Bullets for Ruger 22/45

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bliss

Bullets for Ruger 22/45

Post by bliss » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:22 pm

This "newby" has a new 22/45 stainless on the way. I've read a lot about the gun and ammunition. Their seem to be many manufacturers, bullets and powder loads. There are many opinions re: dependability - FTF, FTE, stove piping, etc.
Beyond the dependability issues, are there any bullets that should not be fired because they can damage the gun? Thanks.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:59 pm

Ruger recommends NOT using hypervelocity ammo in their Mark pistols. Like Stingers, Velocitors, Yellow Jackets, etc. It can lead to a cracked bolt stop, or even a cracked bolt. Hypervelocity is basically any round marked above 1300 fps on the package.

Otherwise any .22LR ammo should be safe in the gun. High velocity, standard, even the sub-sonic although being slower you may have a few more jams.

Most folks here would agree that CCI's Mini-Mags work great in any Mark pistol, Many like CCI Blazer. Federal Value Packs of 550 (Wal-Mart) or 525 (elsewhere) bullets do well at the range, just slightly more likely to jam at a lot less cost.

The only ammo I've had significant problems with is Remington's Golden Bullets which had a lot of duds and leaves a sparkly mess all over your gun and hands. Winchester Wildcat had more than usual duds, too.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Mine loves the CCI Minimags solid nose. Does not like HP of any brand. Those will jamb and make a smiley face in the nose of the bullet about twice every magazine load. Solid nose in any brand feed seem to be OK. I had a lot of FTE's in the beginning, but none since I replaced the extractor hook with a Volquartzen.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:05 pm

+1 on what Jack D said.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:21 am

My MKIII seams to shoot them all without any issues. Like previously said "Don't shoot the hyper velocity stuff" it will beat the gun up. Now on a new gun with stiff springs I would shoot the HV till the gun loosens, up if you are having ejection problems with SV. Once the gun loosens up it should shoot the Std Vel ok. I bought my gun used so I had no idea how many rounds had been through it. I had 1 mag out of the 2 that had feeding problem. It was traced back to the spacing of the feed lips on the mag and ride height. Once that was corrected I have not had a problem since. I shoot mainly the cheap Fed 550 Value pack or Fed Lightnings. Which happen to be the same thing in a different package but cheaper a lot of times. I don't shoot bullseye competition but do use it to hunt the furry tail rats from time to time. I use the AE 22 which is a HV 38gr HP. These bay far are the most accurate ammo I shoot.

But every gun is different and you need to find what your gun likes.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:04 pm

Most Ruger .22's are pretty good about shooting any ammo. I agree to stay away from the hyper velocity stuff, not worth the risk of damage. The two Rugers I have owned were both very reliable. The first gun had some cycling problems from time to time, so I installed a Volquartsen extractor, from then on it was flawless, with almost any ammo. My second gun is doing just fine with the factory extractor. My new Ruger shot great right from the start with CCI Standard Velocity, it really didn't require a break in period. I would start with something like CCI Blazer, or the Federal value pack, they are both very affordable and shoot well. CCI is my favorite cheap high velocity ammo, for me it has always worked great, accurate to. Just try some different stuff and see what it likes, rimfire pistols can be picky about ammo. I didn't do it with my first Ruger, and it still shot fine, but cleaning the whole gun, detail stripping it to remove all the thick lube that Ruger uses at the factory will reduce the amount off build up in the gun. Ruger's can be a little scary to take apart for the first time, but when you do, if you need help, this site has great instructions, and many here will be glad to help.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:05 am

piasashooter wrote: The first gun had some cycling problems from time to time, so I installed a Volquartsen extractor, from then on it was flawless, with almost any ammo. My second gun is doing just fine with the factory extractor.
I guess I'm somewhat lucky. I read a lot of factory extractor issues on Mark pistols, but mine works well and still looks like new at roughly 2000 rounds.

