Taurus M94 Failure to Fire Fix(?)

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Taurus M94 Failure to Fire Fix(?)

Post by greener » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:41 pm

I've had a Taurus M94 (2" barrel) for about 9 months. I replaced the heavy OEM hammer spring with one designed for the Model 85. It greatly improved the trigger weight, but caused a few more Failures to fire. About 3 weeks ago all it would shoot was Federal Value Pack. bgreene observed that the firing pin penetration looked low.

Last night I removed the firing components (trigger, hammer, firing pin, hammer spring), cleaned them thoroughly. I also "rodded" the firing pin channel with a paper clip and may have (by feel) broken up an obstruction. I did some very minor polishing on the internal components. I reassembled the revolver and used the original hammer spring.

Today I fired Fed Value Pack, Fed Automatch, Fed 510, CCI SV, Wolf MT and Rem Golden Bullets without fail. Only 3 of 9 Win Xperts and 4 of 9 Wolf MT's fired. Firing pin strikes seemed to be deeper. Accuracy at 25 yards was ok, but I wasn't shooting for accuracy. I fired about 100 or so rounds without fail.

PS. The (plastic) sear is held on the hammer by a spring, which is in the noseeum size range, especially when it is on a carpeted floor. Dryfiring the gun without the side plate can result in the hammer popping out and the sear and spring separating from the hammer. Takes time and lot's of technical language to reinstall it.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:23 am

re" your PS-
decreasing vision, increasing "klutziness" and small parts are the reason I keep a magnifying glass, and a strong magnet on my workbench at all times. However, I have found that doesn't work well for spilled shot, and bare feet find all that pretty quickly. :lol:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Plus you've gotta watch the "technical language" at times, not everyone can appreciate the necessity of it when you're working on intricate items. Some things just won't go back together without a little "technical" coercing at times.

R,
Bullseye

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:33 pm

How's the 94 coming along? Thinking seriously about one of those for myself. Did it originally have the light strike problem?

Edit: Re-reading your post it sounds as though the original hammer spring did the trick??? Although you're still having FTF's with some ammo???
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:10 pm

I replaced the hammer spring with the original and cleaned the firing pin channel. Shoots everything but winchester Xpert without fail. "We" are fairly accurate up to 25 yards.

I may play around with the reduced power hammer spring and a new firing pin.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:36 am

Wouldn't be the first time that a reduced tension mainspring caused failure to fire issues. Sounds like you're investigating what will work in your Taurus.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:44 am

I've had problems with the win XPert22 ammo in the past. What I found was the bullet was slightly over size and would not fully chamber. And this varied from box to box even in the same lot. I just now buy Fed and no problem.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:00 pm

blue68f100 wrote:I've had problems with the win XPert22 ammo in the past. What I found was the bullet was slightly over size and would not fully chamber. And this varied from box to box even in the same lot. I just now buy Fed and no problem.
Hit or miss results.

Xpert seems to do pretty well in the Buck Mark and S&W M17 and not as well, but ok, in the Ruger MK's. Not nearly as well in the Taurus. I think bgreene had pretty good results with it.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:08 pm

Bullseye wrote:Wouldn't be the first time that a reduced tension mainspring caused failure to fire issues. Sounds like you're investigating what will work in your Taurus.

R,
Bullseye
OEM trigger is heavier than I like. It would be nice to get it lighter. And it's fun tinkering with the gun.