Target grips for Mk II?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

pepperbelly

Target grips for Mk II?

Post by pepperbelly » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:53 pm

I am new here, but not to shooting or other boards- Hi!
I have a stainless Mk II with a 5.5" bull barrel, a custom comp and am currently using a Leupold/Gilmore red dot scope.
I shoot falling plate matches, and won the overall in the last match, as well as starting to shoot in bullseye. I am currently using the stock grips with a few pieces of grip tape in a couple of places. I am not happy with my grips, especially in bullseye. My score last week was 776, and should have been better.
I have looked at a set of Volquartsen grips. They have a "medium" palm shelf and a thumb rest. I think they are hard rubber. I held a MkIII that had them installed and after a very brief time they seemed to feel good- I did not shoot it with them though.
Since I will be using the pistol for both types of matches, which means both a single hand and double hand grip. I have medium-large hands and long fingers. The MkIII felt good, I think, because it filled my hand better. I have no idea what it will do to my trigger pull.
Has anyone had any experience with this particular grip?
Does anyone have any suggestions for another grip I might look at?

I also shoot a SA .45acp with a similar set-up, that has Pachmeyer grips. Do Pachs work well in this situation?

BTW, neither pistol is exactly stock, although I have kept the trigger pull a little on the heavy side. A lighter pull would help a lot in bullseye but I worry about it in fast action shooting.

Thanks,
Jim

NRA Life Member

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:33 am

If you like the feel of the VQs then you could go with a set. They typically are more for one-handed target shooting but could work for more action oriented shooting diciplines.

Hogue also makes two styles of wrap-around rubber grips that may fit your particular needs better. One style has finger grips and a swell near the middle of the grip. The Hogue grip looks like this...

These sell for around $20, and feel real good gripwise. Hogue also has another style with a small to medium thumb rest. These look like this...

They also sell for around $20 and feel great. Notice the Mark III notch, all these grips are labled for Mark II but if they have this notch then they are also made for the Mark III. The new Hogue grips have all been made with the necessary cut-outs to fit the Mark III model, but may not be labeled as such. The grips in the top picture were owner modified to fit the Mark III and does not have the notch. One cut to the underside and any Hogue grip can be modified for the Mark III.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

pepperbelly

Post by pepperbelly » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:04 pm

Thanks!
I will try the VQs first since a fellow club member has them. If I don't like them I will order a pair of Hogues.
At $20.00- $25.00 it won't hurt much if I decide I don't like 'em.

Jim

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:55 am

I suggest having someone who knows how to stipple the fore and back straps like here. Traction to the hand is most helpful

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:13 am

I've never felt that traction was an issue when using the Hogue grips. The soft rubber construction really grips your hand. When you combine that with the finger grooves, it makes for one great feeling grip.

The stippling job on your pistol looks nice.

One drawback, after applying stippling, the frame or the stippled area must be reblued. Stippling is a tedious process to do right.

R,
Bullseye

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:45 am

Bullseye wrote:I've never felt that traction was an issue when using the Hogue grips. The soft rubber construction really grips your hand. When you combine that with the finger grooves, it makes for one great feeling grip.

The stippling job on your pistol looks nice.

One drawback, after applying stippling, the frame or the stippled area must be reblued. Stippling is a tedious process to do right.

R,
Bullseye
I have tried Hogues w/o the thumbrest. Not bad but I prefer the stippled grip.
The stipple job can be tedious but I have a top BE smith 10 miles away. He has a fit jig to support the metal as he stipples. And yes the area was re-done with cold blue. Rugers metal in the grip is more prone to rust than most I see. I often take down the guns and spray them out with B12 or similar. The stippled area here showed some flash rust almost immediately after the B12 took off all the oils. A quick re-oil fixed it fine. I never saw a re-cold-blue flash that fast. Must be Rugers particular alloy.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:39 pm

Cold bluing just isn't as durable as dipping it in a hot tank. One draw back to that type of finish and stippling, that area will tend to collect oils and acids from your hand. Sounds like you're on top of it so you shouldn't have any problems.

R,
Bullseye

pepperbelly

Post by pepperbelly » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:06 pm

My Match pistol is stainless, so rust isn't as big of a problem.
That stippling looks a lot like the friction tape I use. I imagine the grip is similar too. Grip friction is important, but I need the grip to fill my hand a little more.
My friend didn't make the match tonight, so I am still waiting.

Jim

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue May 01, 2007 8:31 pm

My first thought was Skateboard tape too. I've used that on 22/45s for extra grip holding power. I've also applied an epoxy non-slip grit impregnated material to some of my customer's pistols vice removable tape for a more permanent solution. This 22/45 has had the epoxy treatment.

R,
Bullseye