MKIII Hunter Firing Pin assembly

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

JimK

MKIII Hunter Firing Pin assembly

Post by JimK » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:35 pm

Hi Fellows, I've had my MKIII 67/8" SS Hunter for a little over a year now with probably over 8-10K rounds put through it and nothing but total satisfaction on my part.
Now.....I don't know how many times I stripped and cleaned the pistol without incident, but yesterday when cleaning the bolt..... I removed the recoil spring assembly to clean around and under it and the darn Firing Pin Stop Pin fell out and then out popped the Firing Pin and that very little Rebound Spring but couldn't find the Rebound Spring Support (that little flat curved piece that looks like it fits in the rebound spring. I think it just lays in the bottom of the slot where the firing pin goes. Anyway, I was able to get the rebound spring, firing pin and Firing pin stop pin back in and finish assembling the gun. It seems to operate ok, but I haven't fired anything through it yet.
Did I reassemble the spring, firingpin and stop pin correctly? Really hate to mess up the gun.
Help is appreciated,
NOTE: I found the rebound spring support, but it had the tip broken off. Do I have to go to Ruger to get one of those? Also, the firing pin stop pin had always been tight. Do they just loosen up over time?
Jim

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:36 pm

Without this support the spring doesn't have the proper tension to prevent your firing pin from contacting the rim during operation . That little support adds tension to the spring and prevents the firing pin from striking the case rim. This plus the support prevent the spring from kinking and later breaking from repetitive stress. Contact Ruger and they'll send you a new one in the mail.

The stop pins can loosen up over time. I typically peen one end to deform the pin just enough to prevent it from falling out by gravity, but not enough to cause the pin to need force seating into the bolt stop hole.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

JimK

Firing Pin

Post by JimK » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:45 am

Thanks Bullseye, Little tiny parts drive me crazy. Could I impose on you and ask if you could draw me a profile of that slot so I could see how the rebound spring support and rebound spring set down in that slot. Is there a notch or recess the spring assembly fits in? Does the Firing pin sit on top of or behind the spring?
I always appreciate your help Bullseye.
Thanks,
Jim

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:33 pm

Jim,

Hopefully this picture will help with the spring guide and firing pin positioning.

Its not the clearest photo but the labeling should help. The firing pin will sit over the top of the guide with the flat edge underneath resting right up against the spring. Once the pin's in place, slide the firing pin stop pin in through the side of the bolt to secure the pin in place.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

JimK

Post by JimK » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:22 am

I can't thank you enough Bullseye. That helps a lot. But, just to clarify, The rebound spring support just sits/rests on of the rebound spring itself. "Correct"?
Is there any way to check to make sure you've installed it correctly?
Jim

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:40 am

Not exactly, the spring slides over the narrow end of the support all the way up until the metal support widens out. In the picture the spring looks like it is sitting on top of that support, but actually the metal tab is inside the coils. This is what gives the spring its support during recoil. It operates a lot like the spring guide plug of a 1911, and provides partial support for the spring. The shape of the firing pin's underside constrains the spring even more and holds in in place to prevent kinking and breaking. Without the support, the spring would break due to repetitive stresses and kinking. Here is another view of all the bolt components laid out, even though it is a little fuzzy, you can see the orientation better between the spring and the guide.

When you install the return spring and the bolt is assembled, you can push on the back of the firing pin and it should return to its original position when you let go. All the return spring does is reposition the firing pin, above flush, so the hammer can strike it cleanly each time it drops.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

JimK

Firing Pin

Post by JimK » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:32 am

Fantastic Bullseye, I'm very visually orientated (One picture is worth a thousand words) and that picture illustrates the relationship and assembly of the rebound spring support, rebound spring and how they fit together and sit down in the notch with the firing pin.
I called Ruger and they're sending me a rebound spring, rebound spring support and the new firing pin stop pin that is rolled and wont fall out. You guys out there might want to have Ruger send you one of the new firing pin stop pins and repoace the old one is they're getting loose
Thanks again Bullseye,
Jim :)