New MKIII 22/45

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

New MKIII 22/45

Post by greener » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:20 pm

Gander Mountain's $200 deal on a MKIII 22/45 was too much to pass up. When I bought my first Ruger, I decided I didn't like the grip on the 22/45, but the $200 price was too hard to pass up.

The 5.5" bull barrel 22/45 feels much lighter than my stainless MKIII Hunter. The pistol also seems looser than the Hunter. At least it is much easier to remove and replace the barrel than on the hunter. Field strip and assembly is similar and not bad.

The pistol shot well out of the box. It took a bit of sight adjustment to get the 36gr HP Federal Value Pack rounds onto the target. The pistol shot well at 15 and 25 yards. No ammo problems other than one FTF. Interesting to note that I had 2 FTF's with my 22A and about a dozen and a few jams with the MKIII Hunter. Temperature was 30-35 and the Hunter probably needed cleaning. Overall, I was very pleased with the 22/45. At $200 it was a temptation I couldn't resist.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Re: New MKIII 22/45

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:42 pm

greener wrote:Gander Mountain's $200 deal on a MKIII 22/45 was too much to pass up. When I bought my first Ruger, I decided I didn't like the grip on the 22/45, but the $200 price was too hard to pass up.

The 5.5" bull barrel 22/45 feels much lighter than my stainless MKIII Hunter. The pistol also seems looser than the Hunter. At least it is much easier to remove and replace the barrel than on the hunter. Field strip and assembly is similar and not bad.

The pistol shot well out of the box. It took a bit of sight adjustment to get the 36gr HP Federal Value Pack rounds onto the target. The pistol shot well at 15 and 25 yards. No ammo problems other than one FTF. Interesting to note that I had 2 FTF's with my 22A and about a dozen and a few jams with the MKIII Hunter. Temperature was 30-35 and the Hunter probably needed cleaning. Overall, I was very pleased with the 22/45. At $200 it was a temptation I couldn't resist.
Don't feel guilty, it's my fault for telling you about the sae at Gander Mountain.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:53 pm

Glad you did. I don't have a good reason for having a second MKIII, but it's loads of fun to shoot. May have to send some ammo downrange tomorrow just to make sure it still works. That, and trying out the smaller aperture ghost ring on the single six.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:22 pm

bearandoldman wrote:Don't feel guilty, it's my fault for telling you about the sale...
I was able to resist the temptations from your Sweet-Talking Forked-Tongue... :twisted:

I attribute the strength of my resistance to:
1. my independent-mind that resists manipulations/suggestions from others
2. I've recently spent my 'gun money' on Marlin, NEF & Savage rifles...
3. GanderMountain does not have a store in the DFW area...

I'll just have to be content with my MK2s... :lol:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:04 pm

toyfj40 wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:Don't feel guilty, it's my fault for telling you about the sale...
I was able to resist the temptations from your Sweet-Talking Forked-Tongue... :twisted:

I attribute the strength of my resistance to:
1. my independent-mind that resists manipulations/suggestions from others
2. I've recently spent my 'gun money' on Marlin, NEF & Savage rifles...
3. GanderMountain does not have a store in the DFW area...

I'll just have to be content with my MK2s... :lol:
Sounds like mostly reason 3 to me Tex.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:08 pm

Your independence of mind is a quality much to be admired. You are indeed made of sterner stuff than I. However, may I point out that there is a GM in Tyler and that my Texas relatives repeatedly tell me that 100 miles is hardly a fair stretch of the leg. (I had an Aunt who couldn't understand why I was reluctant to pop down to San Antonio for a Sunday dinner...from Lawton, OK...in a 57 VW that could get over 55 mph only down hill with a stiff tail wind. "Why, it's just no distance at all to us Texans."). May I also point out that budgets for the necessities of life (fishing gear and guns) are somewhat flexible. While I believe it is my duty to make up for spending shortfalls in the FY2006 budget, "she-who-must-be-obeyed" keeps muttering about having already spent the FY2010 budget.

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:59 pm

BearAndOldMan wrote:mostly reason 3
Greener wrote:Your independence of mind is a quality much to be admired.
a few generations ago, I was "dating" a gal who's father was a retired
Univ.Prof at an E.Texas college... we went for a weekend visit.
Her father had a marvelous sense of humor and the next morning
the "girls" were sleeping in and I invited him out for breakfast...
He proceeded to ask a general question of 'tell me about yourself...'

I rattled off my education and corp-work experience and that I
was a steady church-goer, no drinking troubles, no legal/tax troubles,
non-smoker... etc/etc... then concluded with: I basically just have one vice...

he was grinning, as I was not able to keep a straight face myself,
and ask... and what would this Vice be... ?
I said: "I Lie". we were 'friends' for the rest of my time with his daughter.
... I miss him a LOT more than I miss What's-Her-Name...

as to driving to Tyler (or Amarillo) for a purchase, it seems the
time/mileage would consume the SaleSavings... not that it an
acceptable excuse...

greener

Post by greener » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:38 am

Great story. Mine avoided me for 3 days. I think his opinion has changed only slightly in 4 decades.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:48 am

I've noticed that the fit barrel to grip frame lug on the 22/45 isn't as tight as my stainless Hunter. It takes a bit if tapping with a block or rubber mallet to remove the Hunter barrel and to get the bolt-stop holes to align on reassembly. The 22/45 barrel easily slips off and the bolt stop holes lign up perfectly just by pushing the barrel on the lug until it stops. Also the mainspring latch on the 22/45 is easier to open. Is this a typical difference between the all-steel models and 22/45's?