There must be some variation in the shaping and heat treatment during production. I have four or five spare extractors, and I noticed they aren't all exactly the same color.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:33 am

I'd have to include myself in the lucky dept. Out of the 6 I own or have owned, not one has ever given me one issue with the extractor. I don't even want to estimate how many hundreds of thousands of rounds I've put through them.

I know that's not the case with every one, but I've had excellent results with the factory extractor. I have had to modify the feed lips on several magazines, but have nothing but praise for the factory extractor.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Kevin B.

Post by Kevin B. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:14 pm

Mine wouldn't run with CCI standard velocity at first, switched to CCI Mini-Mags and ran perfect. Now it will shoot anything except Remington Golden bullets or hollow nose. Learn to take it apart. There are some good videos online. Double *** damn certain the first time will be an experience.
Well, even the second time was.

You made a good choice, enjoy!

Kevin B.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:38 am

Kevin B. wrote:Mine wouldn't run with CCI standard velocity at first, switched to CCI Mini-Mags and ran perfect. Now it will shoot anything except Remington Golden bullets or hollow nose. Learn to take it apart. There are some good videos online. Double *** damn certain the first time will be an experience.
Well, even the second time was.

You made a good choice, enjoy!

Kevin B.
:welcome Kevin B.!

My Mark III shot Golden Bullets okay one time, but they have a lot of duds and make a sparkly mess so no more. Federal bulk HP and CCI Mini-Mag HP are it's usual diet. Have you tried any hollow points since yours got "broken in"?

The field strip isn't bad, just follow the manual instructions, with a little patience. I haven't shot mine in 5 months, but could strip it and reassemble, from memory, in ten minutes.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Kevin B.

Post by Kevin B. » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:32 pm

I still have trouble with hollow points. With a steady diet of mini-mags the pistol is absolutely 100%. I have one box of Wolf match I want to try, I have heard good things about it. Trouble is I haven't seen another box of it locally.

The dis-assembly is a little tricky at first, but once you understand the components and their operation it falls into place. I know people at the club who refuse to take them apart.

Mine is a stainless 6-7/8" Hunter and I'm very pleased with it. It's stone stock but may get some enhancements soon.

I like this forum, seems more down to earth than some others.

Thanks for the welcome,
Kevin B.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

My ammo for /22LR

Post by Coach1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:36 pm

I thought I'd add mu 2 cents worth...
I have 3 .22 LR pistols - each from a different manufacturer.
I find the CCI round nose SV and Mini-mags are great. Recently, for bulk purchases (gun show specials) I have shot 1500+ rounds of Blazer through them. All of these have performed well.

I am reluctant to admit to this.. but the Cheapskate in me came out early in my shooting adventure... and I bought 500 rounds of Aguila round nose.

The only gun that would process these w/o incident was my Ruger 10/22 rifle. All 3 pistols choked on 'em. So, Bliss, I strongly suggest that you find other ammo to suit your wallet and your new gun.. stay away from Aguila (Mexico mfg, I think).
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by stork » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:10 pm

Coach,
It's not called being a cheapskate. We refer to ourselves in the brotherhood as "Frugal"!!!

Just my findings on Aquila. I've put 3 cases (15000 rds) through my pistols, which are an assortment of Rugers, Hi Standards, and a Marvel conversion. What I've experienced was 1 dud in 3 cases (very impressive). Function wise, the Rugers and Hi Standards shoot everything. Bear in mind all these pistols are WELL broken in.

The Marvel conversion does not like them. It fires every time, but has a large % of failure to eject and feed the next round. I would need to replace the recoil spring with a lighter one for reliable feeding and as I don't need it to shoot BE it's not a priority to get done.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:20 pm

I've had problems with heavily lubed target ammo in any of my .22 pistols: eley sport, aquila and others just don't feed well. The Rugers will shoot anything else, but seem to do better with 40gr SV ammo.

I have the Kimber .22 conversion for 1911's. HV ammo seems to do better pushing the slide, but it does ok with SV ammo. I don't get the accuracy with the Kimber that I get with the other .22 pistols.