Ruger mk iii trigger fails to reset

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jj

Ruger mk iii trigger fails to reset

Post by jj » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:50 pm

I have a nib Ruger mk iii that I've put a few hundred rounds through. The best way I can describe the problem I'm seeing is that the trigger fails to reset. After firing a shot, the casing ejects and the next round is loaded but the trigger does not reset. If I push the trigger forward slightly, I can hear and feel a click, and the trigger is 'reset' to the point where the round will fire.. This problem happens about once per 10 rounds.

Is this something that may be fixed by removing the mag safety? Is there something simpler that I'm missing?

Thanks for your help.

stewswanson

Post by stewswanson » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:35 pm

If you have an adjustable trigger then you proabably have the pretravel screw in too far. If not look for dirt or debris in the trigger or plunger.
Stew

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:50 pm

Check adjustment screws and back them out a bit
Check the trigger return mechanism inside

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:33 am

Welcome to Guntalk-Online!

Does your new Mark III have any aftermarket modifications made to it or is it fully stock?

R,
Bullseye

jj

Post by jj » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:51 am

The gun is fully stock, no modifications......yet.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:59 am

Did you do a full detail cleaning of the gun before you started shooting it? If not the heavy packing oil has every thing gummed up and needs to be cleaned out.

Once you get it apart check to see if the disconnector is running straight and not bend so it' applying pressure to the frame. I've had to straighten a few of these.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:55 pm

The disconnector lever is one area to check and another is the trigger plunger, which provides the upward force for the disconnector lever.

R,
Bullseye

jj

Post by jj » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:13 pm

I disassembled tonight and I can see that in my rush to get to the range I *might* not have done a great job on my initial cleaning. Thanks for the reminders to check the simple stuff first... I guess a part of me was hoping it was time to start some modifications.

Thanks to all.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:10 am

jj wrote:I disassembled tonight and I can see that in my rush to get to the range I *might* not have done a great job on my initial cleaning. Thanks for the reminders to check the simple stuff first... I guess a part of me was hoping it was time to start some modifications.

Thanks to all.
Nothing stopping you from the mods. Try the VQ target sear and trigger.

Nice thing about Rugers, if they ain't broke you need to fix them. :lol: