Ruger Mark II Target Magazines

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

boutaswell

Ruger Mark II Target Magazines

Post by boutaswell » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:19 pm

Has anyone run across this problem...I recently purchased 2 new Mark II magazines, Ruger oem, one from Ruger online and the other from a local shop. It seems that neither one will hold the 10th round securely. You can just push it right out of the top of the stack, tap the mag and the round will just fall out. I've taken the follower out and although it seems to slide freely, fine sanded rough edges off. It's almost like it just doesn't like 10 rounds in the mag. My 3rd mag, from who knows where, has never had this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Richard
Ruger Mark II Target
Springfield Armory 1911A1

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Georgezilla » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:15 pm

Welcome to GTOL! The 10th round in all my MKIII mags doesn't come out with just a tap, but the round will fly out with a little whack and can be slid out easily, in general I'd say the round is not held in nearly as securely as a SD pistol mag would. I don't think the issue would have anything to do with the follower unless it was deformed, I think it'd have more to do with the contour of the rear feed lips (not sure the terminology there) that the rounds rim are held against, or the strength of the follower spring.

Have you tried swapping the spring from your 3rd mag into the 2 mags that you have a concern with?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Welcome to GunTalk-Online.

10 rounds loaded in a magazine is a strain on the mag follower spring, especially if the tension is a little weak. The rear feed lips are designed to hold the rim of the cartridge just long enough to start the nose of the cartridge into the pistol's chamber mouth then release the rim. Any longer on the release point and the cartridge rim would not slide underneath the extractor hook properly and force a jam during the loading sequence. That first round is typically a manual load, after that the follower has more pressure on the successive rounds in the magazine. Also you can check to ensure there's no flash in the stamped follower track to interfere with the follower button and interfere with the mag follower spring's tension. A little touch up here with a burnishing tool can smooth up the follower's motion.

R,
Bullseye

boutaswell

Post by boutaswell » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks but swapping springs was no help. Must be something very minute with the 2 new mags. Just have to keep an eye on them. Maybe they'll break in over time and I'll touch up any part on part contact areas.
Richard, SFC USA(Ret) '73-'93
Ruger Mark II Target & Springfield Armory 1911A1
Bosch Router & Porter Cable Table Saw

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:26 pm

It doesn't take very much friction to affect the mags when they're fully loaded. Slide the follower up and down the tracks when the mags are empty, that should reveal if there's any drag on the followers. Any roughness here is contributing to your experience.

R,
Bullseye