Bullseye, I hope you're looking

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

BudE

Bullseye, I hope you're looking

Post by BudE » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:53 pm

This concerns two MK III 22/45s. The first one I’ve had for about four years. It has a four inch barrel. Shortly after I purchased it I replaced the trigger, the sear and the hammer with VQ parts. Because of light strikes I eventually put the Ruger hammer back in. I also took out the mag safety and replaced it with a MK II bushing.
I decided I wanted a 5.5 inch barrel so I bought one. I took the frame from the old four inch with the VQ parts and mated it with the new 5.5 inch barrel and receiver. I put the old bolt and main spring housing assembly with the old barrel and receiver. I put the new bolt and main spring housing assembly with the 5.5 inch barrel, receiver and old frame and VQ parts.
Now on the new one when I release the slide release and the bolt goes home the gun fires. I’ve tried different combinations of bolts and main spring housings to no avail. Same thing happens. The old barrel/ receiver with the new frame on it works fine. I tried calling VQ but the young lady I spoke kept having to run back and ask someone questions and either I was conveying the problem accurately or she wasn’t. Any help or suggestions?

BudE

forgot to add

Post by BudE » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Before the old gun had a trigger pull of about 2 lbs. Now, the new combination has a trigger pull of a very few ounces. Barely takes any pressure to set it off. Found this out by putting a balnk shell in and with the safety on releasing the slide. Then it will go off until I release the safety and pull the trigger. Just a few ounces pressure is all it takes.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:16 pm

This sounds to me as if the old frame with the VQ parts has very little tension on the sear. Could be a negative engagement situation between the hammer and sear or the sear spring may be bent slightly out of alignment. The sear spring should be configured with the long leg parallel with the back side of the spring loop in a 22/45 spring. If it is leaning more forward there would not be very much tension on the sear to hold it against the hammer hook.

R,
Bullseye

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Another thing I would check for is ensuring that the Mark II hammer bushing isn't interfering with the seating of the sear on the hammer hook. If the head of the bushing is blocking the sear from seating rearward on the hook that could also cause a similar situation you are describing.

R,
Bullseye

Biggjimm
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Biggjimm » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:45 pm

BudE is your firing pin protruding from the front of the bolt at all or is the hammer actually not engaging the sear or jumping off of the sear & striking the firing pin? A guy got shot at one of the local ranges here a few months back when a SKS went full auto & supposedly the inexperienced shooter freaked out & threw it on the ground & it spun around & shot the owner 2 or 3 times in the abdomen. It was an military surplus rifle & it wasn't cleaned before firing it when the state police inspected it they found the firing pin packed full of rock hard cosmoline. So if it's firing on its own be careful with it while your working on it & make sure it's never loaded up with a full mag until you get it figured out. When you get around to testing it out make sure you only load one at a time until its working properly. I'm not implying that you would be careless with it but we can't stress safety enough especially with a malfunctioning firearm. Be careful & good luck with it.
In youth we learn,
In age we understand.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:22 am

Bullseye is always looking.......seems to know our next question before we do......... :wink:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

BudE

Post by BudE » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks biggjimbut the firing pin is fine and the firing pin stop is where it's supposed to be.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:20 am

Any progress on troubleshooting the problem?

R,
Bullseye

BudE

Post by BudE » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:48 pm

Bullseye,
Sorry for the delay. We were out of town. I tinkered with it and was unsuccessful. Called VQ and they said to send it right in which I did on the 22nd. Sent just the frame and components. Got the mail today and it wasn't in there. I'll give them a call on Monday.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:13 am

They should be able to get it working for you. VQ can mix and match parts until they come up with the right combination for your frame.

R,
Bullseye