Replated 1985 41

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

mopac

Replated 1985 41

Post by mopac » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:46 pm

Several weeks ago I ran across a 1985 41, that I couldn't walk away from and someone had had it replated with a nickel finish. I haven't shot it yet but have changed the original grips. I have a couple of questions. One is that the slide is so slippery from the nickel that I had to put a small piece of tape, 1/2"x1/2" at the rear end of the slide so I could pull it back to lock it. Couldn't think of anything else to use. I also have 2 Ruger MKlll hunters that I have done the mag disconnect on and I was wondering if something similiar can be done to the 41?
I haven't found any info on disassembly of the lower end, so I assume it can be just sprayed, brushed and flushed clean. I have Bullseye's manual on the upper and have replaced all the parts in the bolt.
Is the recommended slide spring weight 6 1/2# because I'm not sure what weight came with the gun, and I have a hunch it's original.

Thanks guys-

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:55 am

The factory recoil spring is 7#. Wolff sells a spring kit that has three varieties of springs for use with lighter target loads.

No real need to take the lower apart you can get to almost all the components with a cloth and a nylon brush. The M-41 is a very easy pistol to field strip. You can use a little strip of adhesive non-skid tape, like skateboard tape, on your slide to increase the grip-ability.

The M-41's magazine safety mechanism is more mechanically complex than the Ruger and doesn't interfere with the trigger feel. The trigger bar will not engage the sear unless the mag safety hook is lifted upwards. I have seen no reason to deactivate the feature in this model.

R,
Bullseye