Mark 2 problem

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

swoter

Mark 2 problem

Post by swoter » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:06 pm

I have a Mark 2 5.5 bull barrel that I bought new in 2003. Have had zero problems with it until now. Got it out yesterday and when you put the safety on, then pull the trigger, you hear a small click. When the safety is taken off, the pistol will fire with the lightest pressure on the trigger.
Any ideas to what has happened would be appreciated. The only thing I have changed on the pistol is wooden grips, and that was a long time ago. Everything else is stock.
I have to work this weekend, so will be gone most of the time.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:55 pm

I don't know how much this pistol has been fired but that sounds as if the hammer and sear engagement has gotten worn. If you have factory only parts installed then you should contact Ruger and they'll replace them for you. Otherwise, a new sear and possibly a hammer is in order.

R,
Bullseye

swoter

Post by swoter » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:16 pm

I don't know how many rounds, but its a lot. I'll call Ruger on Monday then. Thank you.

stewswanson

Check sear pin

Post by stewswanson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:02 pm

My guess is the sear pin is not engaging the frame on one side(proabably the R.H. side). This may be due to the new grips not contacting the frame at the sear pin. I scotch tape this pin in.
Stew

swoter

Post by swoter » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Yes. It was the sear pin. I took the grips off today, and saw where the pin had slipped out of the frame. Easy fix, I put a piece of tape on it. The grips have been on there a long time, may have loosened up enough to let pin slip without me noticing. Thanks for the help. Just glad I don't have to send it back to Ruger.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:51 pm

Good call, I missed that one.

R,
Bullseye