Sling Shot Conversion 22/45

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: slingshot mod

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:48 am

AllGator wrote:True enough...if you are standing still and holding the pistol vertically (eg, Bullseye, steel challenge, plinking.) But, begin with a rapid draw from a holstered weapon; start running around; perform a rapid reload; get in some awkward shooting positions; have the pistol in other than vertical positions; and, avoid having the pistol going to slide lock at unwanted times. Then you want spring pressure on the bolt hold open.

The fix doesn't require much effort and virtually no money. See above.

A=G
don't normally shoot gangsta style, and a MarkIII may react totally different, this was done on a .markII
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

AllGator

Gangsta' style

Post by AllGator » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:51 am

Gansta' style.

No OM...just participate in IPSC, USPSA, IDPA, or some action steel events. Just saying.

A-G
That which fails to destroy, serves to strengthen

bearandoldman

Re: Gangsta' style

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:59 am

AllGator wrote:Gansta' style.

No OM...just participate in IPSC, USPSA, IDPA, or some action steel events. Just saying.

A-G
did not know they did that with rimfire. the gun will operate 90 degrees off vertical but after that you could have a problem unless spring assisted. actually 90 degrees off vertical would be homeboy and not gangsta

AllGator

Gangsta/homeboy

Post by AllGator » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:34 am

OM,

The 22/45 Lite that my 9-year old granddaughter uses to participate in the local IDPA and steel matches is the pistol with which I set up for her. So, my experience with rimfire is limited to it. Junior competitors are allowed to compete with equipment that is outside adult requirements. Of course, most of the steel events are for rimfire. All of the shooting organizations have active junior programs.

Our sport is under continual attack from the political correct crowd. Referring to it as "gangsta'," "homeboy," "survivors-style," or other such pejorative terms only gives them fuel for the fire. It's the same reason we do not allow competitors to wear camo or mall-ninja apparel. Not trying to be overly sensitive, but I guess I am sensitive about this issue.

Understand that the bolt lock back lever bouncing UP at unwanted times is the biggest problem.

Good Shooting.

A-G

BTW OM, I'm 76-years old. Been in various completive marksmanship for over 50 years. Can I be OM II?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:42 am

shot mine a lot of rounds over the years and never had it bounce up and cause a problem.
Talking about misuse of terms, saw a picture on the news this morning someone shoed a 6 month old with a bolt action rifle and the news people called it an assault rifle. If I paint my 10/22 carbine black does that make it an assault rifle or a tactical rifle? Will take mine out and try it at various angle, but it has get above 40 before I will do that.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:27 pm

I've haven't had any bounce back locks in my personal 22/45's either.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Sure is nice you old guys let us kiddies hang out with you. :lol:

Target backers on 25yd and 50yd ranges at Black Creek are 2'x8' plywood with the 8' horizontal. A couple of guys stapled full size silhouettes rotated 90° so they fit. Took them down before I could get pictures of me shooting homeboy and gangsta style at those targets.

AllGator

bounce back

Post by AllGator » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:53 pm

Just one example: Approaching the edge of a wall from the left; Three targets with several no-shoots partially shielding them; First target engaged with a center mass double-tap; Second target lower and required crouching while "slicing the pie" toward the left...double-tap center mass again; Third target (more "slicing the pie") required kneeling (right knee on the ground) accompanied by an exaggerated off-balance looking back down the wall...with the pistol virtually horizontal...double-tap head shot. Lock back on the fifth shot!

Guys, I'm not trying to build a case that a slingshot mod demands a spring. But, in competition, the time require to clear an unwanted lock back puts you at a serious disadvantage. And they do happen without the added insurance of a spring. That's why I figured out how to install one.

Here are some pictures of my slingshot mod.

Externally, nothing visible.

Internally it looks like this:

The modified spring looks like this:

Sorry if I'm sounding overly defensive here.

Still running and gunning.

A-G

bearandoldman

Re: bounce back

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:06 pm

AllGator wrote:Just one example: Approaching the edge of a wall from the left; Three targets with several no-shoots partially shielding them; First target engaged with a center mass double-tap; Second target lower and required crouching while "slicing the pie" toward the left...double-tap center mass again; Third target (more "slicing the pie") required kneeling (right knee on the ground) accompanied by an exaggerated off-balance looking back down the wall...with the pistol virtually horizontal...double-tap head shot. Lock back on the fifth shot!

Guys, I'm not trying to build a case that a slingshot mod demands a spring. But, in competition, the time require to clear an unwanted lock back puts you at a serious disadvantage. And they do happen without the added insurance of a spring. That's why I figured out how to install one.

Sorry if I'm sounding overly defensive here.

Still running and gunning.

A-G
you got to do what you think is best for the situation to have confidence when you step to the lines, some cases, overkill ns better than under kill. why do I most normally carry b2 guns?

AllGator

slingshot mod

Post by AllGator » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:14 pm

Many thanks to Bullseye for helping this computer illiterate to post the pictures in my previous message. You can cut the tail of the "G" somewhat shorter and let it rest behind the hump on the lever. Thus avoiding cutting the notch in the lever.

Before I made this one out of a scavenged piece of an old High Standard mag, I made a pattern out of a common paper clip. It actually worked also. It does work better than gravity and is about as cheap.

A-G

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:27 am

I thought your spring latch idea was quite clever. Seeing the spring helps. You could forgo the notch by simply looping the very end of the spring over, like the magazine disconnect spring does on the sear capture hook.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:21 am

Soon as we get some above freezing weather I am going to test fire my, no added parts mod at various angles other than vertical and see what happens. Too damned old to do that run and gun stuff even though I would like to. Wonder if they have a class for octogenarians?

AllGator

categories

Post by AllGator » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:02 am

OM

SuperSenior class starts at 62 years old...just whippersnappers. OM you're never too old. When I was in my 50's, I could win; when I was in my 60's, I was a contender; when I got to my 70's, I became a pretender; now, I'm a survivor. But, still running (well...maybe walking fast) and gunning. Most importantly, having fun!!

A-G
Last edited by AllGator on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

bearandoldman

Re: categories

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:16 am

AllGator wrote:OM

SuperSenior class starts at 62 years old...just whippersnappers. OM you're never too old. When I was in my 50's, I could win; when I was in my 60's, I was a contender; when I got to my 70's, was became a pretender; now, I'm a survivor. But, still running (well...maybe walking fast) and gunning. Most importantly, having fun!!

A-G
I am more of a walk slowly and carry a big gun

AllGator

Big gun

Post by AllGator » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:43 am

OM

The Ruger is a pistol set up for my 9-year old granddaughter to participate. My pistol of choice is normally a CZ97...which is a 45ACP.

Boy, this thread has wandered.

Whatever...good shooting.

A-G