My new MK III Standard

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:54 am

I've shot 1 box of Stingers (50 rounds total) out of a couple different pistols, they do a nice job on putting deer down that were hit by cars, that velocity works well.

I'm perfectly happy with bulk ammo and mini mags so I'll probably not shoot any more of 'em.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:04 pm

One thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a lot of hate for the MK III. Mainly because of the safety features put on there, i.e. the mag disconnect, the LCI, and to some, the mag release. I like these features. The old P.08 Luger had an LCI. Many old Colt's, the M1903/08 had a mag disconnect safety, as did others. It makes it it easy to see at a glance if it's loaded, and it won't fire if there's a round inadvertently left in the chamber with the mag out. All these make it, well, safer. Why all the hate? I know people like to trick them out, but I don't see what's wrong with the new safety stuff. TJ

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Some folks do get worked up over the safety additions. They are fine pistols with them. It took me a while to get around to removing the mag disconnects, but only because it was a pain to replace the hammer with the disconnect pieces. I haven't seen any reason to remove the LCI's.

I'd be happy to take those unwanted MKIII's off anyone's hands.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:12 pm

Most of the new features are easily bypassed. I prefer the 1911 style magazine release over the older heel magazine latch. Some folks are traditionalists and think the original model is perfect the way it was created and shouldn't have been altered, I'm not in that category.

R,
Bullseye

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:36 am

It's all about personal preference, I to like the 1911 style mag release that's why my Mark II 10" has a mark III frame on it. I also do not care for the stiff magazine coming out (you have to pull the mag out by hand ) I like the mag to just fly out in my hand when released thats why I use the bushing to do away with the magazine disconnect. The LCI gets dirty and crappy looking after a very short amount of rounds through the gun, hard to clean and I never ever even look at it when using the gun so I made a SS LCI plug and removed the factory LCI. Still have all the parts to return it to factory if needed.
Just what you like as far as any of the safeties go.

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:42 pm

Seems to be like buying a new car and then removing the Air Bags and cutting the seat belts off. Whatever you guys do is OK by me. I like mine just the way it is. TJ

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:26 pm

I left the mag disconnect in my two MKIII's for several years. Finally removed it and replaced it with Sam Lam's bushings. It was just annoying to fiddle with the three pieces when I did an r/r on the hammer. Nice thing about Rugers are they will shoot just fine with or without the "safety" features.

teejay
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by teejay » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 pm

I think that's the source of all the dislike. Some guys/gals like to take their guns apart and fiddle around with them. From what I've gathered, the mag disconnect safety makes it hard to R&R. Since taking the MK III is harder than most to dismantle, I usually don't tinker with it like I would on a 1911. I'd probably would feel differently if I took it apart more often, TJ

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:29 am

The only thing I could see the mag disconnect did was add a few seconds to field stripping because it had to be inserted to decock the hammer. I can't imagine many times I'm going to shoot a .22 target/plinking pistol without a magazine inserted. It is a tortured path of reasoning for this to be a safety feature.

I don't detail strip the MKIII's that often but once I got annoyed with having to hold all the pieces together, decided I didn't have to do that and ordered the bushings. Like most folks, I think the MKII is a pretty good pistol and the only real enhancement with the first MKIII was the magazine release position. Ruger has really improved the product line in the last 2-3 years, but I don't think anything beats the 5.5" bull barrel or the 6 7/8" GC.(MKII or MKIII)

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:02 pm

teejay wrote:Seems to be like buying a new car and then removing the Air Bags and cutting the seat belts off. Whatever you guys do is OK by me. I like mine just the way it is. TJ
The difference being that seat belts and air bags provide a useful safety feature.

It is more like buying a new car and taking off the warning stickers and removing the dinger for when the key is in the ignition and the door is open.
(actually, I can't think of a feature on a vehicle as useless as a magazine interlock or LCI are on a target pistol, that was as close as I could come)

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:04 pm

greener wrote:The only thing I could see the mag disconnect did was add a few seconds to field stripping because it had to be inserted to decock the hammer. I can't imagine many times I'm going to shoot a .22 target/plinking pistol without a magazine inserted. It is a tortured path of reasoning for this to be a safety feature.
I'm waiting for some moron to stuff a loaded mag in and shoot him/her-self in the hand during the magazine interlock fulfillment dance Ruger expects mkIII owners to perform every time the clean their guns.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:32 pm

bigfatdave wrote:
greener wrote:The only thing I could see the mag disconnect did was add a few seconds to field stripping because it had to be inserted to decock the hammer. I can't imagine many times I'm going to shoot a .22 target/plinking pistol without a magazine inserted. It is a tortured path of reasoning for this to be a safety feature.
I'm waiting for some moron to stuff a loaded mag in and shoot him/her-self in the hand during the magazine interlock fulfillment dance Ruger expects mkIII owners to perform every time the clean their guns.
I'm not worried about that. All my guns are unloaded :lol: