just a little to light 1lb 14 oz

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

dopey137

just a little to light 1lb 14 oz

Post by dopey137 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:29 pm

I tested the trigger on a laymans digit guage and came out with 1lb 14 oz average and as low as 1 lb 8 oz
mkIII 6 7/8 target with vq trigger,sear and hammer

1st question - should I complain ?? :wink:
2nd questions - whats the draw backs other than it's not competition grade

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:25 pm

Did you install a trigger upgrade kit? If you did then replace the VQ lighter trigger reduced power trigger plunger spring with the factory original - this will get you an extra 4-6 oz of trigger pull back.

If you're not shooting NRA competition or other sanctioned competitions, then this is no problem unless you're uncomfortable with the weight. I'm not sure how accurate your digital scale is but you might want to try lifting standard weights to remeasure the pull.

R,
Bullseye

dopey137

Post by dopey137 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:12 am

I have not taken it to the range yet - so I dont now how I'll do with the pull this light - I'm sure I'll have to get used to it -
I'm just wondering about me double tapping

Bud33
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Bud33 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:42 am

Like Bullseye said, unless you are shooting in sanctioned competition, it shouldn't be a problem, unless it causes the gun to go auto. I would start out by loading two rounds at a time till you are sure.

I always found the a very light trigger was hard to control and I would get shots before I was ready...
Bud

Beware the man who only has one gun.
HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:33 am

My Mark II with a VQ sear and Marvel adjustable trigger is set for about a pound and a half and I really like it but that's just my personal preference. I've never had any problems with it at that light weight and I don't shoot in competition (probably would embarass myself if I did). I've got my CZ 452 American currently set at that same weight. It comes standard with a trigger adjustable for weight and I changed that to a lighter spring coupled with an Automation Solutions adjustable sear. It's really sweet off a sand bag at 50 yards. When I'm on, I can cover 5 shot groups with a dime. Makes me think I'm actually a shooter!

JimK

Light trigger

Post by JimK » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:04 am

I'm like Bud, with too light a trigger I catch myself firing before I'm ready and sometimes double tapping unintensionally.
My 9mm Witness Limited has a 2.3 lb. pull and thats almost too light for me. For a carry or home protection gun I wouldn't even consider anything less than 6-8 lbs. Too light a trigger on a carry and your liable to shoot off your wangerl lol
Jim

Blindpig

Re: Light trigger

Post by Blindpig » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:40 am

JimK wrote:For a carry or home protection gun I wouldn't even consider anything less than 6-8 lbs. Too light a trigger on a carry and your liable to shoot off your wangerl lol
Jim
My CCW is a Kimber Pro Carry II .45 with Tru-Glo tritium night sights and a 3.5 lb. trigger pull. The factory pull at about 6 lb. was too heavy for me. I want to make sure that I put that first round into the target (read that badguy) and the lighter trigger pull helps me do that without being unreliable. My lawyer friends (that's an oxymoron, isn't it?) tell me I can defend that in court if need be. We've got "Make My Day" and "Stand Your Ground" laws in Oklahoma so that may not be much of an issue, anyway.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

trigger pull

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:43 pm

My carry gun's all 1911's of different llngth barrels are all in the 4 to 5 pund area and I do not ccare for any lighter. My play guns are all Ruger 22/45's and are 2 to slightly over 2 pounds, my spoting clays shotgun are all just about 3-1/2 pound, just my personal preferences. Do not want to have a ND in a self defense situation whne the adrenilin is pumping fast. The 4 to 5 pund pull is also advised by a lot of LEO friends and armoresrs.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Blindpig

Re: trigger pull

Post by Blindpig » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:43 pm

[quote="bearandoldman"]Do not want to have a ND in a self defense situation whne the adrenilin is pumping fast. quote]
Pretty hard to have a negligent discharge if your finger is outside the trigger guard. That's where mine stays until I'm ready to pull the trigger.

bearandoldman

Re: trigger pull

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:48 pm

Blindpig wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:Do not want to have a ND in a self defense situation whne the adrenilin is pumping fast. quote]
Pretty hard to have a negligent discharge if your finger is outside the trigger guard. That's where mine stays until I'm ready to pull the trigger.
Me too, but people in the trade that use a gun every day lean toward the 4 to 5 pund pull for a carry or duty gun. some police departments insist on 8, you have to take into effect the adrenilin factor from people that have experienced it. I carry one daily and just as every LEO around, we always hope we do not have to use it.

Catbird

Post by Catbird » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:42 pm

I suppose I'm an oddball because I prefer my triggers a tad heavier. As long as they are crisp, I rarely complain. My Ruger MKII still has the stock trigger in it with no mods -- even though it measures 3½ lbs., it has absolutely no creep that I can detect, so I'm going to leave it alone. The same thing goes for my new Ruger 22/45 MKIII Hunter. The trigger measures ever-so-slightly less than 4 lbs., but is super crisp and sweet AS IS, so other than removing the magazine safety, I'm going to leave it alone.

For some strange reason, I don't shoot as well with extremely light triggers.

P.S.
oldman-
Catbird
:)

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:49 pm

To each, his own. That's the great thing about easily replaceable components, they don't have to be replaced too, if one's happy with what they already have inside the pistol.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:10 pm

Catbird wrote:I suppose I'm an oddball because I prefer my triggers a tad heavier. As long as they are crisp, I rarely complain. My Ruger MKII still has the stock trigger in it with no mods -- even though it measures 3½ lbs., it has absolutely no creep that I can detect, so I'm going to leave it alone. The same thing goes for my new Ruger 22/45 MKIII Hunter. The trigger measures ever-so-slightly less than 4 lbs., but is super crisp and sweet AS IS, so other than removing the magazine safety, I'm going to leave it alone.

For some strange reason, I don't shoot as well with extremely light triggers.

P.S.
oldman-
Catbird
:)
YOUNGSTER

greener

Post by greener » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:03 pm

[quote="bearandoldman

YOUNGSTER[/quote]

Yes, Sir, and we were taught to respect our elders.

I think it depends on the trigger. I've got a couple in the 6-8 range that shoot very nicely. The MKIII with VQ kit is really great, but I don't think I'd want it on the M&P. Switching back and forth between "heavy" and "light" requires a bit of concentration.

dopey137

Post by dopey137 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:18 am

I have a ruger p85 -9mm at 6 and a smith 39 at 5
I find the smith has a habit of double tapping (can't be me)
the only pistols I would even consider bringing down the pull would be for the range - never on my personal protection pieces
I know from experience that an accidental discharge is too easy
just watch the idiots on the range that have no training
I have worked range safety when I was in the military
talk about a dangerous job