Any Experience with Pac-Lite Barrels?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Ninety-North

Any Experience with Pac-Lite Barrels?

Post by Ninety-North » Wed May 02, 2007 3:53 pm

I have a Ruger MKIII4 (4.75" Luger type barrel) and am getting into Bullseye shooting. I am considering changing out the barrel and was wondering if anyone had experience and/or opinions on the Pac-Lite 6" or 8.5" barrels for that application. If there are better and still affordable aftermarket choices, I am open to those as well? In retrospect, I should have gotten one of the target pistols but wasn't aware of the bullseye shooting opportunity until just recently.

Many Thanks

princi

Post by princi » Thu May 03, 2007 9:53 am

Yes, I bought the 8" version to go on a plain-jane MK III. I first ordered the Ruger, and then added VQ kit, the Pac-Lite barrel, VQ grips, and Leupold 4X scope (wish I'd stuck with 2X scope).

I've never shot it off the bench so I can't make any claims about the accuracy, but I do like the gun. I have an old MK II with the long barrel, and when you get down to rounds 8,9 and 10, you can really notice the weight of it. The Pac-Lite is much lighter.

It fit like a glove; no problems what so ever with it. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that it had to be sent to my FFL because it has the serial number on it. However, I don't think she charged me for that, just for the donor gun, which I bought from her.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Pac-Lite barrels based on my experience. Incidentally, I got the black/silver fluted barrel because I thought it would blend better with the donor's blued frame. I don't care much for their funky colors. I'd be afraid to show up at the range with the purple one for fear that it might attract the attention of some guy with an ear ring. :D

Ninety-North

Post by Ninety-North » Thu May 03, 2007 10:20 am

Princi, thanks for the input. The FFL thing will slow me up a bit as I am awaiting delivery of a 9mm - by law we can only purchase a gun every 30 days.

I've already put the VQ sear and trigger in - I thought I was not getting the hammer assembly installed correctly, but in the end I discovered that the hammer rivet was binding on the safety. I sent it back to VQ for replacement.

I couldn't agree more with your opinion on the funky colors - guns should either be black or silver. Won't catch me wearing an ear ring!

princi

Post by princi » Thu May 03, 2007 8:33 pm

I've had that problem with the VQ hammer before too. My solution was to Dremel a groove in the safety. The safety is a real thick piece of metal anyhow. I didn't notice the problem at first, but I was getting light strikes. I kicked myself for going to a lighter main-spring, put the original main-spring back in and still had the problem. It was then that I discovered the rivet rubbing against the safety. I'll be interested in VQ's response.

My most recent purchase has been the 22/45 Target/Hunter version (KP678HMKIII). I bought an adapter for my Power Custom Series I for the Mark II and used it to slightly modify the engagement angle by stoning the sear. I didn't want to get too aggressive so I just went 8 clicks on the fixture. I also lowered the hammer hooks from .030 to .022. I left the main-spring alone. The end results is a 2-3/4lb trigger, which was originally 4lbs. What I don't like is the pre-travel and post-travel. I could go with an aftermarket trigger, but this trigger is already wide, and I like it. I'll stop by the hardware store on the way home from church on Sunday and see if I can get some suitable allen screws, and then drill and tap the trigger. I may not get to the 2lb trigger that I have with VQ's kit, but I've had a little creep with their kit too.

I think that creep is more noticable with a light trigger than with a heavier one. I never noticed any creep with my CZ-452 until I adjusted the trigger to make it lighter. So I ordered the Brooks kit to fix that. It is now a better trigger than the set trigger on my CZ-453.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu May 03, 2007 9:41 pm

Here's a couple of links for drilling a pretravel screw.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye