1953 Standard

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

1953 Standard

Post by teejay » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:25 pm

I have posted this on another site, so if you've seen it, it's still the one. The answers were confusing, so I thought I'd try here for an answer.
I have a '53 4 3/4 barrel "standard," that is marked "Ruger Automatic Pistol." there are no other markings on it except address, etc. Is this considered a MKI, or something else? TJ

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:46 am

Your '53' Standard would be considered of the Mark I generation of Ruger .22 Autopistols but not technically a "Mark I" pistol. This is because a Mark I was the designation of the first target modified versions Ruger made to their original .22 pistol which they called the Standard. This first generation of pistols had no last shot bolt hold open feature, other than the thumb safety which was manually engaged by the user to lock open the bolt. The first ones have the A54 frame which has the magazine follower track on the right-hand side of the frame. Later in 1971, the frame punch press stamping dies wore out and Ruger made a new A-100 frame for the Mark I generation pistols with the follower tracks located on the left-hand side of the frame, where all the later generation models have this feature today. The target upgrades that defined the Mark I, which they stamped on the side of the receiver barrel, included adjustable target sights and a heavier profile tapered barrel. Later the Mark I line would include a "bull" or untapered straight target barrel. The Standard pistol is still a model offered throughout all the subsequent generations of .22 Autopistols and have fixed metal sights on a thin tapered barrel profile.

R,
Bullseye

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks, Bullseye. I will simply call it a '53 Standard, and let the others sort it out. TJ