Ultradot Matchdot ring problem

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

STB_43

Ultradot Matchdot ring problem

Post by STB_43 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:11 pm

I puchased an Ultradot Matchdot for my wife's Ruger MkIII 22/45 but we weren't able to use it for long before having to send the pistol to Ruger for repair (another story). In the meantime, I mounted the red dot on a S&W 22A. Even though the rings were fastened tightly, I had a problem with the entire scope gradually rotating to the right (clockwise from normal shooting position) during firing. The scope was loose enough that I could rotate it back into position by hand. Continued shooting was a repeat of this rotation. I guessed that this might be due to the built-in rail being poorly dimensioned (too wide).

Then I purchased a Weaver #62 mount for my S&W M41 and mounted the Matchdot on it. Low and behold the same problem. The tube rotates clockwise in the rings during firing. Only now, it is snug enough that I can't just grab the scope and rotate it back into position.

So I called Ultradot and explained the issue. The tech's first suggestion was to buy steel rings; he explained they furnish the anodized aluminum rings in the box just so the scope can be mounted right away. Also said you can easily spend as much on the rings as on the red dot. I told him I would like to avoid spending significant money for rings and asked for other ideas. He suggested either electrical tape or Loctite between the rings and the tube.

I was, of course, disappointed that they would furnish rings with the Matchdot that don't hold the tube securely. I know I've tightened them down sufficiently, if not too tight, since there are thread marks from the screws on the surface of the mount.

Has anyone else experienced this with the Matchdot? What is your recommended solution using the furnished rings? If replacement rings (undoubtedly steel) are necessary, do you have a recommended brand/model?

Thanks for any help.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Almost sounds like something is out of spec. A simple fix may be apply a drop of Blue Loctite on the rings where it contacts the scope tube.

If the 2 haves are clamping tight, might remove some material (where it contacts) so they can draw up more.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:20 pm

The rings have been an issue in the past with the Ultradot scopes. They are not the best rings. The aluminum ring bands can stretch causing a loose fit on the scope tube. The LockTite on the underside of the scope tube suggestion is a sound one. Using electrical tape can also work but then the rings can be overtightened and then they stretch more. The other side with the tape is it could damage the scope tube if tightened too much too. I'd use some blue (#242) under the scope, just a dot on each ring and then install the scope in the rings. You shouldn't have any more issues with that suggestion. The other option is to go with steel rings which won't stretch under tension.

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:11 pm

The rings that come with Ultradot's are not that great. One of mine had the head of the screw completely break through the ring, the counter bore that allows the head of the screw to be recessed, was drilled way to far. If it is of any help, I replaced them with Leupold Rifleman vertical split rings. They still are not high quality, but they seem to be working. I paid $15.00 for them.

mark II
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by mark II » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:40 pm

I know I'm a couple of days behind on this one but you could take a file to the openning at the top of the rings, after you took them apart. Shouldn't need more than a couple of passes on each side.
Mark II

STB_43

Post by STB_43 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. I'll be measuring the rings and checking the surfaces where the halves touch. Assuming that no filing is necessary to clean up mating surfaces, I'll try Loctite as blue68f100 and Bullseye suggested and give them another try.

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

UD rings

Post by stork » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:08 am

STB,
the first thing I do with an Ultra Dot is throw away the rings and install a set of Weaver low rings.

While I have never had the UD rings slip, I clean my 45's and 22's twice yearly by total dismantling and soaking them. It is much easier to remove the dot and reinstall it with Weavers without losing my zero's. When I go to Camp Perry I also take an extra dot already sighted in for my 45. I've never needed it, but its there and would only take 30 seconds to remove and install.

The proper way to install the UD rings is to tighten the bottom screw first, then the top screw.

For the time spent trying to make a silk purse out of the factory rings, you'd be far better off picking up a set of good rings for $10-15.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington