One of the biggest grins I've seen

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

One of the biggest grins I've seen

Post by greener » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:57 pm

Made my regular Saturday Pilgrimage to the range today. The main objective was to learn to shoot my new M&P 9mm. I took my rimfires along. Got to talking about guns with two guys at the range. Let one of the fire my MKIII Hunter (VQ trigger, sear, hammer) after he told me he didn't like rimfires. Pushed over a brick of Federal Hollow points. He couldn't get enough of shooting the Ruger and had the biggest grin I've ever seen. Kept saying stuff like "I'm going to get in trouble with the boss." The two of them may have shot 200 rounds with the ruger. I don't think one of them will be quite as sniffy about rimfires after this.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:09 pm

Nothing like a little demo to convince the well opinionated to rethink their position.

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:53 pm

Good to "see" you back, Bullseye.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:06 pm

I've been checking in every few days, but I haven't had much time to post replies on the forum. Time may be giving me a break soon, so I'll be posting more frequently. I still have a lot of work backed up but things are looking better for reducing the backlog.

R,
Bullseye

John fox
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by John fox » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:29 am

No matter what guns I bring to the range, a rimfire always accompanies them.

greener

Post by greener » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:03 pm

Even when I go to the range to shoot other than rimfires, I take one along to "warm up." Actually, I take 3, just in case I decide I've done all the loudenboomer firing I want to do and want to keep shooting.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:34 pm

greener wrote:Even when I go to the range to shoot other than rimfires, I take one along to "warm up." Actually, I take 3, just in case I decide I've done all the loudenboomer firing I want to do and want to keep shooting.
Me, too, Greener. There's always a .22 somewhere in the back of the Jeep when I go to the range. After I've put a sizeable dent in my cache of 9mm and/or .45, I fall back on the rimfires for the rest of my session. That way, I always leave with a smile on my face!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:23 am

I enjoy shooting the rimfires too. I find that I get the same quality of training from them as I do from the centerfires. I shoot within a point or two average score with both cartridge style pistols, so shooting the rimfires is economically beneficial. Plus like everyone else has said, they're a lot of fun too.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:54 am

Bullseye, do you have any rimfire conversions for your 1911s? I've been thinking about getting a .22 conversion for one of my Kimbers but I don't know if I'd get enough benefit from a training perspective to justify the cost. What do you think? My rimfire pistol shooting now is confined to my Mark II with the VQ sear and Marvel adjustable trigger.

John fox
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by John fox » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:19 am

Blindpig: I have a 17 mII conversion kit from Kimber which I put on my Colt series 70 Government model. More expensive to shoot than the 22 but a hoot to shoot. I don't think they make the 17 kit anymore and I'm glad I got mine.

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:07 am

John fox wrote:Blindpig: I have a 17 mII conversion kit from Kimber which I put on my Colt series 70 Government model. More expensive to shoot than the 22 but a hoot to shoot. I don't think they make the 17 kit anymore and I'm glad I got mine.
I just looked at Kimber's web site and it appears that they still make the conversion in 17 Mach 2. I may consider that. Sounds like fun!

John fox
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by John fox » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:51 am

It's flat shooting and loud. Tried it first on my Gold Cup [Colt] and it wouldn't fire everytime. Works good on the government model. My friend has a Springfield and it doesn't fit but you seem to have a Kimber and it shouldn't be a problem.
Enjoy!

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:37 am

Blindpig wrote:Bullseye, do you have any rimfire conversions for your 1911s? I've been thinking about getting a .22 conversion for one of my Kimbers but I don't know if I'd get enough benefit from a training perspective to justify the cost. What do you think? My rimfire pistol shooting now is confined to my Mark II with the VQ sear and Marvel adjustable trigger.
Yes, I have a Marvel Unit 1. It is currently sitting on a dedicated 1911 frame and I enjoy shooting it very much. This conversion unit brand has the accuracy that I insist on in a accessory for my personal collection.

For me, shooting a .22 is equally rewarding as shooting the bigger bore centerfires. I shoot equally as well, or poor, with both caliber styles. But I find the .22's more economical to shoot over the centerfires.

I cannot answer if there's a cost-benefit or training benefit in purchasing one of these conversion units based on the information you've provided me. I do not know many things, like: why do you want a .22 conversion unit; what type/style of shooting you do; how often; what goals you are attempting to achieve/gain from one in training. Only you can answer these questions based on your usage.

I personally own many .22 pistols, but do I realize a benefit from them all? No not really, but each has their own usage characteristics that I choose for different situations. Kind of like a set of golf clubs - you could drive a ball off the tee with a putter, but why would anyone really want to do that? Now, I'm not comparing a .22 conversion unit to a putter, just saying I don't really need all the different firearms I own but I prefer some over others in various situations.

Take some time to compare brands. First, decide what your desires in a conversion unit are, and then see which brand best meets those expectations. They all seem to go on sale at Midway from time-to-time. Right now the Kimber is the sale item, but a few months ago I noticed the Marvel's were on sale.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Blindpig

Post by Blindpig » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:32 am

Bullseye, thanks much for your reply. I always value your advice. I'm actually thinking about selling my Mark II to finance the purchase of the conversion unit. I don't do a lot of rimfire pistol shooting and the Mark II just seems to be sitting there in its case. I picked it up used and had a lot of fun doing the modifications to the sear and trigger (you may remember that you helped me with some of that) but, like it happens some times, I guess the bloom has gone off that rose. I'd probably keep it but I don't like to have to throw my hat in the door first when I come home, if you know what I mean.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:12 pm

Well I'm sure you know your own needs best; but if you don't shoot much rimfire, then what purpose would obtaining a .22 conversion unit serve? I'm a little confused on that point, but then again this unit is for your use, not for mine.

R,
Bullseye