Finally Got My Mark II 10" Sear Needed

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Finally Got My Mark II 10" Sear Needed

Post by jstanfield103 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:34 pm

I have had several Ruger Mark series pistols over the years. I have always wanted the 10" Mark II. I just got rid of my S&W Model 41 to help pay taxes on a newer car so I needed another 22 Pistol. I decided to get a Ruger Mark II 10" finally. I bought one off GunBroker and it finally arrived yesterday. The GunBroker add stated that the gun was in Excellent Condition and was fired very little. When I got home I looked at the gun, could not do it at the gun shop had the wife pick it up for me, I had to work every day all the time the FFL shop was open. I pull the action on the gun and placed a snap cap in the chamber to see what the trigger pull was like. When I pulled the trigger it would not fire. The hammer would not fall. I took the gun apart and it was ful of crud. It looked like it had not been cleaned since the target trigger was put in. I have never ever seen a gun so dirty. Took the gun apart to see what was causing it not to fire, nothing was wrong just very dirty. While cleaning I noticed the sear was worn really well also. I stoned the sear to even it up not changing the angle (just very little stoning) cleaned the gun oiled and greased and put it back together. Works perfect now. The barrel looked clean and the rifling was good. Very nice gun even though a little bluing is worn off the back of the frame where the palm rests. I will have it hard chromed around tax time by Clark's Custom Guns, I will also have them drill and tap it for a scope rail. The gun was not excellent but it will be as soon as I get finished with it.
If anyone has a extra pretty new or new sear that they have extra or left over from putting in a Valquartsen sear in I would appreciate it if you would sell it to me. I am going to put a Valquartsen sear and hammer in eventually but I can't afford to do it for a while. Be glad to buy it off of you, or I have a set of really nice factory black Mark II grips I will include in a trade for it. Let me know at [email protected] . Hear are some pictures of the gun as it looks now.

I could really use the help on the sear.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:59 am

Nice find. It looks really clean.

I cleaned a MKII that a neighbor had that he had never detailed cleaned in 20+ yrs. I no what you mean when you say crudded up. His trigger pull was over 10 lbs.

I'm not sure I would be modifying a 10" MKII because those are getting harder and harder to find. It would be nice having a rail but loss in value would be greater from a collector stand point. B-Square use to make a mount that clamped to the barrel so no D&T was required. Worked for 1" tube scopes. The only negative about then was that they moved the scope up higher than normal. The trigger could be reversed if one was ever found to put it back to original.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:31 pm

PM me your home address, and I'll pull an OEM take-off from the spare parts bin. Just be sure to check the engagement angles very carefully in your 10" and ensure the hammer will not fall after the thumb safety is disengaged.

R,
Bullseye

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks Bullseye, PM sent yep I would not want a full auto.