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:26 am

toyfj40 wrote:
BearAndOldMan wrote:mostly reason 3
Greener wrote:Your independence of mind is a quality much to be admired.
he was grinning, as I was not able to keep a straight face myself,
and ask... and what would this Vice be... ?
I said: "I Lie". we were 'friends' for the rest of my time with his daughter.
... I miss him a LOT more than I miss What's-Her-Name...

quote]

I prefer to not call that lieing, just an embellishment or window dressing that make things look a little better than they really are. Like the ladies they look pretty good but when they put on the powder and teh paint and the nice clothes thay are reql eye catchers. Couple years agg a young lady like that walked into the hardware Where I use to work, dressed to the Nines and a real eyecatcher, boy did she stop traffic. Told her she was the best looking woman I had seen since my wife was her age.
as to driving to Tyler (or Amarillo) for a purchase, it seems the
time/mileage would consume the SaleSavings... not that it an
acceptable excuse...[/ No that is not an acceptaqble excuse, you could go there and by a dozen of them and save enough money to buy a whole lot of other stuff. If you bought a hundred of them you could have benn 2 grand ahead, silly. I thought you Texans always thought big.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:28 am

Barrel to frame fit tends to vary more from individual pistol to pistol than by model. Especially with the 22/45 model, each one is peened at the factory for an individualized fit. This means there's a human factor involved which is based on the preference of the person fitting the frame to the receiver.

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:33 am

greener wrote:I've noticed that the fit barrel to grip frame lug on the 22/45 isn't as tight as my stainless Hunter. It takes a bit if tapping with a block or rubber mallet to remove the Hunter barrel and to get the bolt-stop holes to align on reassembly. The 22/45 barrel easily slips off and the bolt stop holes lign up perfectly just by pushing the barrel on the lug until it stops. Also the mainspring latch on the 22/45 is easier to open. Is this a typical difference between the all-steel models and 22/45's?
Greener remember her we are dealing with a polymer frame and they can not hold the tolerances as they do on a steel frame on the hook that the Reciever slides into. I understand they fine tune that fit by hitting the reciever with a large hammer to tighten it up. Sone of my 22/45's will slide right off with a slight push while another one may require o little swat.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:07 pm

That solves another of life's mysteries. The nice thing about my stainless model is that if it doesn't shoot well, I can threaten to clean it when I get home, which entails beating on it. Usually responds well to the threat.

greener

Post by greener » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:26 pm

Faced with doing something useful or going to the range early this morning, I opted for the range. I thought the 22/45 shot very well. Had a couple of FTF's and one stovepipe (Walmart Federal Bulk 36 gr HP). Also had a couple with the Hunter. This was a state public range. Both semi-autos did well with shotgun shells on the burm and clothes pins used to attach targets to the chickenwire target support. Nice thing about this range is that if you get tired of shooting at black dots you can plink a bit.

The Chickahominy Wildlife Management area has relatively new covered lanes (pistol, shotgun and small-bore rifle 17, 25 and 50 yards and high-power rifle up to 100 yards). Pistol and high-power are separated. This year they have had numerous problems with people trashing the range, shooting the shed and using target stands on the rifle range for targets that they were close to shutting it down. Instead, they have put a few undercover officers on the range. The range officer said that this week, two guys who left their targets up and didn't police their brass were fined $500 for littering. The range was pretty clean this morning. Guess it is working.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:27 pm

greener wrote:Faced with doing something useful or going to the range early this morning, I opted for the range. I thought the 22/45 shot very well. Had a couple of FTF's and one stovepipe (Walmart Federal Bulk 36 gr HP). Also had a couple with the Hunter. This was a state public range. Both semi-autos did well with shotgun shells on the burm and clothes pins used to attach targets to the chickenwire target support. Nice thing about this range is that if you get tired of shooting at black dots you can plink a bit.

The Chickahominy Wildlife Management area has relatively new covered lanes (pistol, shotgun and small-bore rifle 17, 25 and 50 yards and high-power rifle up to 100 yards). Pistol and high-power are separated. This year they have had numerous problems with people trashing the range, shooting the shed and using target stands on the rifle range for targets that they were close to shutting it down. Instead, they have put a few undercover officers on the range. The range officer said that this week, two guys who left their targets up and didn't police their brass were fined $500 for littering. The range was pretty clean this morning. Guess it is working.
That ought to get the point across. Maybe that is why I use the indoor range that I now am a mameber at. The place is always neat and clean with a nice windowed lounge areat with high tables and stools to Ma can watch me shoot. And the best of all no cold range time as the target carriers are computer controlled and programable, also if you are know there, no range office in attendance. Anthing that is safe isa llowed irf you are safe doing it, like draw from concealemnet , rapid fire and shooting other thatn a paper target. Like an old soccer ball hanging on a rope from the targer carrier. Very nice group the owner, his son and one other gentleman, and always ready to help you id you need them.