Ruger vs Smith

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Ruger vs Smith

Post by Hakaman » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:46 pm

I went to the range today with a challenge in mind, comparing the Ruger Mlll Hunter to the S&W 617. Both about the same length barrels, 6 7/8" for the Ruger, and 6" for the Smith. The Ruger is a semi-auto and the Smith is a DA Revolver. Using the same ammo, 50 rds ea, I shot at a pace of 1 rd every 2secs. Both guns are a pleasure to shoot, and it really isn't a surprise that the Ruger out shot the Smith slightly, due to the Smith being a "stiff" DA trigger pull. Although, if it weren't for the odd fliers, they both are quite equal. Each gun has it's own pluses and minus', and both are a compliment to any arsenal. The ruger got a little dirty and started to have the occasional FTE, where the Smith just churns out the shots without a problem. The Ruger is a little more accurate because of the great trigger I have on it and, again, the Smith is a hearty DA pull.
Haka
Last edited by Hakaman on Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:54 pm

Close, but I'd give a slight edge to the smith. However, you don't have a statistically significant sampling, so you need to repeat this test a number of times. :lol:

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:51 am

greener wrote:Close, but I'd give a slight edge to the smith. However, you don't have a statistically significant sampling, so you need to repeat this test a number of times. :lol:
With several brands and styles of ammo, too....... :D
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:36 pm

As I recall the Auto is traditionally more accurate than the wheel gun due to the release of gas between the cylinder and the barrel of the wheel gun. This make for a variable in muzzle pressure , thus a loss of accuracy. :roll:
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:26 am

As I recall the Auto is traditionally more accurate than the wheel gun due to the release of gas between the cylinder and the barrel of the wheel gun. This make for a variable in muzzle pressure , thus a loss of accuracy.
Interesting point, I also think the trigger pull has something to do with it in this case. The Mlll has had a trigger job done to it, and the SW has a firm da pull to it.
Haka

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:28 am

The revolver also has multiple chambers instead of one to align with the bore for each shot....
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:04 pm

Bud and bgreenea bring up good points. I've read about both the points Bud and bg bring up.

For precision, every time the cylinder on a revolver indexes on a stock revolver it's like shooting a different pistol. There aren't many precision revolver shooters around, but the couple I have talked to have noted that they always start their strings on the same cylinder so that they don't get surprised by the POI.

greener

Post by greener » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:26 am

I think it takes great precision to scatter the holes all over the paper in the correct pattern. A lot more skill than putting them all in one hole. :lol:

At least that's what I tell myself when I'm having one of my precision shotgun pattern days.

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:34 pm

That's a nice way to look at it, greener :P Reminds me of the second time I ever shot a pistol. I was a terrible shot and I unintentionally was able to hit the 2 top thumbtacks that were holding my target up.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Those are shootnsee targets, why waste the shootnsee areas?

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:05 pm

On my first range trip in 25-odd years, I was death on the clothes pins holding my targets. If I ever get mugged by a clothes pin, it's in serious trouble.

It was two or three trips before I quit shooting the metal support for my spinning rubber prairie dog. Shooting is definitely not like riding a bicycle.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:07 pm

Got to keep an eye out for those clothespins, they like to congregate in bunches and hang-out a lot. You never know when they'll pin you down.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:57 pm

I keep two clothes pins in my range bag. I'm not attacked because they know I have hostages.

Last time I went shooting with bgreene, I shot the wire on his spinner. I told him it was an accident, but it really was a well-placed shot. :lol:

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:49 pm

greener wrote:I keep two clothes pins in my range bag. I'm not attacked because they know I have hostages.

Last time I went shooting with bgreene, I shot the wire on his spinner. I told him it was an accident, but it really was a well-placed shot. :lol:
If you say so. I will take it as gospel.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:45 am

greener wrote:I keep two clothes pins in my range bag. I'm not attacked because they know I have hostages.

So next time you shoot together, he'll set up just the wire for you......... :D

I can also attest that the weight at the bottom is .22 proof. Just makes a faint dimple.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP