Failure to fire

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:16 pm

I would not send it in until you've determined that the frame is indeed the source of the problem. If you cannot duplicate the error consistently then it is pointless to send in for warranty work. They will only send it back with minor fixes after checking the tolerances of the factory parts.

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:13 pm

To everyone who posted, I just wanted to say thank you.

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:40 pm

I was just thinking, could it be possible in some way with my hammer pin hole to just smash the metal back to form, closing the size of the hole back to wear it was.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:07 pm

The problem is that would only be a temporary repair and the spring tension would eventually push the hole back out of round again but the only difference is the evidence that the frame has been altered. Ruger would see that as a owner induced problem instead of a material defect. Interesting that this problem exists mainly on one side of the frame. The frame halves are stamped separately then welded together. It is possible that one of the halves wasn't made to the correct specifications to cause that pinhole deformation. Even still I keep thinking that what I'm seeing is not adding up to the problems you're experiencing. Your hammer is not resetting properly and I'm not sure why it is following the bolt.

BTW, the hammer following the bolt will usually result in what you're experiencing not typically auto fire. Generally the energy of the hammer is gradually reduced as it slides down the rear of the bolt when it closes. Not usually enough energy to force the firing pin forward hard enough to crush the case rim and detonate. For this condition to happen the timing has to have a slight enough delay to allow the bolt to close before the hammer falls.

Again, I would go back to installing known good OEM parts and substituting them out until you find the culprit.

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:52 am

I understand what your thinking about there being a timing issue, because the hole has been that way for a while but the miss firing has just recently become more often. Earlier tonight the guy at Ruger actually called me in regard to the issue, I called a few days ago to actually speak to a person, but could not get through. On the phone he seemed concerned about the hammer pin hole, stating that it is not normal and the frame would probably be replaced, and was quick to say they will send me a shipping label within the next few hours. So I guess I will ship it tomorrow, and see what happens. When shipping a firearm, should I put it in the original plastic box, then package that in a normal card board box?

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:50 am

When shipping a firearm, should I put it in the original plastic box, then package that in a normal card board box?
Yes, That's what I do. DO NOT right on the box what's in it. Just the label is all you want.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:49 am

That's the difference between talking to the person at the customer service department and actually talking with one of the firearms technicians from the repair shop. The CS rep will say "All is well, remain calm!" And the repair tech will give you the real info. I said before that hole "weeping" in the frame like that was highly abnormal. Which was why I advised, "not to touch it" when you asked.

Put the pistol and one empty mag into the Ruger plastic box; nothing else just the firearm and one mag. Then put that container into a plain box for shipment back to Ruger for repair. As mentioned before do not put any indication of the contents on the outside of the box. Yes, one could assume the contents from the shipping address but you are making the box as inconspicuous as possible. Include a note with brief description of your problem and the serial number of your gun; to keep the note and firearm matched. You'd be surprised how many folks forget that serial number on the note and imagine scores of pistols waiting for repairs. Add any contact info you can for the techs in case they need to speak with you. They'll take care of it from there.

R,
Bullseye

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:17 am

In addition I would address it the way their packages to me are return-addressed, just S.R. & Co.. The "Sturm, Ruger" is not spelled out. Less likely to catch the eye of a shipping thief who is familiar with gun brands.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks guys.

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:56 pm

I have somewhat of a update on my gun after being sent to Ruger. In the letter I sent with my gun I mentioned that along with the hammer pin hole problem, my gun had severe breech face battering like what you can see in Georgezilla's post about the battering he had on his gun. The letter they sent me was saying I need to provide the FFL I want the gun shipped to because the barrel/receiver is being replaced free of charge. They even said they will cover the FFL transfer fee. There was no mention of any other details about repair, I guess the letter was strictly about providing a FFL for them. I called Ruger to check if they were going to do anything about my frame, but the woman I spoke with said that information won't be available until all work is completed and then there will be a service report. I'm thinking the frame will also be replaced if they replaced the barrel/receiver, because the frame issue was the main reason they wanted me to send it in, I added that they should look at the breech just in the letter I sent. So far I am pretty happy with Ruger, I hope it's not to much longer before get my gun back.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:27 am

How quickly everything gets resolved is dependent on the workload that Ruger has to fill. Sometimes they have a light load and things get resolved very quickly. Other times they have a heavy backlog/workload and it takes a relatively longer time to get everything settled. No matter what, I'm confident you'll be satisfied with the solution.

R,
Bullseye

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:20 am

Sounds like you may be getting a new gun....... :D
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:49 am

In a case like this, where Ruger replaces a receiver, would they pull a blank one and stamp it with the faulty receiver's serial, or do you get a new serial number?

Sounds like with piasashooter needing a new receiver and frame, they may as well just send a complete new gun.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Ruger used to stamp the new receiver with the same serial number but with a "D" in front of the old number. The "D" stands for duplicate. However since the serial number is not the same with the added letter they still had to do a DROS transfer of the firearm. Now they just pull out a new receiver and DROS that one. The receiver roll stamping machine is automated and is more difficult to stop the whole process to reset to an old number than to just grab a new one directly off the production line. The old receiver will get destroyed.

R,
Bullseye

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:17 pm

I think I will get a new serial number, I don't completely recall what the letter said, but the way I understood it they meant it would have a new number.