MK II malfunction

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

MK II malfunction

Post by Yleefox » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:30 pm

Took the ole MK II target model to the range today and loaded up a magazine, inserted it in the gun, and tried to pull the trigger. The trigger did move to the rear but then stopped and the firearm failed to discharge. I let up on the trigger and tried pulling it again and it fired this time. Strange part is that sometimes it fires and sometimes it requires my releasing the trigger and pulling it a second time. This pistol has at least 25,000 rounds through it since I've owned it.

Any thoughts?

Patrick

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:16 am

I would start with a good detail cleaning. What I suspect is that the disconnector is sticking. Also check the plunger/spring in the trigger that pushes the disconnector up. They have a tendency to stick which will cause malfunctions. The disconnector should ride away from the frame. I have found some bent which caused them to bind. I just straighten them out and their good to go.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

maybe

Post by Yleefox » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:53 am

Blue,

Sorry about the delay in replying. First I want to thank you for taking the time to answer my post.

I have completely disassembled the gun, with the exception of the mag release. As you might imagine it was quite caked with carbon and other gunk. The plunger that pushes up on the disconnector appeared to be functioning as it should. In fact, I did not see anything that wasn't working as it should, however, the upper part of the disconnector about the square shaped hole, looks to be ever so slightly bent to the left, just a few thousands of an inch I would think. Is this the area you mentioned that is sometimes bent or is it supposed to be like this. I could disassemble one of my other pistols and compare the two, however what's to say it wouldn't also be bent.

Thanks
Patrick

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:56 pm

From the way you describe the position of the disconnector it's in the proper position. But heavy carbon fouling can cause things to stick. I have seen where the upper barrel/bolt has been cocked just a little and cause things to stick.

Since you are most of the way there, go ahead and do it the right way and remove rest of the parts for a good cleaning. Remove the trigger too. Once you do this a few time it's not that hard. I do a complete detail clean every 2000 rounds or when the LCI starts sticking. When it starts sticking feeding problems accour.

Here is the link to help with the disassembly and reassembly.
http://www.guntalk-online.com/service.html
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

done...i hope

Post by Yleefox » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:56 pm

Well it's back together and so far it is working as it should. Next trip to the range will provide the proof.

Thanks for the help

Patrick