LCR-22?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

LCR-22?

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:58 pm

I've actually decided I might be able to live with a LCR-22. No time soon, as funds are non-existant, but maybe with a decent tax refund. My taxes have some complications this year, and I can't even guess at a refund number.

The polymer frame is not serialized, so I could buy a spare. Maybe that would help me be satisfied with polymer, in this one case.

I decided that of the few .22 snub nose revolvers, this was the best of what's there. S&W's have an aluminum frame and cylinder, and a lined aluminum barrel. Kind of pricey, too. Taurus and Charter just don't have good quality.

Anyone have any first hand thoughts on any of the LCR models?
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:08 pm

I wouldn't bother except as a trainer for the centerfire LCR models, myself. A nifty concept, just not more useful than a number of alternatives that are really good at being .22lr handguns, instead of being good at mimicking more "serious business" models.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:19 pm

I have no first hand experience, but I agree with BFD. Aside from a snubbie .22 trainer, the LCR-22 doesn't seem appealing.

However, I really like the looks of the SP101 .22. It looks like a great range revolver. It is also mid-sized, so it could be used as a training substitution for many other revolver models of varying sizes.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:13 pm

I would consider it as a replacement carry for my Beretta Bobcats, but I have a lot of green in those. Two of them, plus holsters, extra mags, and some spare parts. Throw in the fact that Beretta just reduced the list price on stainless Bobcats by $70, so they list for less than I paid two years ago, and I would lose my shirt selling them.

I cruised my three LGS this morning, and one had the LCR-22, $439, just got three of them yesterday. Smaller than a J-frame, abour the same weight as an Airweight .38 in the same case.

Trigger pull is light for a rimfire, I'd guess about five pounds. You can feel a flat spot just before the hammer releases, so you can pull back to that and steady your aim before it snaps. Useful for a DA only revolver.

One very positive thing I noticed. With the very thin walled and deeply fluted cylinder, there is no cylinder face to speak of. Easier cleaning...... :D

All in all though, it's an inch longer and taller than a Bobcat , and nearly an inch thicker. It's still half plastic, and no hammer would bug me.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

recumbent
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by recumbent » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:21 pm

I have both a LCR 357 mag and a LCR22.

The more I shoot the 22 the more I like it. Makes a perfect practice gun for the 357.
"I seek not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions."
- Kwai Chang Caine -

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:01 am

I would pounce on a .22LR/.22WMR LCR. Too bad it is only a dream.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:28 pm

Jack D wrote:I would pounce on a .22LR/.22WMR LCR. Too bad it is only a dream.
If only they made the single six in a snubbie. :lol:

I've been shooting a Taurus 94 w/2" barrel. Nice if i could solve the hammer spring, FTF problem.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:26 am

The Taurus snubby is actually a pretty decent little pistol..... Very big on the fun factor to shoot.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:50 am

I've heard too much negative on the Taurus, but it seems some are fine, some aren't. I saw a post somewhere about a guy that opened his 94 after it locked up. He said the internal parts looked like they were made by bashing scrap metal between two rocks...... :shock:

I'm still considering ditching the Bobcats for a snub .22, but nobody makes what I really want. The S&W 317 beats the LCR by having a hammer and being all metal. But it lists for $699? Way higher than most S&W .38 snubs. What I want is an all stainless, like a .22 Chief's Special.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:58 pm

ruger22 wrote:I've heard too much negative on the Taurus, but it seems some are fine, some aren't. I saw a post somewhere about a guy that opened his 94 after it locked up. He said the internal parts looked like they were made by bashing scrap metal between two rocks...... :shock:

I'm still considering ditching the Bobcats for a snub .22, but nobody makes what I really want. The S&W 317 beats the LCR by having a hammer and being all metal. But it lists for $699? Way higher than most S&W .38 snubs. What I want is an all stainless, like a .22 Chief's Special.
I druther have the Smith, if I had my druthers, but the M94 isn't all that bad.

I does have a light strike tendency I'm trying to fix, but when it shoots, it's not bad.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Ruger22, I'd be interested to know what your solution was. Did you go with Taurus 94? I have a similar problem. My Taurus PT22 is the Bobcat clone (sort of) and isn't a good pocket pistol at all. Lacking a extractor/ejector means a time-out must be called to clear the chamber and rack the slide to continue. Racking the slide is almost impossible with slick or dry hands. Sometimes I can do it. Sometimes not. A good shooter until there's a misfire.

I've looked long and hard at the Ruger LCR .22, but not sure I want a DA only revolver. The Taurus 94 has many more features than the LCR and is cheaper, too. I was leaning LCR, but the open photo (Greener) of the inside works has swung the pendulum toward the Taurus 94. I'm starting my Taurus search this week. Looking for a 94ULSS or a 94SS.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Jack D wrote:Ruger22, I'd be interested to know what your solution was.
I did some real thought that I was replacing my carry gun, not just any gun. My other .22LRs had shown me the reliability (or lack of) of that cartridge. So I went way against my previous character and got not just a LCR, a .357 LCR! I just decided to get serious with CCW.

About 5 more ounces, an inch longer and taller, a quarter inch thicker, and about ten times more Bang! It will still carry in a pocket, although a bit tighter.

I'm planning on shooting just .38s. Hornady XTP for carry. I got the .357 for the tougher materials it has, like a stainless frame versus the aluminum frame .38 model. Barrel and cylinder are the same Carpenter stainless Ruger uses in the Super Redhawk.

I haven't made it to the range yet. This is my first centerfire handgun since a Security-Six nearly thirty years ago, so it will be almost a new experience pulling that trigger the first time.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:20 pm

I hear you. I'm going the other way. Got rid of my S&W 36 Chiefs Special and ended up with a SR22 and the little Taurus +cash. The SR22 is a little large for carry...at least in the Summer time. The Taurus is the perfect size, but has real problems in the reliability area. My thinking is that a revolver is the way to go, especially in a rim fire. My wrist just can't take the recoil of a center fire cartridge and my pocket book can't afford it either. But I still have my SP101 in .357 for woods carry.

A .22 may not be the best choice, but it is the cheapest and easiest on my wrist and an arthritic thumb joint as well. Not to mention the fun, which is what it will be used for 99.99% of the time. I hold out that .01% for the one in a million chance I may have to use it for SD.
Last edited by Jack D on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:03 pm

Looks like we are waiting for 3 range reports. Which Taurus did you get, Jack?

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:18 pm

greener wrote:Looks like we are waiting for 3 range reports. Which Taurus did you get, Jack?
I haven't yet. I'll start my search Thursday. Finally scraped together the funds necessary. I'll be looking for the 94SS or 94ULSS.
Jack
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser