Ruger vs Smith

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:48 am

ruger22 wrote:
greener wrote:I keep two clothes pins in my range bag. I'm not attacked because they know I have hostages.

Last time I went shooting with bgreene, I shot the wire on his spinner. I told him it was an accident, but it really was a well-placed shot. :lol:
So next time you shoot together, he'll set up just the wire for you......... :D

I can also attest that the weight at the bottom is .22 proof. Just makes a faint dimple.
I cheated, I was shooting his S&W Model 10, so I had about twice the bullet diameter. It's not that much fun, because he wasn't very good at bending the wire back so it spun well.

I thought I'd help Haka get his statistics, but all I have is an 8" M17, so I checked the Green Top used gun list for M617's. None. Also, this was the first time I can recall seeing no Ruger semi-auto .22's on their list.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:14 pm

I had my Ruger Mlll to the range friday, and it had serveral failures to eject.
The gun was clean, but I was using a new ammo, Win 555. My 617 chews up
anything.
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:16 am

Now you've got to isolate the ejection problem down between the extractor or the LCI.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:05 pm

Now you've got to isolate the ejection problem down between the extractor or the LCI.
It seemed to be something about the ammo. If
I want consistent firing, ejecting, I go to my old stand by, CCI SV.

greener

Post by greener » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:58 am

Indoor or outdoor range.

Some ammo seems to give the mag and mechanism fits in cold weather.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:30 am

This was in the basement range. It was cool down there, but not cold. I just cleaned
the Mlll so dirt wasn't a problem. I was teaching a friend to shoot (2nd time out for him)
and the gun was jamming. I makes it difficult to show him the ropes when the
equip is acting up. I'm going to try again today with a couple ammo types.
Haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:31 am

When the temps drop to around 40-45° F functioning problems begin to arise. I'm not saying your basement is that cold but oils begin to get sluggish at that point.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:49 pm

When the temps drop to around 40-45° F functioning problems begin to arise. I'm not saying your basement is that cold but oils begin to get sluggish at that point.

Indoor or outdoor range.
Some ammo seems to give the mag and mechanism fits in cold weather.
Just got back from the range with sadly interesting results. My RMlll Target has got some issues somewhere. I tried my favorite ammo, CCI MiniMag 36g 1260fps, and Winchester 555 bulk 36g, and both were failing. The failures are FTEject, as I was getting many jams and stove pipes. A friend next to me was shooting the same Win ammo, in his Mlll w/o any problems. Another thing is my gun is not sling shotting into action, I have to use the slide release 90% of the time. The gun was just cleaned so I don't think that is an issue. It's failing on every mag load. Point of interest: I tried a mag from my friends gun and it didn't make any difference. I did notice his mag had a "stronger" spring in it. Any suggestions?
Haka

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:08 pm

Like Bulllseye suggested it could be the LCI or the extractor. The LCI can be removed for a quick test.

Stove pipes are normally caused by the spent case being knocked off before it hits the ejector. There are only 2 things maybe 3 things that cause them. LCI Sticking, Magazine setting too high, and bad extractor. Provide the ejector is in place and tight. A good test is to see if the extractor will hold a empty brass while you hand operate the bolt. Look for contact with the mag loaded and not. If you have snap caps for the 22 this is a good place to use them instead of a live round.

The LCI does not cause any problems on mine as long as it's clean and not sticking. I DO NOT OIL the LCI. I cleaned up the molding seam to free it up. I have the VQ Exact Edge installed, too. The magazine on mine was just setting a little to close to the ejector. I filed the notch to lower one, one was OK.

I only use Syn oil on my guns. It will flow a lot easier as the temp goes down besides providing better lubrication. I use it very sparingly on the bolt and rotating surfaces (hammer, sear, trigger).
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:20 pm

Was it cleaned or detail stripped and cleaned? It sounds to me like there's some grit or fouling in behind the bolt stop lever or the release lever. Then I'd remove the LCI and test fire it. If it functions correctly then there's the problem. If not then your extractor is weak or worn if the ejector pin is solid.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:25 pm

I have just noticed my extractor is missing on the gun. It must have been missing as far back as last week, or more, because it has been failing quite consistently. What I don't understand is how any of the rounds were being ejected without an extractor? When I order a new one is there a preferred extractor over another?
Haka :oops:

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:33 pm

The extractor only holds the empty case tight against the bolt for firm ejection when the case strikes the ejector pin. The blow back from recoil on the casing is sufficient to cause the spent case to eject but typically it won't have enough force for a positive ejection.

When you say it is missing do you mean the whole extractor or just the hook edge?

The VQ extractor is the one I'd get. It has a much harder metal that will hold its edge longer.

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:36 pm

When you say it is missing do you mean the whole extractor or just the hook edge?
The whole extractor

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:41 pm

Is the plunger and spring in place?

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:00 pm

As you can see in the photo, the plunger in place and spring loaded. It only slides backwards, not forwards in the direction needed to remove it. In other words, it won't come out?