Ruger MKIII/chipped bolt

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Ruger MKIII/chipped bolt

Post by piasashooter » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:58 pm

I was cleaning my gun today and noticed that a small piece chipped of the bolt, right around the cut out for the extractor. I need to call Ruger still, but thought I would post some pictures. I don't know if this is very common or not, but the gun is brand new, only about 1500 rounds.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:10 pm

That's not common. Looks like there may have been a flaw in the metal right where the extractor groove and the bolt face meet. Looks like you need a new bolt for that pistol. Is this the new one you just received?

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:31 am

Yes, this is the new replacement Ruger sent me. I still haven't contacted Ruger yet, I hope they will replace this without me having to send it to them first. I think I need to buy another gun to have a back up. Bullseye, do you think this could possibly cause extraction problems, I have recently had a couple stove pipes, the gun worked flawlessly until the last two times I used it. I was thinking maybe the recent extraction problems might be due to this chip.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:25 am

Sorry to see you're having more Mark III troubles. I hope this will be the last problem. They don't list the bolt as factory fit in the manual. It would seem that once they see the photo, they could just ship the bolt to you. This being your second go-round, they should ship the whole bolt assembly and a free magazine or hat to boot......... :wink:

A bolt is one of the very few spare parts I don't have for mine, but I guess if mine is okay after about 2500 rounds, I won't get paranoid on this and order one.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:19 pm

I called Ruger today, and like I feared, they need me to send in the bolt. First he said they need the whole gun, then he must have talked someone into letting me just send the bolt. Either way, no gun. I told him this was a new replacement gun, I don't think he cared much. I guess I just have a bit of bad luck with Rugers.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:48 am

The upside is they will replace the part for you and that will not take long. Once you get the new bolt just slip it into the receiver and you should be good to go. Did you ask them if the bolt should be stripped or complete when you ship it back? You don't want to receive a stripped bolt when you sent back a complete one as that may take some more time to receive all the other incidental parts to make functional. It is definitely worth posing the question before sending off that part.

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:09 pm

That's a good thought Bullseye, I would have overlooked that, and they did not specify stripped or not. This is a little off topic, but, I have been thinking about buying another MKIII, and was thinking of buying a stainless one. I was wondering how resistant to rusting they really are, I have read online were some people have had them rust. I guess I;m trying to figure out if they are worth the extra money. Thanks

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:41 pm

I don't know what others have exposed their stainless pistols to but I find the finish highly corrosion resistant. You can wipe it down and lightly coat it with oil if there is a possibility of exposure to salty air but other than that very little surface maintenance is required for the SS models. I prefer them to the blued versions but I do have both finish styles in my personal collection.

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:55 pm

I called Ruger back today and asked about the bolt, the woman I spoke with said if I was comfortable with it, to send it stripped, which is what I wanted to do. She did say it is possible I won't get it back until after the holidays, but If I need it, I think I can get one from my Dads gun. I am glad to here you say you have been happy with your stainless Rugers. I originally wanted a stainless model, but went with blued because it was cheaper. I have often wished I went with stainless, I guess have extra acidic sweat or something, because I have a hard time keeping the grip frame free of rust. Wiping it down after every use, it still rusts the back strap of the grip. Thats one reason why I wanted stainless, plus I do like the raw brushed steel look.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:30 am

You can use any bolt in your Mark III, they'll all fit. If you end up using a Mark II bolt be sure to remove your LCI from the new Mark III's receiver first.

Ruger does shut down and take a couple of week break between the Holidays. If you get it sent in quickly they may have an opportunity to drop a new one in the mail back before they close down for their break.

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:43 pm

I thought i would report that I got my replacement bolt a few days ago. I sent them my bolt stripped, and got back a complete one with all the parts, so, I can't complain. They were more than fair giving me the complete bolt, as they were replacing my whole gun the first time. I am still thinking about getting another, probably stainless this time, they do look nice.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:12 am

Good news; have you gone out and shot it with the new bolt yet?

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:38 pm

I have put a couple hundred rounds through it with no problems. Looks like it will work fine, I might take the bolt out after a little more shooting just to make sure the new one is hasn't broke.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:43 pm

Good to hear that you may finally got the gun you thought you were buying. It seams there are a few other mfg having QC problems too.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911