Turned down wife okay for an excellent SP-101

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Turned down wife okay for an excellent SP-101

Post by ruger22 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:30 pm

Was out yesterday doing some needed errands and stopped at one of the gun shops for a few minutes. They had a .22 SP on the rack, new.

I always try them out when I see one, just out of curiosity. I have seen only one out of a few dozen in the last two years I would have bought, if I wanted one and could afford it. This one made it two.

The others have had two chambers (always two, usually adjacent) that lock in looser than the other six; or noticeably stiff cocking/trigger pull; or the over-turned barrel misalignment; or a combination of these. I've found a very few with bad tool marks in the cylinder window, along with the aforementioned.

This SP had zero reasons to squawk. Good fit and finish, consistent snug lockup, as smooth and easy trigger as I've found on a new rimfire revolver. No need for Wolff springs on this one.

The wife told me I should go ahead and get it. I told her no, I am actually happier with my Sentinels. I DO wish they were stainless, but otherwise I like them better.

She had promised I could get a new gun when she got back to work, but she's only been at it six weeks and is not quite full time. The SP would also mean a holster or two, a few parts, and maybe other grips. I think the Nylon Hogue would be some improvement over the factory rubber tube.

I suppose I could live with the peg mount grip, but I prefer two piece old style grips. I can't get past that big front sight though, and no one makes an alternative yet. The barrel rib is a bit too much metal, too.

My two old Sentinels, with all their extras, totaled about a hundred more than this SP OTD. From typical posts I read, they outshoot a SP, too.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener
Garrulous Maximus
Garrulous Maximus

Post by greener » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:24 am

I shot an SP101 Tuesday. Excellent shooting .22. I'm tempted to get one. Maybe I'll get rid of the Taurus 94 as part of the deal.