I'm about to enter .22 (22/45) competition - my practice (ai

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

I'm about to enter .22 (22/45) competition - my practice (ai

Post by FourCornerm'n » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:41 am

Time, money and the visitation of age mean that I'll be entering competition after 3 year's of no shooting at all, as a bullseye competetito. This is a real challenge because I've never been anything but really bad at bullseye shooting.

My 30 + year old Daisy 777 air gun started tossing shots real slow and low last night for the first time. Gun's hardly been used and I guess it's the seals that've been in place too long. I don't have a lot of money so I don't want to go to two or three people to get this gun back into specs. What are my optioons, if anyone has had experience with these pistols or problems?

Are there any web sites like this that discuss air guns?

If there's not too much snow pack / ice on the hill to our local range, I'll be going through some kind of paces or another , seeng what happens when I first stare downrange with old eyes and, maybe a Merit device, if I can get it to stay on my lense. Haven't shot a bullseye match since the mi mid or early 90's and I'm glad I knew some of the guys because I woulda been a real laughing stock otherwise. Whew !

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:41 am

Some time all it takes is a drop of oil in the intake hole to get the seals to seal. Very common for seals to dry out over time.

Good luck.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:36 pm

First thing I oughta' do then is find the tube of oil that came with the pistol. It may be that easy since I haven't done even the basic maintenance before.

If I can't find the Daisy oil and don'are their other kinds that would work well? I have the time, though, so I might wait for to find the original, or get some more.

Thanks

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:44 am

Normally you would use a non-detergent oil. But in a pinch std motor oil or gun oil will work.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:22 am

Thanks

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:55 pm

I think bgreene rejuvenated his old Crossman pump with a little oil.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:28 pm

Yup a couple drops on this ton and we were back in bidness
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

FourCornerm'n
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by FourCornerm'n » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:38 pm

I should have a tube of Crosman PellGunOil by next week. Daisy's first recommendation is to use 20 weight non-detergent motor oil, but I haven't been able to find a small amount in this small town. The Crosman oil will cost less than a quart of motor oil and should be the right oil to use.

But, I'm wondering if it's as simple as putting a small amount on the side of the seal and hoping it works its way around the whole seal on the Daisy 777? Or do I have to take the gun apart to oil the seal properly? It looks like a chore.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:24 pm

There should be a hole for the oil to go into. Normally it's the input for the air pump. This is normally exposed when you raise the pump handle.
David

Custom Built 1911