Canted Barrel?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man » Fri May 04, 2012 8:17 pm

Back from the range. As expected, being a revolver, there were no malfunctions! However, the single action trigger is so bad that it was difficult to really check the sights - even when rested on the bench. It's not that it is so heavy a pull but there is a "notch" just before release. By the time you have pulled it through the notch, you have pulled it off target.

Question: Does changing the trigger spring to a lighter one influence the single action pull also or only the double action??
66 years of shooting - and still asking!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri May 04, 2012 8:51 pm

I have said this many times but it bears repeating, I do not typically like to do work on revolvers. Everybody has their specialties and mine is not these firearms. The interaction of the components of a revolver often require one to evaluate each problem very carefully as changes to one thing often affect other parts operation. The trigger spring has two functions to retract the hammer in double action pull and return the trigger for firing. The main problem sounds as if the parts need some wear to operate smoothly. S&W sear parts are case hardened and polishing them can weaken the pistol's action. First thing you may need to do is a lot of dry firing. Working the components through use causes them to polish themselves by burnishing. This wouldn't endanger the longevity of your trigger components by unintentionally wearing through the hardened metal into the softer metal. 800 to 1,000 dry fires may be necessary to accomplish this task. A good set of snap caps would be prudent to perform this type of practice. If this doesn't smooth up the feel then consulting your nearest local revolver smith or revolver armorer would be a good idea. You still have some questions about this pistols actual history if I recall. It may be possible if this was a pre-owned firearm that someone may have already been adjusting the trigger and possibly even weakened the action by inappropriate polishing. S&W also offers work to their pistols as long as the warranty has not been violated (Like replacing components with non factory ones) You'll have to decide which course of action to take but dry-firing that action should be first to see if it will smooth up for you.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Fri May 04, 2012 11:01 pm

If the single action trigger is that hard, the double action must really be something. I'd pull the plate and grips and check to see if you are fighting hardened grease. It might help to do some cleaning and lubing. I'd then follow Bullseye's advice and do a 1000 dryfires.

The S&W forum guys suggest cleaning lubing and dryfires before messing with springs. The Wolf springs might help, but you need to be careful with getting them too light or you get misfires. I'm not sure changing springs will do that much for the SA trigger.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolv ... -what.html

Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man » Sat May 05, 2012 9:44 am

Thanks to both of you and, Bullseye, I'm glad you said it again!
66 years of shooting - and still asking!

patrickiv

Post by patrickiv » Fri May 25, 2012 8:09 am

Just curious, what is the process for making sure the barrel lines up at the correct angle? Are the threads of every receiver started at the exact same point? Do they screw in a barrel, mark the position, remove it, cut position-sensitive features, then reinstall? Do they just screw it in until the position is correct? This has always been something that boggles me.