GSC 1911 22LR? Chiappa 1911 22 LR

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

.22 LR Options - Lots to check out.

Post by Coach1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Well, whether it is a firm price or a starting place to negotiate... $2900.00 is way out of my league. The Colt ACE is off the table. I like the price range for the Colt / Walther. The P22 looks very good too. Hard to say how closely it matches 1911 characteristics... looks like a poly frame at least.

This one will be on my list to check out at the gun show this weekend.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:54 pm

I picked up a new project 10/22 for my daughter when I was at the LGS with my brother. He was doing the paperwork for a purchase when I asked about it sitting in a grocery cart. $150 + tax with the mag and it's lightly used and at least 20 years old. I've stripped it down and have already figured out the initial mods. Ahhh!

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:59 am

99/100 wrote:I picked up a new project 10/22 for my daughter when I was at the LGS with my brother. He was doing the paperwork for a purchase when I asked about it sitting in a grocery cart. $150 + tax with the mag and it's lightly used and at least 20 years old. I've stripped it down and have already figured out the initial mods. Ahhh!
Keep it up and you'll have to get a dog named Bear....... :wink:
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:33 pm

ruger22 wrote:
99/100 wrote:I picked up a new project 10/22 for my daughter when I was at the LGS with my brother. He was doing the paperwork for a purchase when I asked about it sitting in a grocery cart. $150 + tax with the mag and it's lightly used and at least 20 years old. I've stripped it down and have already figured out the initial mods. Ahhh!
I got the real Bear at my side, what I think I do need is another 10/22 to make an M1 carbine look alike.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Got the date wrond

Post by Coach1 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:29 pm

I will have to wait for another week to check these 2 out at the local gun show. I checked and now see that the dates are Feb 26 / 27. So, will get back here with a report in another week.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

greener

Post by greener » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:49 am

bearandoldman wrote:
ruger22 wrote:
I got the real Bear at my side, what I think I do need is another 10/22 to make an M1 carbine look alike.
You'd also need a white SUV. Gets complicated.

Looked at the M1 conversion. Pretty good mod. And just as I was going to buy the Tundra stock. Decisions, decisions.

http://www.eabco.com/m1_carbine_ruger_1022_tribute.htm

greener

Re: Got the date wrond

Post by greener » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:01 am

Coach1 wrote:I will have to wait for another week to check these 2 out at the local gun show. I checked and now see that the dates are Feb 26 / 27. So, will get back here with a report in another week.
You still need permission from the high sheriff to purchase? When I was attending the College of Agriculture and Mechanical Arts you needed permission. It came with the benefit of your name and address published in the paper.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:03 pm

that m1 carbine kit looks fun
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

NC Gun Show purchases

Post by Coach1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:11 pm

I have 2 remaining Permit-To-Purchase certificates of the 5 I bought from my county sheriff. They were $5.00 each and simple to get - just some paperwork to support the background check. Since then I got my NC CCW permit and that eliminates the need for the PTP certificates. I would judge NC and my local sheriff as supporting a reasonable procedure for citizen ownership.

I have not bought any guns at a gun show. I would rather use my favorite LGS which consistently prices new guns at or near what you see on websites. I am too new at all this to be able to evaluate the quality / condition / value of used gun show pistols or rifles. So, I do lot of research, check out what is at the shows and then work a deal with my trusted gun merchant.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Update on GSG 1911

Post by Coach1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:37 pm

I checked out the Chiappa and the GSG 1911 at the recent gun show. I also went to my LGS and took a closer look and the shop owner's personal assessments. The Chiappa is cheaper to own but I did not like the "feel" as well as that of the GSG... nor the Chiappa's plastic magazine.

I was much more impressed with the fit and finish and feel of the GSG. It has a metal mag (albeit comes with only 1 and $30 each additional), there is an ambi-safety (useful for my lefty son-in-law), 3 replacement front sight to get height adjustments at distances., skeleton-ized hammer and cocobolo wood grips are just a few of the immediate differences. Both pistols have an alloy frame with steel is strategic spots. I did some web research on the Kel Tec PMR30 and S&W 22A as well. Neither one dissuaded me from the GSG 1911.

So, yesterday I bought ($330) a GSG from my favorite gun merchant. The price was close to gunshow prices and he added an extra mag for $15.

Last night I stripped the gun for a first cleaning and checkout. The take-down is a little unique but close to typical for a 1911. There is an allen screw on the right side to remove and an extra pin to drive out right to left.

Many internal parts seem to support GSG's claim that they are 1911 interchangeable. I may test that by replacing the ambi-safety with one from Wilson Combat. Just a personal response to the feel of the one on the gun.

Range time is planned for next Saturday. I can't think of a better way to spend my birthday then putting a new gun through its first live fire workout. :D

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

A fine time was had by all.. except the target

Post by Coach1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:35 pm

Well, I celebrated my birthday at the range on Saturday. It was a beautiful day in central NC. I put over 200 rounds through my brand new GSG 1911. I used Winchester plated hollow points at 1280 fps, 36 gr. The gun ran flawlessly and shoots great. The RO (USMC ret) liked it so much, he wrote down the make and model. This is a great alternative to a 22 conversion kit for a 1911 .45.. and a lot less costly to shoot. The sights are very nice 3 dots, the trigger is amazing.. the smallest amount pre / post travel and a very crisp break. There is a trigger post travel adjusting screw but the factory setting can not be improved (IMHP). The pistol includes ambi-safeties and a short-throw grip safety and cocbolo grip panels.

I stopped by my fav LGS to pick up a couple extra mags (a little pricey at $30 each). He warned me about the fragile baseplate.. but I don't plan to drop my mags to the ground. The mags are otherwise very solid.

He also showed me a just-arrived SIG Sauer .22 1911. It is a relabeled GSG 1911... apparently Sig is importing the guns now with Sig's name on them and asking $30 more for the pistol.

In summary, I could not be more pleased with my GSG. I will enjoy this one for long time.

greener

Post by greener » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Sounds like good buy and a good 1911 trainer. Size and weight seem to be very close to the real thing.

Glad you are enjoying it.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

GSG 1911 report

Post by Coach1 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi, I thought I would provide a follow up. This gun has been totally reliable for me since last March... except once.

I took the gun to the range about a month ago. After 2 rounds on the second mag went down range, the gun stopped running. The alloy barrel bushing broke across the bushing between the barrel and the recoil spring. I could not find the recoil spring cap but did find the spring.

I sent an email to ATI (the importer) and the same day they sent me a steel bushing, a new recoil spring cap and a replacement recoil spring buffer. (nylon to replace the original rubber one). The parts arrived in a week at no charge. The ATI / GSG customer service was excellent.

My LGS guy said he has seen that failure before and replacing the barrel bushing with any steel 1911 type will work.

I put 200 rounds through the gun today. It ran flawlessly.

mwwilkew

Post by mwwilkew » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:12 pm

At our montly steel plate match this morning, two of the guys in my squad were shooting GSGs. One of the shooters was a kid (maybe 14?) and the other was a "seasoned" shooter. The kid had a few FTE/FTFs during the day but the adult shooter did not. The adult said he was very happy with his GSG (other than the $30 cost per magazine since you really need 5 for SCSA). It has run well for him and he's happy with the quality.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

GSG 1911

Post by Coach1 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:01 pm

Perhaps the young man needs some help with his grip. Even a .22 LR pistol needs a good grip and stiff wrist to prevent FTE's. Field stripping and cleaning is not be a problem with this gun...very similar to a 1911 take-down.

The $30 mag price tag is a little steep. But I have the same complaint about my 9mm Para USA mags.