My new MK III Standard

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

My new MK III Standard

Post by teejay » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:40 pm

After finding myself without a .22 pistol, I went and got a MK III Standard in blue. A couple of questions. I noticed that it was made of "Steel Alloy." Not familiar with that. It's magnetic, so what's the "alloy?" Also, will it take Stingers, or is that too much for the springs and I should just stick to Mini Mags? I did have a Mk III SS 512 a few years back, but sold it because of a number of reasons. Mainly a wife that hated guns. Now, wife's just somebody I used to know and I re-started my gun collection. Thanks, TJ

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:48 pm

Steel is an alloy. Not sure what the mystery is there.

Stingers will accelerate wear and provide no real benefits from a short barrel - mini mags or bulk are just fine, your manual probably calls for "standard or high velocity ammunition" and cautions against hyper-velocity" like Stingers or the other ridiculous-pressure rounds.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:03 am

Hyper velocity ammo will cause severe wear in your pistol, especially the recoil spring assy, the bolt stop, and the breech face & bolt.

When I first met my now wife, one of the first tests was a trip to the firing range. If she hadn't passed that first checkpoint we wouldn't have had a second one. She really knows what it is like to be a range widow, with all the countless hours out on the firing line and weeks away at various competitions all around the country.

R,
Bullseye

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Thanks fellows. I hadn't heard the term "steel alloy," so I was thrown a bit on that. They could have easily just said "Steel." But, hey, that's just me. I'll avoid the hyper stuff and stick to my CCI mini mags as per your helpful suggestions. Thanks for your time. TJ

greener

Post by greener » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:02 pm

I've never been too excited about hyper velocity .22's. Fired some stingers and wasn't happy with feeding or target results. How many rounds of these do you have to fire to see the pistol damage.

A MKIII Standard is a good way to return to .22 pistols. I'd have serious withdrawal without one.

My wife ended my budding target shooting career 4 years before we were married. She made the college rifle team and I didn't. :roll:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:04 pm

Depends on the mileage your pistol already has upon it. I doubt a few would hurt but a couple of thousand of these and the wear would likely start to make itself known.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:15 am

I've shot the hyper a few time but only on a new gun that had problem with HV. I used them to help break/loosen the gun up. But I never shot more than a box of them. Like said Hyper rounds are not recommended. I saw one gun where the user had been shooting them and it damaged the RS back at the bolt stop. He had less than 1500 round through it. I have probably over 15k-20k through my MKIII ( in 4 yrs) and it still looks new. I lost count on how may rounds I put through it years ago. It's so easy to put 550 rounds in no time when your having fun.

Shoot the SV or HV and it will out last you......
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:57 pm

greener wrote:I've never been too excited about hyper velocity .22's. Fired some stingers and wasn't happy with feeding or target results. How many rounds of these do you have to fire to see the pistol damage.

A MKIII Standard is a good way to return to .22 pistols. I'd have serious withdrawal without one.

My wife ended my budding target shooting career 4 years before we were
married. She made the college rifle team and I didn't. :roll:
Yes, felt naked without a nice little .22. Always been a fan of the standard, all it needs are some wood grips and I am happy.
I've got a '53 5 digit s/n Standard, but it's in safe keeping at my daughters. Figure for $370 OTD couldn't go wrong. Just wondered why they said "Steel Alloy?" It's just steel, right? TJ

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:24 pm

Steel is an alloy made by combining iron and other elements, the most common of these being carbon. When carbon is used, its content in the steel is between 0.2% and 2.1% by weight, depending on the grade. Other alloying elements sometimes used are manganese, chromium, vanadium and tungsten.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:24 pm

bigfatdave wrote:Steel is an alloy made by combining iron and other elements, the most common of these being carbon. When carbon is used, its content in the steel is between 0.2% and 2.1% by weight, depending on the grade. Other alloying elements sometimes used are manganese, chromium, vanadium and tungsten.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel
Thanks Big Dave for clearing that up. If it were me, I would have just said "Steel." That's the point anyway you want to put it. It's made of Steel, no aluminium, no composites. Just good old fashioned steel. Now, I'll find some nice wood grips, and ride off a happy .22 pistol owner. Thanks, Tom

greener

Post by greener » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:36 pm

I've enjoyed the Hogue rubber grips

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?mai ... ts_id=4211

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:53 am

Thanks Greener, but settled on these

http://www.woodgrips.com/ruger_mkiii.htm

Just like the feel of wood on my guns. That's just me. TJ

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:33 am

Those look pretty good.
I sometimes think about new mkIII grips, but the stock set works - which makes the cost hard to justify.

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:15 pm

Like I said before, I just like the feel of wood and steel. (That's an unintended Rhyme!) Thanks for the input, Big Dave. TJ

rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:51 pm

I'm glad I read this.
I have a MKIII that i bought new about 5 years ago, Standard Model, 6" barrel. I mostly fire bulk Winchester, Federal, and CCI Blazer high velocity rounds.
I have run less than a magazine of Stingers, and the same amount of Remington Yellow Jackets, while dispatching chickens (the wife and I have a small farm). Maybe 20 rounds max. But no more as of this moment.
Thanks, guys.
"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill

VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America