Buckmark FTF

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Buckmark FTF

Post by greener » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:43 pm

Seems to be my season for failures to fire. Today it was my Buckmark Standard. Starting having FTF. Casings looked like the firing pin just barely knicked the edge of the rim. Ended up having 6 of these in a row with Federal value pack. 4 of 4 winchester rounds fired.

Probable cause was the sight base screws loosening up. It's about time for locktite on those screws.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: Buckmark FTF

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:26 am

greener wrote:Seems to be my season for failures to fire. Today it was my Buckmark Standard. Starting having FTF. Casings looked like the firing pin just barely knicked the edge of the rim. Ended up having 6 of these in a row with Federal value pack. 4 of 4 winchester rounds fired.

Probable cause was the sight base screws loosening up. It's about time for locktite on those screws.
What does the sight base screw have to do with the firing pin, possibly your framisttat is bent?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Re: Buckmark FTF

Post by greener » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:03 am

bearandoldman wrote:
greener wrote:Seems to be my season for failures to fire. Today it was my Buckmark Standard. Starting having FTF. Casings looked like the firing pin just barely knicked the edge of the rim. Ended up having 6 of these in a row with Federal value pack. 4 of 4 winchester rounds fired.

What does the sight base screw have to do with the firing pin, possibly your framisttat is bent?
Nope, I've already had a bent framistat (aka recoil guide rod). It just prevents the slide from opening and closing properly.

Buckmarks have a two-screw metal strip that has the rear sights. This strip rides on top of the slide and holds it in place vertically. The screws have lock washers. Mine seem to be backing out, allowing the site base to lift, which could allow the slide with firing pin to lift. That's the only way I figure that the firing pin could almost miss the cartridge rim.

Buckmarks are nice .22 pistols. They shoot very accurately and have a nice, crisp trigger out of the box. I've had just enough trouble with this one to move it down on my list of favorites.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:26 am

Thank you for enlightening me this morning, that is enough education for the day,
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

charlesb
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by charlesb » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:08 am

The Buckmarks are very good looking pistols. The Browning stuff is always really nice.