22 LR Ammo question (Lead Build Up ?)

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

22 LR Ammo question (Lead Build Up ?)

Post by jstanfield103 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:16 am

I have no experience with lead build up in a 22 bore. But every now and again you hear of it. My question is. I shoot CCI SV a Lot and have recently switched to Federal Auto Match these two have a lubed lead bullet. I have also shot a lot of bulk federal 550 with the copper coating on them. I never shoot Remington. The lead bullets with out the coating on them, as anyone heard of them leading up a barrel ? I like the lesser velocity stuff for accuracy or is the copper coated best ?

Also just a side note I am looking to buy an older style Volquartsen target trigger with the wide blade, if anyone has one and would part with it give me an Email or PM so I could purchase it from you.
Thanks

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:52 am

The only leading problem I ever had was with Rem Ammo. Fed and the rest no problem.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Bullets

Post by arizona-hermit » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:11 pm

I switched from lubed lead to clad bullets many years ago after a particularly nasty incident involving several cases of lubed lead bullets in a vehicle (at a shooting area) on a hot AZ afternoon.

Lets just say it took a long time to clean up the individual cartridges. They were very sticky and fouling was severe.

Never bought lubed lead again for any .22 I own.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:48 pm

I have had CCI Sv that looked like it was over heated and had globs of lube on it.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:06 pm

I've never had any globs of lead barrel leading. I've had a lot of dirty patches when I've swabbed the barrel with JB Bore cleaner. I've heard stories of heaving leading with Rem Golden Bullets and ropes of lead from other ammo.

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:14 pm

Greener and others I have not ethier, I just was curious because every now and then you hear of it. must be cheap ammo, I never shoot remington ammo but it does sound like it has a problem on the internet anyway

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:38 am

I have shot many Bricks of CCI SV AND OTHER LUBED LEAD SUCH AS wPLF mt sk eLEY ,
R
WS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY BARREL LEAADING PROBLEMS AND VERY RARELY EVER PUT A PATCH DOWN THE BARREL, UNLES STHE GROUPS sTART LOOKING LIKE SHOTGUN PATTERNS.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:31 am

It seems that the only ammo being talked about on all the forums is Remington Thunderbolt. Don't know why I have never seen a box of them but I never buy Remington maybe that's why I have never seen them. My Dad only shot Remington way back in the day and he never even cleaned our gun's that I remember seeing. He liked the Remington because they used a wax coating that kept the barrel cleaner he would say. The must not have made the Thunderbolt back then ?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:09 am

waaay back in the day, yes they were good ammo, bit no more. Recently my youngest son came home and dug a box out of the corner of a basement closet that had not been opened for maybe 20 years. He gave me all the ammo that was in there.There was a brick of CCI Blazer inn a box I have never seen before. Also a box of Golden Bullets, have shot some but they were very erratic, Shot those old ones in my 597 race gun and was surprised at the small grouping The Blazers shot well also.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:45 am

Yes, there will be a buildup at some point. I shoot a wide variety of different 22 ammo, which possibly aggravates the buildup.

I had an epiphany last year regarding this (see link). Since reading a story in Precision Shooting a few decades back about ELY not cleaning their bores, I decided I would do the same, I was wrong. Lesson learned.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... t=cleaning

http://s838.beta.photobucket.com/user/s ... s%20fouled

Now I clean the bores once a year, before outdoor season. So about every 5-10,000 rds.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

greener

Post by greener » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:15 pm

bearandoldman wrote:I have shot many Bricks of CCI SV AND OTHER LUBED LEAD SUCH AS wPLF mt sk eLEY ,
R
WS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY BARREL LEAADING PROBLEMS AND VERY RARELY EVER PUT A PATCH DOWN THE BARREL, UNLES STHE GROUPS sTART LOOKING LIKE SHOTGUN PATTERNS.
You convinced me I was cleaning .22's way too often. Now I clean them when the spirit moves me. The most moving spirits lately have been on the rocks, and haven't had too much to do with gun cleaning, no problems with leading so far.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:01 pm

Many years ago, back in the 50's, I remember flakes of lead coming out of the barrel of my old single shot .22 as I ran a bore brush through it. But I haven't seen that for many, many years. I still have that gun.....or rather my son has it and it doesn't lead up anymore. I shoot a lot of .22's in many different guns and haven't had barrel leading problems in any of them......not since the 50's.

Winchester 60A
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Very nice gun

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:30 pm

greener wrote:Very nice gun
Purchased by my grandad from a man on the street for $1in the 30's or early 40's. It's had many stocks over the years made from 2x4's and 2x6's and stained with blackberry juice. This stock is one I made from teak. No finish, just natural coloring. The scope is a Weaver B4 from late 50's or early 60's.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:01 pm

You did a great job the stock. I have a Win M69 that doesn't look nearly as good, but it has lot's of history. You gotta love guns like that.