Just purchased a Chiappa 1911-22

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

BudE

Just purchased a Chiappa 1911-22

Post by BudE » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:17 am

Anyone care to offer recommendations or tips aside from telling me to use it as a boat anchor?

Downeaster
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Downeaster » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:28 pm

Nope, but looking forward to a range report.

I will note that my Grandson's GSG works MUCH more reliably with CCI Minimags than regular Long Rifle from the usual suspects. That may change as it wears in, but intially it had a lot of jams and FTF's with bulk .22, zero problems with the CCI.
An empty weapon is just a very expensive hammer.

BudE

review

Post by BudE » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Took it out to the range this PM. Shot it first with Win 555 off a sandbag at 15 yards. Got about a one inch group for ten rounds at six o'clock about an inch and a half low. Chiappa says their front sight is too high to begin with. Shot a total of 150 rounds. Two failures to eject on the 555. Shot another 50 rounds of Federal WallyWorld bulk pack. No failures. I want to try the Federals off the sandbag. The trigger is pretty stiff. That I think contributed to the one-inch groups at 15 yards. Certainly, it couldn't have been the shooter. I did manage to knock a bunch of 2x2x3" blocks around the berm at a little over 25 yards. They kept getting knocked higher and higher until I wasn't comfortable shooting at them. Our range has some pretty stringent rules. The rules are in effect even though I'm the only shooter there. Again, I attribute the low hits to the front sight rather than the shooter. Both the mag springs and the recoil springs seemed weak (for lack of a better word) to me. Cartridges went into the mags with no effort whatsoever. The same with working the slide. The first time I slid the slide back I really rammed it since I was expecting more tension. I've got to say that so far I'm really pleased with the pistol. To field strip it the first time before I went to the range I had to read the manual. Have you ever heard of anything so outrageous as following the directions? The same for reassembly. I'll fill in more as I get more range time.

BudE

Post by BudE » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:08 pm

I just realized this should be in rimfire handguns rather than the hangun forum. Mods, can you move it?

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:09 pm

I got one a couple of years ago. I know there is lots of 'stuff' out there about them, but this one I have has been great. No FTF, no eject problems, and as you said, the trigger is a little stiff, but gets better with time. So, I don't know what to say about the folks who have bad luck with them. Pretty much whatever I feed it works. I don't use Remington anymore - in anything- because of fail to fire in all my .22s. Lots of them.
I did have to file the front sight down, like the manual says. Just do it really slow. It doesn't take much to be too much.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:33 pm

Generally I hear pretty good reports from folks who have bought these. Good luck and enjoy.