Just wanted to say hello

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Radcat

Just wanted to say hello

Post by Radcat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:23 pm

I’m new to the forum and first of all just wanted to say hello. This is a great site and I am looking forward to being part of it. I have been around firearms pretty much all of my life- I really don’t remember the first gun I fired (probably my Dad’s Marlin 80 that I still have). Up until now, I was primarily a Glock shooter. However, my son and I recently dug out some old TEC-22s from many years back and took them to the range. I know, I can just see all the responses that will start with LOL. I forgot how much fun it is shooting .22s. So, smitten by the .22 bug, I recently purchased a Ruger Mark III Hunter (my first stainless steel gun). I have already gained a lot of information reading past posts. The gun shoots great, but had a couple of issues. As noted in some of the posts, the recoil spring guide was a bit too long and slightly dented the breech end of the barrel. No big deal- a jeweler’s file fixed that. There is also what appears to be a small tool mark dent just above the extractor groove that I did not notice until I field stripped and cleaned it prior to my first trip to the range. Again, it doesn’t seem to be a functional issue so I’ll make sure it doesn’t propagate and just shoot/enjoy the gun.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:43 pm

Welcome to GT-online

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Welcome to GTO

Yes, 22's in general are fun to shoot.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

jstanfield103
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jstanfield103 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:44 am

Can't hardly beat a 22 for fun os anything else. Welcome to the forum and enjoy shooting.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:25 am

Welcome to Guntalk-Online!

You'll find a bunch of great folks here.

R.
Bullseye

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:26 am

The Ruger MkIII Hunter is a real beauty. I have one too, and have gotten quite attached to it.

Loads of fun, but it can do serious work too on varmints, squirrels and rabbits.

They didn't give us any squirrels and very few rabbits here in deep south Texas, but they made up for that by providing us with a good variety and number of varmints.

Lately I have taken to shooting candy with my MkIII... I buy a roll of the NECCO WAFERS, cheap coin-shaped candies that are just about right for casual plinking at 20-30 feet. They are about an inch in diameter, and shatter like a shooting clay when you get a hit.

I line them up in the dirt, just like I used to do as a kid with my plastic army men, back in the BB-gun days.

Glad to have you here, Radcat. I'm looking forward to hearing how you and your son do with the MkIII, and your Glock.

You've landed in a great spot for a MkIII owner... There are some very knowledgeable folks on this forum, and they are friendly, too!

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:36 am

Lately I have taken to shooting candy with my MkIII... I buy a roll of the NECCO WAFERS, cheap coin-shaped candies that are just about right for casual plinking at 20-30 feet. They are about an inch in diameter, and shatter like a shooting clay when you get a hit.
What a waste of a good cookie :cry:
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Radcat

Post by Radcat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:20 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome. I just hope I can afford membership in this forum. I’m learning about all sorts of great stuff like red dot scopes, Volquartsen trigger upgrades, etc. (but dear, I really need that scope to assist these aging eyes). I appreciate the inexpensive tips too. My Mark III now rests with a yellow wall anchor in the chamber. Those things really will load up in the magazine, feed and eject. That’s a great way to help train someone to use this pistol without springing for snap caps. I actually get to do that sometime soon with my new son in law. He and my daughter want to go shooting and he will be doing so for the first time. I'll provide an after action report.