Sling Shot Conversion 22/45

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Dusky

Sling Shot Conversion 22/45

Post by Dusky » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Just put a VQ trigger and sear a Bam bushing and LCI filler in my 22/45 lite. While I was in there I did the sling shot conversion removing the bolt stop lever detent ball and spring. I now have a very nice trigger right at two and a quarter pounds. The magazine safety is gone and so is the loaded chamber indicator. Everythiny works great except the sling shot modification did not work I still have to depress the bolt stop to load a round. Any suggestion on how to get the sling shot modification to work?

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Sling Shot Conversion 22/45

Post by bearandoldman » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:30 pm

Dusky wrote:Just put a VQ trigger and sear a Bam bushing and LCI filler in my 22/45 lite. While I was in there I did the sling shot conversion removing the bolt stop lever detent ball and spring. I now have a very nice trigger right at two and a quarter pounds. The magazine safety is gone and so is the loaded chamber indicator. Everythiny works great except the sling shot modification did not work I still have to depress the bolt stop to load a round. Any suggestion on how to get the sling shot modification to work?
Just make sure it is smooth and straight and moves freely with the top end off
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Dusky

Post by Dusky » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Tandemkross bolt stop problem solved.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:39 pm

sling shotting is better for wear on the slide stop, I presume.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Hakaman wrote:sling shotting is better for wear on the slide stop, I presume.
I'd think so, but it would take a lot of slide stop releases so you would notice the wear.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:05 am

It doesn't take much improper use to wear the bolt stop or the bolt face. There are some pictures in this thread of worn parts by repeatedly closing the bolt via the bolt stop release lever. http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... 7176#27176

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:30 am

I stand corrected. It took me a while to get around to doing the mod on my 2 22/45's and the MKII was purchased used. Neither have any damage, but, I believe that most of my bolt closures before the mod were by pulling the bolt back then depressing the bolt stop button. The mod certainly makes the operation of the pistol simpler and easier.

AllGator

slingshot fix

Post by AllGator » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:18 pm

Gotta' a feeling that I may be providing some information on how to reinvent the wheel: This is too simple not to have been done before. Sorry about the absence of pix...don't know how and too lazy to learn. Old dog and all that. Hope the description will suffice.

After removing the detent and spring from the bolt stop lever, I found that relying on gravity to make the slingshot mod work...didn't work. At least all the time. I noticed that there is a .725 x .500 x .050 pocket in the frame next to the bolt stop lever. I scavenged a length of spring steel wire from an old High Standard mag and bent it into a squared "G" form. The top length was .725; the front vertical length was .500; the bottom length was again .725; and the back vertical length was .300 to the inside tail of the "G." The final 1/32 off the tail was bent inward 90 degrees and sits on top of the bolt stop lever right behind the hump in the lever. The spring simply is inserted into the pocket and is held in place when the receiver is mounted. Voila! Spring tension on the lever. Much, much better than gravity...and almost as cheap.

BTW: I first made a pattern for the spring from a paper clip...and that actually worked, too.

Boy, it's been quiet around here.

A-G
That which fails to destroy, serves to strengthen

greener

Post by greener » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:23 pm

That sounds like something to fiddle with.

And you are right. it has been quiet.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:00 pm

If you want to have me post that picture for you. Just send it to me in an email and I'll edit it into your post.

R,
Bullseye

oldfart64

slingshot alternative

Post by oldfart64 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:34 pm

ok, tandamkross, has a new product

http://www.tandemkross.com/2245-KaneWol ... _p_69.html

however, as you might imagine, it is already out of stock and thy are taking wait lists .
it is advertised at $24.95

I should have been quicker on the trigger (haha) as this is one mod I really would like to have.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Until the TK part is available in stock again, you can use the video, or follow this link http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detai ... .htm#ssmod , to see how to remove the 22/45 bolt stop lever and then just simply remove the detent spring and ball from your existing bolt stop lever. I have found that the spring is not necessary in most cases to perform slingshot loading in a 22/45 pistol. Having the lever spring loaded is fine and will ensure 100% bolt stop drop with each retraction of the bolt ears.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:27 am

Bullseye wrote:Until the TK part is available in stock again, you can use the video, or follow this link http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detai ... .htm#ssmod , to see how to remove the 22/45 bolt stop lever and then just simply remove the detent spring and ball from your existing bolt stop lever. I have found that the spring is not necessary in most cases to perform slingshot loading in a 22/45 pistol. Having the lever spring loaded is fine and will ensure 100% bolt stop drop with each retraction of the bolt ears.

R,
Bullseye
I don't recall a failure of the bolt stop to work on an empty mag after doing the ssmod on my two.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:01 am

I may have been the originator of the sling shot mod back in 2004? I wanted to make my MarkII22/45 operate the sa,e way as my 1911's. Talked the mod over eith Bullseye when we were moderators on another forum, it made sxense to both of us, Didit to 3 guns and never had a problem, but neve did the modon a MarkIII
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

AllGator

slingshot mod

Post by AllGator » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:43 am

True enough...if you are standing still and holding the pistol vertically (eg, Bullseye, steel challenge, plinking.) But, begin with a rapid draw from a holstered weapon; start running around; perform a rapid reload; get in some awkward shooting positions; have the pistol in other than vertical positions; and, avoid having the pistol going to slide lock at unwanted times. Then you want spring pressure on the bolt hold open.

The fix doesn't require much effort and virtually no money. See above.

A=G
That which fails to destroy, serves to strengthen