My pocket pistol has fixed sights ......

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

My pocket pistol has fixed sights ......

Post by Jack D » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:05 pm

........that are hard to see at times. After some trial and error with paints, I came up with this.

Mix up a small batch of epoxy glue, Add a few drops of oil based paint of the color desired (in this case "Orange Glow"). Mix well and dab on a clean ramp with a tooth pick. The result is a tough flexible "bead" . By flexible, I mean not brittle. This one took some 8-10 hours to harden, but it did harden. The paint I added is a hobby oil based paint like used for painting models. It is somewhere between transparent and tranlucent.

I don't know how long it will last, but I suspect a long time.

Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:16 pm

Pocket pistols are the epitome of point and shoot technology. I don't even know why they have any sights.

Just my opinion.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:45 am

arizona-hermit wrote:Pocket pistols are the epitome of point and shoot technology. I don't even know why they have any sights.

Just my opinion.
My opinion also, never use mine for aimed target shooting. Just use it at 7 yards, draw, point and shoot.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:47 am

The epoxy should be durable enough. It is definitely bright. In the past I've used some ladies nail polish to accomplish the same task. They have some bright colors available and it can later be removed with polish remover.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:54 am

bearandoldman wrote:
arizona-hermit wrote:Pocket pistols are the epitome of point and shoot technology. I don't even know why they have any sights.

Just my opinion.
My opinion also, never use mine for aimed target shooting. Just use it at 7 yards, draw, point and shoot.
I might not buy one that didn't have sights, even though you don't need them for up close work. But since I'd buy one with sights, coloring the sights so i can see them is a good idea. Good sharp color, not the blurry ones!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:05 am

You know you shoot faster when you don't have to worry about sights, point and shoot. Even though you may only use the front one if you can see it.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:14 am

blue68f100 wrote:You know you shoot faster when you don't have to worry about sights, point and shoot. Even though you may only use the front one if you can see it.
At the distance a self defense pistol will be used, accurate sighting would be hazardous to your health?

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:38 am

I tried several colors on my Bobcat front blade, and gave up. They didn't seem to help, and "point and shoot" did okay ignoring the sights.

Since I do have the luxury option of a cocked and aimed shot, I am glad it has small but reasonable sights for a mouse gun. Most mouse guns are DAO, which is one reason I got the Bobcat. The Inox finish is pretty dull, and works okay without without paint in most light.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:57 am

bearandoldman wrote: At the distance a self defense pistol will be used, accurate sighting would be hazardous to your health?
Perhaps, but I would think the opposite is true. So far, in all of my 72 years of living, 100% of my shootiing has been at targets other than man. The chances of my needing to use any gun for protection are slim (but getting fatter everyday). I carry for that possibility, but since it is a rare event, I would prefer to use the gun(s) for fun in the meantime. There is no greater challenge than trying to hit a small target with a pocket pistol......even at 20'. To do that, reliably, sights are a must. Being able to see those sights is equally important (IMO).

The axiom "In a fight, front sight" is only good if you can see it.

Funny. In my CCW class, taught by two State police officers and one special forces, we were taught to never point and shoot.....always use the sights. Of course that is, probably, easier said than done. In the heat of the moment, I doubt that sights are in the shooters mind. But if it's instinctve? Maybe you'd do it automatically.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by arizona-hermit » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:58 pm

When I growing up, I learned to shoot handguns with a worn out, misused revolver that had no front sight whatsoever so I became quite an accomplished point and shoot or instinctive shooter.

Course back then, it would only take 30 minutes or so to pick up enough soda pop bottles to buy a box of 50 .22 rounds, walk to the local gas station, cash them in and pick up said ammo.

When you are in a situation where no sights are available, you either enjoy shooting enough to become good at sightless shooting or you don't.

I did. To this day, I vastly prefer to practice point and shoot over aiming. I even practice in the dark. If the weapon sits properly in your hand, it will hit whatever you point it at. No need to 'aim'.

Just my .02

If you are going to shoot - shoot - don't stand around trying to get the perfect sight picture.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:58 pm

I point shoot 80% of the time, 7 yrds and less. In a stress situation your training and instinct will kick in. So if you practice that way it will be automatic. If you train to use your front site you will use it. I would suggest to at the min of 3 yrds learn to point shoot. At that range NO sight should needed.

But with my corrective lenses I cant see my sights clearly anyway, my arms are just too short. :wink:
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:38 pm

3-7 yards you really shouldn't need a sight. I've seen Oldman do pretty good at point shooting at that range. Like anything else, you need to practice and not count on being able to do it in an emergency.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:11 am

greener wrote:3-7 yards you really shouldn't need a sight. I've seen Oldman do pretty good at point shooting at that range. Like anything else, you need to practice and not count on being able to do it in an emergency.
He who hesitates is lost/dead?
Last edited by bearandoldman on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:07 pm

I guess I'd have to know more about every ones definition of "point shooting". Do you mean shooting from the hip or similar, or do you mean bringing the gun up to eye level and looking down the barrel? If it's the latter, I still maintain that it would be a help if the sights are nice and bright. You're probably using them more than you think....maybe not lining them up like you would target shooting, but more as a reference. And this is where I believe that saying "in a fight, front sight" comes from.

Bringing the gun up to eye level to point is my vision when I hear someone say they "point shoot". I believe most can hit a man sized target at up to 21 feet in this manner. But will they hit a vital? Or just wound. How large is your group when shooting in this manner? Still, realistically, this is how it will likely be in a panic situation. I think, if you can see that frontsight quickly, even your "point shooting" will be more accurate.

At least that's how I see it.... :)
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:10 pm

Jack D wrote:I guess I'd have to know more about every ones definition of "point shooting". Do you mean shooting from the hip or similar, or do you mean bringing the gun up to eye level and looking down the barrel? If it's the latter, I still maintain that it would be a help if the sights are nice and bright. You're probably using them more than you think....maybe not lining them up like you would target shooting, but more as a reference. And this is where I believe that saying "in a fight, front sight" comes from.

Bringing the gun up to eye level to point is my vision when I hear someone say they "point shoot". I believe most can hit a man sized target at up to 21 feet in this manner. But will they hit a vital? Or just wound. How large is your group when shooting in this manner? Still, realistically, this is how it will likely be in a panic situation. I think, if you can see that frontsight quickly, even your "point shooting" will be more accurate.

My SP101 wears a laser, as does my SR22. But this little "pocket pistol" can't wear one, so a bright front sight is next best thing.

At least that's how I see it.... :)
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser