Ruger 22/45 Mark III...reassembly

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

gecko0

Ruger 22/45 Mark III...reassembly

Post by gecko0 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:24 am

Hi Everyone...I'm a new 22/45 owner and new to the forums...glad to be here!

So I became a victim of the field stripping of my 22/45 and was hoping to get input on where I went wrong. I have tried following the instructions on the maintenance page here, along with watching several youtube vids and the owner's manual. The problem I'm having is once the firearm is back together, my magazines will not properly seat and never "click" into place. I thought I did all of the little angle this way/hold trigger, etc steps properly, along with getting the pin into place while reinserting the MSH.

Ideas on what I did wrong that stops the magazines from seating?

Thank you for any input!

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Re: Ruger 22/45 Mark III...reassembly

Post by Baldy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:11 pm

gecko0 wrote:Hi Everyone...I'm a new 22/45 owner and new to the forums...glad to be here!

So I became a victim of the field stripping of my 22/45 and was hoping to get input on where I went wrong. I have tried following the instructions on the maintenance page here, along with watching several youtube vids and the owner's manual. The problem I'm having is once the firearm is back together, my magazines will not properly seat and never "click" into place. I thought I did all of the little angle this way/hold trigger, etc steps properly, along with getting the pin into place while reinserting the MSH.

Ideas on what I did wrong that stops the magazines from seating?

Thank you for any input!

Putting it all back together is right here. Good luck..
http://guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm :)

gecko0

Post by gecko0 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:07 pm

Thanks...I'll be trying this again tonight. That guide is the one I used originally, I'm just wondering where I went wrong to narrow it down. Hopefully tonight goes better! :)

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:10 pm

Lock the bolt back before you try to seat the magazine may help. On some you have to push forward on the bottom of the mag.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:55 pm

When you decock the hammer just before inserting the mainspring, you had to insert the mag to pull the trigger. Did it go in then?

gecko0

Post by gecko0 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:21 pm

greener wrote:When you decock the hammer just before inserting the mainspring, you had to insert the mag to pull the trigger. Did it go in then?
The mag won't seat/lock into place at any point, except if I hold the trigger down, then it won't move when I pull on it. I just went through the step-by-step a few more times and am absolutely stumped and frustrated now. Sigh.

It seems as if the bolt pulls back too hard as well...not smooth at all. How can this be so difficult? :oops:

gecko0

Post by gecko0 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:38 pm

Wow. Ok...I think I got it now. Eleventy billion times later and it might just be good to go. :shock:

I don't know if it's anything I did differently, or if I am just pushing on the magazine slightly more (much more force than I expected would be needed), but it seats properly now. Geez. My other firearm is a Springfield Armory XD-M 9mm...the maintenance on that thing has me spoiled!

Now to get to the range and see if it actually shoots!

Thanks again for all the replies...I truly appreciate it.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:44 am

Welcome to GunTalk-Online!

When you stripped your pistol did you do a detail strip or a field strip? In other words did you just take it apart for cleaning of the frame and receiver or did you break it down into all its various little parts?

If you took it apart into little pieces - Sometimes the long leg of the magazine disconnector safety ends up inside the magazine well vice the mainspring well. This can cause very hard seating of your magazine because it has to fit in the magazine well with a spring that is not normally located there.

R,
Bullseye

gecko0

Post by gecko0 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:26 am

I have only done a field strip on it so far. Thank you for the welcome!

mwwilkew

Post by mwwilkew » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:18 pm

I agree the Ruger takedown and reassebly can be a challenge when its new to you. But...it really does get easier. Study the instructions and pictures that Bullseye has provided so that you understand what is going on inside the pistol when you are following all of the "point it up...insert magazine...pull trigger...remove magazine...etc" instructions in the owners manual. Once you understand what is going on inside you can toss the step by step instructions and do it intuitively.