VQ Comp.

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

VQ Comp.

Post by boomer47 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:13 pm

I ordered a VQ comp from Rimfire Sports. When it arrived it would not fit my Hunters barrel.
Quick answers from Alan at Rimfire and Nic at VQ got me to send it back to VQ.
Turnaround time from me mailing it back to VQ and receiving a replacement was ONE week.
Nic even sent along an extra polished screw to match the stainless comp that now fits right.
You can't beat that kind of service.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:02 pm

You're right, Volquartsen has a real good customer service reputation. I've heard nothing but good things about Rimfire Sports also.

Is the outer diameter of the Hunter barrel different than a regular bull barrel? Just curious because I haven't done anything with a Hunter model yet.

Weren't you also interested in getting a VQ Mark III replacement trigger with the pre-travel screw factory installed? Did you ask Nic if he'd send you one separate from the kit?

R,
Bullseye

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:48 pm

Bullseye,
As far as I know the barrel outer diameter on the Hunter is the same as any other Ruger MK bull barrel at the muzzle, 0.875. The first comp I received was just a tad small and a tad out of round, measured from 0.872 to 0.8745 inside dia. I did not measure the replacement because it just slipped on as advertised.
That wasn't me looking for the trigger. I have one of Radar's pretravel jobs on a VQ trigger that I trimmed down to factory width in the Hunter and an aluminum factory MK11 trigger that I put an external pretravel and overtravel screw in installed in my MK111 512.
I do wish Nic would start putting out his triggers with both screws, preferably the external adjustable pretravel. Maybe a little more pushing from the guys on these forums will nudge him into it.

R,Jack

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:19 pm

I'm sorry I missunderstood the problem with that compensator. I thought the reason for it not fitting was the different model, not a defective compensator. That really was the reason why I asked the question, because I thought the last time I checked the barrel O.D. dimensions were the same.

Apparently, I also had you confused with another Mark III owner who wanted the VQ factory Mark III trigger upgrade. I told him to call Nic and suggest that they offer it as a separate item. If enough people request it, they'll have to make it a single product offering.

Thanks,
Bullseye

Hydra-shokz

Post by Hydra-shokz » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:59 am

Dont mean to hi-jack your thread but while we are on the VQ comp subject.I put one on my 22/45 MKIII 512 last week.I shot about 600 rounds through it one evening.

Well I decided to buy a KMK678G and give the 22/45 to my fiancee.I took the comp off and found some major leading on the outside end of my barrel and in the front portion of the comp.Is this normal?I got the scratches out but the lead took me quite some time to clean.I'd really like to put it on my MKII but I'm not sure if I should.

If I use the comp would it be ok to remove it maybe every 1000 rounds to clean it up?Would I run into issues with the screw and screw hole from removing it often?Also what would be the best way to clean the comp and barrel end?Cleaning product?Is there a product that easily eats throught the lead without damaging the stainless steel?

Any thoughts to how I could keep the barrel from being scratch up?

Is this thing even worth using?

boomer47
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by boomer47 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:08 am

I quit using mine for all the reasons above.
I originally thought the comp just looked good and thought it might hold the muzzle down a bit when using the higher speed ammo.
It did help keep the muzzle flip down a bit but it got to be such a hassle cleaning it and the end of the barrel I just gave up on it.
I did manage to polish the inside of the comp enough with my Dremmel to keep from scratching the barrel. You may want to try that if you keep using the comp.

seal killer

Post by seal killer » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:06 am

Hydra-shokz--

On longer barreled .22lr pistols shooting sub-sonic (and maybe even supersonic) rounds the compensator just looks good. That's it. Oh. If you want to trap a LOT of lead, it will do that for you, too. Here is a picture of my VQ . . .

I have a short video clip that has a piece of tissue paper laying across the top of the compensator while I fire it. The video is pretty good proof that the compensator is useless on a pistol like this . . . it weighs two ounces more than my scoped, 10" .50 Desert Eagle.

Therefore, I am having Nic build me another upper which will be two inches longer. I will stick an identical, but not customized as the scope above has been, Burris Signature Select 8-32x44 on it and when I want to shoot at 100 yards, I will just swap uppers.

I have found nothing short of a small screwdriver and a dental pick that will get the lead out of that compensator.

--seal killer