Ruger SR22

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Ruger SR22

Post by greener » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:18 pm

New .22 by Ruger.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/extras.html

Looks like the Walther P22, even the internals. S&W's M&P22 seems to be a Walther Clone

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:43 pm

The P-22 has a cast zinc slide. I've seen several posts around the web that this, and the Sig Mosquito .22 which also has a zinc slide, have some problem with it cracking!

The SR-22 specs list an aluminum slide, hopefully better. The SR also has the two choice grip swell, and the other guns don't. At least if it's a half knock-off, they looked at the other guns' shortcomings.

Yet another polymer frame. I don't know, at $399 MSRP, it might go out the door for $320. Maybe if its first six months prove trouble free, I could think about it.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Tupperware frames don't bother me. They don't rust quite as much. The more prevalent slide problem with the P22 is the trigger bar ears shaving the slide, which you can fix with some polishing. The P22 is fun to shoot, but it is not a target gun.

Maybe Ruger has done better.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:17 pm

Why Ruger would want to compete with themselves confuses me, I suppose they're marketing it as a trainer for the sr9 family?

We will have to see about the materials, I wouldn't be surprised to find that it was Zamack like the p22 and mosquito. In the gun market, metallurgy is generally secondary to marketing. Remember that this is an industry (or at least a bunch of marketing departments) that doesn't understand that steel IS an alloy.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:46 pm

I don't think Ruger is competing with themselves. I think they are trying to diversify product line and be more competitive. They may have looked at the Taurus business model of frequent new product introductions.

Last time I checked, Ruger had the highest number of .22 pistols produced in the US according to federal records. The MKIII's are the most popular .22 handguns if you look at numbers manufactored.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:00 am

I'm still curious as to where they are making all of these guns? I haven't heard of any expansion or new factories. With all these new models, and rotating production, they'll be changing the lines every week!
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:26 pm

I like the looks of it. It looks fun. Ruger tapping into the walther p22 market is very smart. It looks like a great .22 to start a new shooter on or plinker to have fun with.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:19 pm

I see in the manual it does have a magazine safety, but no LCI, just a "view port". The main safety is the decocking type.

Someone on a Ruger forum pointed out that it has the word "pistol" engraved on the slide, I had not paid it attention. Seems a little silly, but I guess it would keep someone from confusing it for a rifle.......... :mrgreen:
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:31 pm

I hope it shoots better then my Sig Mosquito, cause the Mosqito "only" shoots CCI ammo, nothing else. Semi auto pistols like these have a hard time cycling 22lr ammo.
Haka

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:49 pm

bigfatdave wrote: Remember that this is an industry (or at least a bunch of marketing departments) that doesn't understand that steel IS an alloy.
BFD, I couldn't agree more. I always get a chuckle when I read "Slide material: Stainless steel, Frame material: Alloy."

I also get a good laugh when I read "Match grade barrel" or something similar in a firearms description... Ok, great, what exactly does that mean? This is especially amusing to me considering that, at last check, the real "match grade" barrel makers such as Bar-Sto and Kart do not title there barrels as match grade.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:20 pm

Georgezilla wrote:
bigfatdave wrote: Remember that this is an industry (or at least a bunch of marketing departments) that doesn't understand that steel IS an alloy.
BFD, I couldn't agree more. I always get a chuckle when I read "Slide material: Stainless steel, Frame material: Alloy."
"Alloy" sounds better than "aluminum" . I'll give credit to Ruger for actually saying "aluminum" for the SR-22 slide.

Their online specs are listing grips as "hardwood" these days instead of something exaggerated. They could technically call the laminated grips micarta, but don't. There are wood, linen and paper micartas, but the paper type is what people think of for grips.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

greener

Post by greener » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:31 pm

Saw one at the Richmond Gun Show today. Seems to be well made. Similar to the P22, but a smidge bigger and a few minor differences. Side-by-side comparison the Ruger is a bit heavier. I like the decocker.

Price was $299 and the P22 was $379. For the difference in price, I'd get the Ruger.

Gunblast had a pretty good review of the SR22

cmdridq

Post by cmdridq » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:15 am

Has anyone bought and tried one of these things yet? Looking for impressions/feedback.

Jack D
Expert contributor
Expert contributor

Post by Jack D » Thu May 24, 2012 12:21 pm

I expect to have one in my hands this morning. I just swapped for one with four mags. Can't wait.
Jack
Ruger SP101, 3", .357, CT laser
Ruger SR22P, CT laser
Ruger LCR22, CT laser
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe, scoped
H&R Handi, .357 customized, laser, red dot, scope, weapon light, bipod
Benjamin-Sheridan, 5mm (.20), scoped.