I bought - I think!

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

bliss

I bought - I think!

Post by bliss » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:01 am

Half an hour ago I placed my order with Brad in sales at Bud's Gun Shop. As some of you know Ruger made big changes to their web site over the weekend. Of course they removed their Cat.# KP512MK3RP Model# 10146. This is the 22/45 Hunter - 5.5" stainless barrel - plastic grip frame - Cocobolo grips - 32 oz. Fortunately Brad said they have it.

I haven't had a gun in my hand in 30 years. So I visited every local shop and surfed the web for hours every day for weeks. Anecdotel after anecdotal on every model of every brand, or so it seemed. I finally made my mind up and just at that moment Ruger's website implied:

"Dumby, you over studied! Idiot, don't you know what TMI means? Get a grip and pull the trigger, slow poke!" I was motivated.

Seven to ten days to delivery. I can't wait.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

All good things are worth waiting for

Post by Coach1 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi Bliss. And welcome to the GTO forum. You found the right place for all the best information.. and idle chatter about Ruger pistols.. including the 22/45. You made a great choice to restart your fun with firearms.

Please note that the 22/45 has a few quirks for disassemble. (Bullseye's reference materials and pics are priceless). One gets skilled with tear down and reassembly quirks pretty quickly. The gun is uber reliable.. and cheap to run. So, stock up lots of .22lr (Walmart has really good prices, IMHO) and have fun. Prety soon we expect that you will be back here asking about new grips, tritium sights, Red Dots, holsters, etc. Great fun.

I can relate to the surprise Ruger gave you regarding that model. I dithered about getting an S&W M&P 15/22P - the pistol version of the popular 22LR rifle. When I finally decided to get one, I learned Smith dropped the pistol version 10 months after introducing it. My LGS was able to locate one at another store. I have enjoyed shooting it... and like the "uniqueness" it represents..

Have fun and be safe .. and let us know how you get along with your new gun.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:10 pm

Bliss, Welcome to GTO

You will enjoy your MKIII, they are a blast to shoot. So you might as well start stocking up on ammo. My MKIII will shoot just about any ammo I feed it. I shy way from the Rem ammo do to leading issues. Was accurate but wasn't worth the hassels for cleaning. I would get a mix of Fed, CCI, Blazor, American Eagle, ( I know I left some out) to see what your likes the best. But for general plinking the Fed Bulk from WM is hard to beat.

fyi, Fed Lightning is the same as the Fed bulk but normally cheaper if they have it in stock. AE22 38gr HP is my hunting round and the most accurate I have found for my gun. American Eagle also have a 40 gr but I have never found it.

Be Safe and have Fun. :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Dhawk

Federal Value Pack ammunition

Post by Dhawk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:11 pm

I bought a Federal Value Pack of 525 rounds for $18.00 at local gun shop. It is 36 grains copper plated hollow point with 1260 FPS. It is running good thru my MK III Competition and I really like it. Is this considered high velocity?

bliss

Post by bliss » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:50 pm

Thanks for all the good ammo info. I thought I would start out with the CCI and work through the rest. I have about a 10 day to two week wait before I see the gun if what Bud's Guns says is accurate.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:41 pm

Welcome to the forum, Bliss

10 days would be a long time for me to wait. I'm into instant post purchase gratification. Well, buy and 30 minutes later be on the range. You will enjoy it when you start shooting.

CCI is a good start. I think they shoot a bit better with SV ammo.

However, I just picked up 3 boxes of Fed Value pack 36gr HV ammo. Mine shoot that pretty well.

bliss

Post by bliss » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:55 am

Greener, you aren't kidding! Brad at Bud's said seven to ten days. I'm trying to set a low expectation level in my head so I can be extra happy if it arrives in less time. The anticipation is killing me; especially since I haven't owned a gun in over thirty years!

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:52 am

:welcome

Welcome bliss!

I can relate to your thirty year wait. I dropped shooting in 1985, due to a financial need and a relocation that left me really no place to shoot. I took it up again in 2008, because of all the uproar over Nobama maybe killing gun rights.

I was pleased that my three favorite Rugers from before were still available, with the Single-Six virtually unchanged. The Mark I had become the Mark III, and needed some lawyer gadgets undone, and the 10/22 rifle got a plastic trigger guard.

And, I discovered Ruger Bearcats, my new favorites. I hope your wallet is ready to get you back into the shooting fun, as mine has taken a pretty good beating in the past three years from it!
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:41 pm

Looks like you already got a very warm welcome to the forum but let me add in my greetings too.

R,
Bullseye

bliss

Post by bliss » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:18 pm

Thank you! My learning curve will remain vertical for some time, I am sure. When the 22/45 arrives I'll have more reading to do - then out with the two pound rubber hammer. I'm not a Swiss watch repair man so this will get interesting.

bliss

Post by bliss » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:48 am

Update. UPS tracking number issued last night. Delivery to FFL office in three or four days, I hope.

Now what about my accessory shopping list? Number one priority is ear protection. I'd like to protect what little I have left. I wear glasses and will need protection over them, right? There is the rubber hammer and work pad. Dowel rod,paper clip,valium (only kidding,I THINK!) I might want to add one of those rubber wraps on the grip as I have large hands - maybe change out the grips later. Looked at small safes. I liked the one with the electric finger pad. I would bolt it through the floor around a joist in the crawl space below. Hoppes stuff. Loctite 222. Whatever tools - screw drivers, etc., that I need dedicated to the 22/45.

What else to get started? Your toughts are appreciated!

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: Federal Value Pack ammunition

Post by radio » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:46 am

Dhawk wrote:I bought a Federal Value Pack of 525 rounds for $18.00 at local gun shop. It is 36 grains copper plated hollow point with 1260 FPS. It is running good thru my MK III Competition and I really like it. Is this considered high velocity?

Any ammo 1080 or below is considered subsonic (true subsonic depends on altitude, temperature, etc.) The Federal Value 525 @ 1280 IS considered high velocity. I use more of that round than all others combined. It may not be the best, but it works well in most everything I own. A few companies offer "Standard Velocity" and seem to fall at the sub level or slightly above.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:03 am

Slow down.... Sounds like your hyperventilating :)

You only need a soft blow hammer like a dead blow 1# or #2. And some solvent to remove all of the packing oil, gun oil to protect the finish. And a cleaning rod, brushes and jag. I only clean my barrel when the accuracy drops off. So don't be taking the barrel/receiver off the lower any more than necessary. But it's my understanding the 22/45 are not near as bad as the metal frame guns. You may also need a small pair of long needle nose pliers or tweezers.

I assume the loctite is for mounting the scope rail. The blue 242 will work if you clean all the oil off and it's easier to get loose in needed. The 22 does not have a recoil that requires the red high strength.

Cleaning pad, I use a towel and or carpet squares covered with the blue paper shop towels. The carpet squares are the commercial type with a rubber backing, 18"sq. These keep parts from rolling off.

For the first time you will probably want the service page open (computer on GTO/service.html) while you detail clean it.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bliss

Post by bliss » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:18 pm

I feel like when I first got my hands on a watch; way back when they had gears and springs. I was good at taking it apart. Puting it together - not so much. Yes, 242 is for the sight if needed. I have access to carpet samples to use as pads. I hope you are right about the polymer frame producing easier work.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:04 pm

The 22/45 use a special clip to lock the pins in place. It at times these can be hard to get in place.

Unlike you I was able to take watches apart and back together working. I use to have very good fine motor skills. As I have got older it has gone down hill some.
David

Custom Built 1911