Getting to like this MK III

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Getting to like this MK III

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:34 pm

Now that my stovepipe problems seem to have been solved thanks to the info on magazine positioning here I'm really happy with this new Mark III. Once I get the trigger cleaned up and lightened I believe it is going to be a nice shooter. I also definitely need to find some grips that I am happy with. I am hoping Volquartsen comes out with their Mark III target grips soon. The ones that they have for the Mark II look like they will need too much doctoring.

Does this pistol have the potential to perform reasonably well in conventional pistol competition? I would not have any Camp Perry ambitions but would like to enter some local 2700 events and would like to feel sufficiently equipped.

DWS

shooter05

MKIII

Post by shooter05 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:41 pm

I have a MKIII Target Bull barrel stainless and love it. I had about 3 FTE and has been smooth sailing since. My son and I have put 1800 rounds thru it and can't wait til next weekend.
On the grips, I have the Hogue with the thumb rest. They need very little modification. Mostly just for where the mag eject button pushes thru opposite side for clearance. Only other issue is the screws from the original seem to be short for the Hogue. I am in the process of tracking down the size for a suitable replacement.
Where am I going and Why am I in a handbasket?

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Grip Screws

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:51 am

Yeah, I tried some Pachmyer grips on mine because I found them pretty cheap at a local gun shop. They were a definite improvement on the factory grips but they had to be carved on a little. Getting them on was a real pain because the factory grip screws just barely reached the threaded holes. I am waiting for Volquartsen to come out with their grips for the MK III. I may try carving a set of wood grips myself. Got nothing to lose except time.

DWS

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:46 pm

Bullseye had the right idea. Call Vic at VQ and request that he make the VQ grips for a MK111. I called and was told that they are looking at the idea. Maybe if enough of us call they will get them on the market.

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

VQ Grips

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:55 pm

Hmmmmmm. I could have sworn I read somewhere that VQ was going to be coming out with a MKIII version of their grips fairly soon. I believe I read it over on MarkII.org

DWS

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:15 pm

I'll clarify; my suggestion was for anyone who has an idea for a Mark III accessory to call VQ and request it. Specifically in this case, I suggested the Mark III trigger - which was previously only available as part of a kit - to be sold separately as a single part.

The Law of suppy and demand dictates that if a great enough need is created then a supplier will provide it, this is especially true if that supplier is in the business of primarily selling replacement parts for specific firearms.

Boomer was just taking that suggestion and running with it on other MKIII parts like the volthane grips. VQ had mentioned producing a Mark III grip but calling can influence the process as to speed up the design, production, and distribution. I have also mentioned that I'd like to modify a set of MKII's for the MKIII, I just haven't had the time to do it right now.

R,
Bullseye
Last edited by Bullseye on Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Calling VQ

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:34 pm

Bullseye,

I remember reading your posts about contacting VQ. That is not what I was referring to. I distinctly remember someone other than yourself having posted that they had already spoken with VQ and that the Mark III grips were coming in just a few weeks. But that was back in mid-summer I believe.

DWS

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:05 pm

I remember reading something about MKIII grips a while back also, could've been the same posting you're thinking of. I know that there could be several reasons why that product hasn't made it to the market yet, although Boomer mentioned just the other day that one version is due out real soon. I just didn't want anyone thinking I was the driving force behind the production of Mark III VQ grips, because I didn't have anything to do with that. I merely suggested if one wants to see a custom part offered, or one sold as a separate item, then call VQ and request it. They are a very customer friendly organization and if it can be made, they'd likely make it, if there's a big enough market for it.

R,
Bullseye