GSC 1911 22LR? Chiappa 1911 22 LR

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

GSC 1911 22LR? Chiappa 1911 22 LR

Post by Coach1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi. I have scanned the forum and do sot see where this was discussed already. So, for my first posting...
I have a MK III 22/45 slab side and love it. Thanks to Bullseye's great tech contributions I replaced the mag safety bits with a MK II hammer bushing and installed a VQ trigger with both pre- and over- travel adjustments. I love both mods. I am now interested in adding a 1911 (slide action) .22 model to my collection. The two of interest are the GSG 1911 (German Sports Gun) imported by ATI and the Chiappa model. The GSG has received some good press and I like the way it looks - extended thumb safety, cocobolo grips, and an advertised sub- 5 pound trigger. etc.
I would value any comments and / or opinions that the people on this forum can provide for either or both guns. Thanks in advance.

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:19 am

I have not handled or shot either of the guns, but I believe American Rifleman magazine reviewed the Chiappa and it looked like it was a pretty good gun for the money. Hopefully someone here knows more and could help you out.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:26 am

from what i've seen the gsg is worth the extra $ you pay for it I've read a lot of great reviews of it
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

-John Wayne

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:38 am

Wouldn't you want the one that most closely matches your carry 1911?
That's why I'm waiting for a compact variant from one of the .22-1911 companies ... until they mimic a gun I want a low-cost trainer for, what's the point?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 am

Welcome to GunTalk-Online!

Another option would be to keep your eye out for a Colt Ace 22. These are out there and do sometimes go up for sale in the used markets.

R,
Bullseye

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:30 am

:welcome Welcome aboard Coach.
I know nothing about the GSG. I have had the Chiappa 1911-22 for about a year. So far, it's been a good gun. I've even used it a time or two in .22 steel matches. The more it's used, the smoother it gets. It weighs 4oz less than the mil-spec 45s, and is designed to give similar recoil. The recoil is actually a little less than a .38 Spl in a full size gun, but more than the usual .22s. That is by design, supposedly, as Chiappa sees it as a low cost trainer for those who shoot .45s. Dimensionally, it is really close to a Govt. Model .45
All in all, I like it. No mechanical problems so far, pretty accurate, and runs every ammo I've put through it. Goes 'bang' every time the trigger is pulled. The internals are way different than the usual 1911s but everything is simple, and works as advertised.
Reviews are about 50/50 mixed. Lots of negatives on the different forums, but a large percent of that is from people who never shot one, and just assume it's junk because it's cheap.
Short version, I'm happy with it, and would buy another one if needed.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Thanks for those comments / posts

Post by Coach1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:51 pm

I appreciate the warm welcome and great response from all. Medicine Hat - thanks for such a clear, balanced assessment of your Chiappa .22.

I saw that the GSG advertises that it is a full steel frame and 80% of the parts are "1911 compatible" - skeletonized trigger and hammer even. Although that claim is very likely a stretch, it indicates a planned design to deliver a 1911, .22 pistol as a trainer for the 1911 and an alternate to a .22 conversion. This is all very interesting to me. There is a gun show at the NC Fairgrounds in Raleigh next weekend. I will attend and hope to hold / compare the GSG and the Chiappa. I will at least add a follow up report here of my impressions.

But, if other forum members have some insight, please share it with me.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

greener

Post by greener » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:54 pm

Welcome to the forum. I know a couple of folks who have the Chiappa and like it. A few years ago I looked into a .22 kit for a 1911 and decided that, for the price, I'd rather have another .22 pistol. Now I have a "spare" 1911 and the .22 conversion is beginning to look more attractive. Best way to match the look and feel of a 1911 is a 1911.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:44 pm

Welcome Coach. I have never shot one but a good friend of mine said he's got one now. So I am going to invite him to lunch after we go shooting. I think that'll work.. :lol:

SShearer

Post by SShearer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:34 pm

I got to shoot both brands and the GSG was closer to a true 1911. I got in on a group buy and got two of them. The frame has all the normal parts of a 1911, they are MIM but that was expected. The mainspring has a device that will not let you shoot without the magazine, (easily defeated).

It has the 80 series style safety. The sights are plastic with allen head set screws and two additional front sights one taller and one shorter. Field striping is slightly deferent due to the barrel set up. The bushing looks and installs the same but doesn't really support the barrel. The slide works like a 1911 but the internal parts are different

After working on the trigger pull, I sand bagged it at 25 yrds and was getting 2 and 3 inches with bulk ammo. It works best with high velocity to cycle the slide properly. It's not a match gun but it's very fun to shoot.

Coach1
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Will need to bring a magnet.

Post by Coach1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:32 pm

Hi, all. Thanks for the on-going interest and feedback. I posted above that a GSG web reference indicated the frame was steel. But others indicate it is alloy. And the barrel bushing in the first models was plastic but on recent versions is steel. So, it looks like I will have to bring a magnet to the gun show. The plastic sights are not off-putting. I would probably consider a high viz or other replacement in the near term - old eyes need all the help they can get. The mag in the Chiappa (2 provided ) is plastic. The GSG one is metal.

BTW, I did some web research to learn about the Colt ACE mentioned in an earlier post. Apparently, this is a discontinued pistol and therefore limited supply... and demanding a hefty used price tag. So, for now, I will leave those for all you collectors / shooters with deep pockets. :)
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." The Rolling Stones

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:28 am

Well Colt is now showing a 22 reproduction 1911 built by Walther. http://www.colt22rimfire.com/index.php?page=colt-1911

R,
Bullseye

greener

Post by greener » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:53 am

The weight looks comparable to a 1911. I wonder about it being made by Walther since I have a P22. If they aren't doing something silly like zinc alloy slide, doesn't look bad.

Bud's gun shop had one with adjustable sights for $358 listed but out of stock. I couldn't find anyone else who claimed to have one. Would be an interesting buy.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:20 am

Just looked at my favorite gun/tackle shop's used gun list. You can get a Colt Ace for only $2899.99. I'm sure they will dicker and come down on the price.

http://www.cpostores.com/greentophuntfi ... s/guns.pdf

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:30 am

Those prices look a little high for used guns. Is that just a starting point for negotiations?

R,
Bullseye