Old Style Volquartsen Trigger Pre-travel

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Old Style Volquartsen Trigger Pre-travel

Post by jstanfield103 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:55 pm

I have posted about my new to me Mark II 10" barrel. It has the old style Volquartsen wide target trigger. I really like the feel of the wide trigger pad. This trigger had the over travel take up allen head screw but not the pre-travel screw. I used to have the model Mark III with the pre and after travel screws and really liked it. I figured I would try and drill and tap the old style trigger on this gun for the pre-travel screw. It turned out to work really well, and I am really liking the feel now. I am not a gunsmith but GunSmith's usually start some where on there own stuff also.

Not Perfect but really works well. Very Pleased

stewswanson

Pre-travel

Post by stewswanson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:28 pm

Nice job on the pretravel screw.Just for others info, what size screw did you use. I have also D+T a trigger and my reciever for a rail. Most of this is possible without special jigs or even a drill press. Just has to proceed with caution and THINK before you do anything.
Stew

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:10 am

Nice job. It's not really a hard task to do if a guy is patient & careful especially with all the how to's that bullseye has posted on this site. I use 4-40 screws on my triggers. Seems to work out real good for me. Some use 6-32 but I find the smaller screws work better especially for the pre-travel where there is not much material to work with. It's amazing how much better I can shoot my mark lll's just by installing those screws & tuning them to what suits me. Plus a little hammer & sear work which produced a crisp 3 3/4 lb pull makes a big difference on both of my Rugers. They are such a pleasure to shoot. I hope you enjoy yours half as much as we do the ones I have.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:26 am

I have a DIY on tapping those triggers in this thread http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12

The plus side of this style of modification is making adjustments is much easier because they are all external to the frame. Not long after this DIY went out Volquartsen came out with their new style series of target triggers with the external adjustments for pretravel.

R,
Bullseye

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:58 am

Bullseye I did use you're post and even copied it and saved it on my computer. It was very helpful as you are also to me. You're site here is one of the better one's. have received very helpful insite from you on my Model 41 and on my Ruger's. I want to personally thank you for you're help over the years. I used the 6-32 set screw because i had one on hand with the tap and drill already. I would have rather had the 4-40 but as Bullseye pointed out in the the post link he provided it might be to easy to break the size tap at that angle.
I have had the Volquartsen trigger with the pre travel but I like the older wider trigger better I believe.