Second Ruger ?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:20 am

The Buckmark has the advantage of allowing fairly inexpensive barrel replacement. I removed the barrel from my Buckmark or Challenger just because I could several years ago just because I could. I don't recall in major issues other than the screw was in very tight.

Trivia: Challengers were the pre-Buckmark Browning models. The Challenger III's look almost identical to the Buckmark Standard except for wood grips and the slide is open at the rear. The recoil spring is about twice as long as the guide rod and is a real pain to reassemble if one were so foolish as to unassemble it.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:43 am

greener wrote:The Buckmark has the advantage of allowing fairly inexpensive barrel replacement. I removed the barrel from my Buckmark or Challenger just because I could several years ago just because I could. I don't recall in major issues other than the screw was in very tight.

Trivia: Challengers were the pre-Buckmark Browning models. The Challenger III's look almost identical to the Buckmark Standard except for wood grips and the slide is open at the rear. The recoil spring is about twice as long as the guide rod and is a real pain to reassemble if one were so foolish as to unassemble it.
Is that hearsay or are you speaking from experience?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:56 pm

I wonder who's older, OM or Greener?
Haka :?:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:31 pm

Hakaman wrote:I wonder who's older, OM or Greener?
Haka :?:
Greener is still a punk kid, I think I have him by 10, maybe more, youngster in motown

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:10 pm

I will always defer to my elders.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:45 pm

In the past the Bucks were famous for their barrel locking screw loosening, so they've also addresses this problem too. The other change was adding additional metal (wings) to the slide for a better gripping surface.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:48 am

The sight base screws on my Buckmark and Challenger want to loosen up. I keep reminding myself to use loctite, at the range when I don't have loctite.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:57 am

greener wrote:The sight base screws on my Buckmark and Challenger want to loosen up. I keep reminding myself to use loctite, at the range when I don't have loctite.
Makes sense. the loose base causes no problems when the gun is home. First signs of getting old , the memory starts down hill. As long as you can remember how to get home, I have a TomTom, just touch the little house and it guides me home.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:59 pm

I shot my Buck Mark today for the first time, and matched it up with my newly repaired Mark lll (replaced extractor and firing pin). Both guns imo are nice shooting firearms. I have my Ruger tricked out with Volq. trigger job, competition rear sight, and Volq. laminated wood grips. The Buck Mark is right out of the box. The Ruger has a 6 7/8" barrel and the BM has a 5.5". I shot them with about the same accuracy, 2" groups at 30', with the edge going to the Ruger, no surprise. The BM though is a fine shooting 22lr pistol, and it's trigger pull took a little to get used to. It's a crisp trigger pull with hardly any slop. Right out of the box the BM has the edge in trigger pull and the nice adjustable rear sight, but that has been overcome with the Ruger upgrades I mentioned. I shot 50 rds of CCI MM's through each gun without failure. When I put some Win 555 bulk into them, the BM didn't fail at all, but the Ruger jammed twice. Upon inspection of the jammed rounds I found the hollow point bullets got stuck on the feed ramp. I could tell by the "cut" across that area on the bullet. I now have a good compliment of 22 pistols.
Haka

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:40 pm

Good to hear both are good shooter and the MK was repaired satisfactory. The BM are know for have good triggers.

For the jam w/MK there are a couple of things to check. 1st was this with more than 1 magazine. If you have more than one mag you should number them to make trouble shooting easier. If not check to see if they ride the same height. I had one with my gun that set higher and the lips had a different opening. I just made the one that malfunctioned match the good one. No problems and fires every thing I tried and Win ammo was not tested. I normally shoot Fed or AE through mine, lost less ammo issues. Another thing that works is the mod to the mag lips. This allows the bullet to release just a tad earlier make a straighter feed.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:46 pm