MK III broken sear pin

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

MK III broken sear pin

Post by radio » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Not exactly sure what happened, but found my sear pivot pin broken while cleaning this morning. The gun is dead in the water (or at least on the work table) until I can get another.

Numrich shows "out of stock" (if I was on the correct page) so where else could I locate a new pin that is trusted by folks on this forum?

thanks

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:18 pm

3 online retailers show out of stock, but the parts page on the Ruger website shows the pin for $2--about half of what the others were charging. I don't know about shipping, but it won't run without it.

stewswanson

Sear pin

Post by stewswanson » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:26 pm

I think they charge $10 for shipping so you might as well get some extra springs and stuff while you are ordering.
Stew

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:52 pm

I suspect the pin was broken while "tapping" with the mallet in order to remove OR reinstall the receiver. Mine has been apart several times, but just hasn't loosened up at all.

I think that I will go ahead and order at least 2 of the sear pins--it could very well happen again. I've got another extractor if the factory one wears out, but I agree, if shipping is expensive--might as well stock up on a few things.

What other springs or wear parts would be good to keep on hand? What about hammer spring, sear spring, firing pin or pin stop?

stewswanson

Post by stewswanson » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:18 pm

Recoil spring assm.
Safety detent and spring(they like to play hide and seek)
Firing pin spring and stop.
Stew

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: MK III broken sear pin

Post by bigfatdave » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:06 pm

radio wrote:Not exactly sure what happened, but found my sear pivot pin broken while cleaning this morning. The gun is dead in the water (or at least on the work table) until I can get another.

Numrich shows "out of stock" (if I was on the correct page) so where else could I locate a new pin that is trusted by folks on this forum?

thanks
Call Ruger ... they replaced mine no questions asked when I discovered that it was cracked.

Of course, my mkIII wasn't "dead in the water", it just had some very interesting malfunctions.

Ruger: thanks for calling Ruger's repair center, how can I help you?
Me: I have a mkIII <model#> and I recently noticed that my sear pivot pin, part number <##> is cracked. I've been getting some really interesting malfunctions out of the gun ... ... {trail off there}
Ruger: Um ... Um ... {talking to supervisor with phone covered up} since you have it out and diagnosed, would you rather replace the part yourself?
Me: No problem, I just need a new pin, need the serial number off the gun or anything?
Ruger: ... ... No, just an address, we'll get it shipped out right away
Me: Need the old part back?
Ruger: ... ... No! You should dispose of it.

... I think they overnighted it, that might have been the time that I got extras, or maybe that was from Walther for a P22 .... ... I'd have to check the parts bin and se what's hiding in there leftover

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:59 pm

Nice work, BFD. I may give that a try myself.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:17 am

thats the same converstion I've had with ruger on smal parts.

except I've said to them, "whats the total price on that?"

Ruger CS, " nothing, you are all set. enjoy"

I really like their Customer service for small parts (springs, pins, etc) I have not had to send anything back for repairs so I cannot comment there.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:20 am

Call them, they'll send you a new one for free.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:41 am

What causing the pin to break?

Is a fatigue cycle from the hammer falling and resetting?
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:02 am

blue68f100 wrote:What causing the pin to break?

Is a fatigue cycle from the hammer falling and resetting?
Honestly, in my case I think it was the mallet "tapping" or darn near pounding to get the receiver off of the frame for cleaning yesterday. I haven't had it fully apart many times, but mine just isn't loosening up like I thought it should. I can't see it ever being simply "slid" off or onto the frame.

I fired about 30 rounds through it the day before and unless it broke on the last shot--it seemed just fine. It only has maybe 6 or 700 rounds through it since I bought it new. I'm not sure what others have found to be the reason.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:58 pm

I assumed minor material flaw combined with overly enthusiastic attempts to disassemble with hammer in wrong place or mag in ... I discovered it around the time I got the gun down to a bare frame and added a bunch of BW parts and a Sam Lam hammer bushing.

And thinking of that, as you're planning on having your sear out, now would be the time to upgrade internals.

radio
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by radio » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:59 pm

I installed the Clark bushing not long after buying the gun--probably due to reading about it here. I may do other mods in the near future, but the bushing alone made a HUGE difference in the feel and MY accuracy.

Speaking of internals, I just slid everything into a ziplock bag as soon as I found the broken pin. A few years ago, there would have been no way I could have dealt with an exploded MK and probably would have sold it cheap as a "Ruger in a bag".

With the step by step procedures here on this site, reassembly is a breeze.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:06 pm

I would like to see a picture of the fracture face if you have a macro capability with your camera. If it's a very fine surface on the face it's more than likely fatigue. Which brings up how a hammer rotating 90deg could fatigue a pin.

It's no way pounding on the receiver with a mallet would fail a pin. Something else is going on.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:48 pm

if you try to muscle off the reciver fom the frame without ensuring the hammer is cocked can break the pin. my buddy did that with his 22/45, that I fixed for him.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne