SR22 & PT22

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

SR22 & PT22

Post by Jack D » Thu May 24, 2012 8:07 pm

I just picked up a Ruger SR22 and a Taurus PT22 in a swap deal. This afternoon, I fired over 100 rounds through each of Federal bulk, CCI Mini Mags and a few Stingers. Not one misfire of failure of any kind in either. That is what I was hoping for in the Ruger, but was pleasantly surprised that the Taurus performed flawlessly.

Needless to say, I am pleased.

Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:05 am

Good to hear both functioned flawlessly with the cheap ammo. More surprising is that the Taurus did with some of the reports I have read. Those look like fun shooters. :D

Which as the better trigger?
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri May 25, 2012 12:02 pm

No contest. The Ruger wins. It is single action (except first shot if uncocked) and the Taurus is double action only, with a long, but smooth, pull.

I was shooting at 7 yds and groups were not too good at first (~6"), but got them down to ~3" as I got aquainted with them. Ruger has the edge on group size, too, but that's not surprising. What is ssurprising is that I can group anything at all with my eyes. Cannot see sights with my glasses on and target is a blur without. Don't ever get old.

The Taurus grip is slick and a bit hard to hang onto at times. It's also a bit fat for my hands. My hands are small and I'm using the smaller palm swell on the Ruger. It (the Taurus) came with two mags. They look identical, but one holds 9 rounds and the other, only 8 rounds.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:42 pm

Cannot see sights with my glasses on and target is a blur without. Don't ever get old.
Too late, been there for many years. Sights are a blur for me but I just center it as well as I can. If my arms were a little longer (2') I might be able to get them to clear up. :)
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri May 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Fired well over 200 more rounds today. About half in the Ruger and half in the Taurus. These were all Winchester bulk. This ammo is HP with a flat point. There were three FTF's in the Taurus. Flat point just jambed on the feed ramp. One FTF in the Ruger...It didn't pick up the cartridge from the mag. This ammo is also kinda gooey. I suspect this is the problem. One round failed to fire. Primer fissled and jambed in the chamber. I blame all of these failures on the ammo. Crappy stuff. Still five problems in over 200 rounds......probably close to 250 rounds...isn't bad if your just target shooting and not serious shooting.

I probably won't buy anymore Winchester bulk HP's.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:12 pm

The only winchester bulk ammo I've had good luck with is the m22 40 gr 1225 fps stuff ..
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sat May 26, 2012 3:34 pm

I had a four old boxes of Peters and ran three (150 rounds) of them through the Ruger. Those were really bad. Some barely made it out of the barrel. Consequently, there were several FTF's, most not entering the chamber. Never a stove pipe failure, though. I haven't cleaned the Ruger in all this firing and it is getting gooey around the chamber area especially the feed ramp. I suspect it will start running smoothly again once I have it cleaned up.

I find one fault with the Ruger. The magazine release button is too short and it is difficult to press deep enough to release the mag. Your actually pushing it into a hole. It works, but not if your in a hurry. It need to be longer so it projects further.

I just ordered a Crimson Trace CMR201 Rail Master for the Ruger.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu May 31, 2012 7:18 pm

Learning to use iron sights. With bi-focals, arms length is a blur, so this is not easy. Targets are 4"x6" Post-It paper. Shot at 21'. Two targets with Taurus PT22 "pocket" pistol (one target 27 rounds, two misses, one target 9 rounds). One target, SR22 (ten rounds). All with cheap bulk ammo (Federal and Winchester).

I was lucky to hit the paper at first, but now with over 1000 rounds fired, I'm getting there. Usually, I can do a little better with the Ruger SR22, but today, the Taurus was better for me. I've heard it said that the Taurus PT22 was very inacurate and worthless except for a belly gun. I have to disagree. For a tiny pocket pistol, it will get the job done. Especially in the hands of someone (other than me) that can shoot.

Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

greener

Post by greener » Thu May 31, 2012 11:48 pm

I haven't seen an SR22 other than gun shows or dealer cases. I have fired the PT22. Not a bad shooter. I assume the Beretta would be about the same. The little, light guns aren't particularly inaccurate, but they do magnify every shooter flaw I have. The SR22 looks enough like the Walther P22. Took some practice to acclimate to it.

I've been tempted to get an SR22. They look interesting.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:44 am

greener wrote:I haven't seen an SR22 other than gun shows or dealer cases. I have fired the PT22. Not a bad shooter. I assume the Beretta would be about the same. The little, light guns aren't particularly inaccurate, but they do magnify every shooter flaw I have. The SR22 looks enough like the Walther P22. Took some practice to acclimate to it.

I've been tempted to get an SR22. They look interesting.
I like the SR22, even better than the MkIII 22/45 that I traded for it. It just fits. And I haven't found any ammo it doesn't like. I've run 6 brands &/or types through it and it ate all of them. Most were cheap bulk. Federal, Winchester, CCI, Peters. Only one FTF in over 600 rounds (it didn't pick up a cartridge from the mag). My 22/45 was very ammo sensitive.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:52 am

The Taurus is a somewhat clone of my Bobcats, so you're probably jamming into the feed ramp with first round or two of a full mag. My Bobcats do well with loading only six into the seven round mag.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:24 pm

ruger22 wrote:The Taurus is a somewhat clone of my Bobcats, so you're probably jamming into the feed ramp with first round or two of a full mag. My Bobcats do well with loading only six into the seven round mag.
The only ammo that gave trouble in the Taurus PT22, was Winchester XPert HP's with a flat nose. A few (about 2%) of those jammed into the feed ramp. My two mags hold 8 and 9 repspectively. I don't know the difference between the two mags, but they both feed full and except for the Winchesters with the flat nose, without any problems.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

SR22 laser

Post by Jack D » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:10 pm

CT laser came in today for the SR22. Got it mounted and roughly sighted in.

Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser