Why do some favor the Ruger mkii over a mkiii?

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Z400ACDC
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Why do some favor the Ruger mkii over a mkiii?

Post by Z400ACDC » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:11 pm

Does the LCI on the iii causing problems? I like my mkii gcl target. It is a pretty thing but, my mkiii 22/45 shoots great and has never given me a problem.
Ruger mkiii hunter, Lipsey mkii Target, Sig 2022, S&W 1911, Kel-Tec p3at, Sig P250sc, Taurus Judge, Marlin 60ss & 883ss

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:28 pm

I would not worry to much about the LCI, just keep it clean. As long as you are not having any problems. If it causes a problem it's not that big of a deal to remove the metal piece in it and put it back or leave it out. :)

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Mine is still intact. I use it as a need to detail clean indicator. Like previously said, normally if clean they do not cause any problem. I don't trust it for a loaded indicator, I physically check that. The ultimately safety falls on the operator.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:39 pm

The ideal Mark III would have been a Mark II with just the nice mag release added, but Ruger had to add the LCI and mag safety, too.

The LCI seemed to interfere with ejection on mine before it got replaced with my stainless filler plug, just for looks. If yours is shooting okay, leave it in.

The mag safety makes field stripping more complicated, and makes the mags drag when ejecting. Mine got replaced with a Volquartsen Mark II hammer bushing. Easier field strip, and the mags fall out easy.

I have a VQ Mark II accurizing kit arriving this week. Then instead of a modded Mark III, I'll have more like a hot-rodded Mark II with a nicer mag release. It took me two years to decide to do it. Rugers shoot plenty nice out of the box.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:11 pm

Neither of my MK IIIs have any functioning issues, but personally, I do not like the magazine safety feature. And like someone else has already pointed out, I don't use the LCI, I visually check the chamber instead.

Y

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:43 pm

I haven't had any problems with the LCI on my MKIII's and haven't removed them. I don't think they add anything to safety and the shooter is much better off making a habit of looking into the chamber to determine if the pistol is loaded.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:15 pm

I liked the mkii better because the price was right!....

personally the mag safety on the mk3 does not bother me (its not a defenseive gun, and no SD gun should have a mag safety IMHO) my S&W 422 has a mag safety an I never notice it is there. and the LCI does not offend me either (chamber check anyhow) my ppk/s has a LCI and it is a much better design and I like it....and I think its about 80 years older than the mk3's!

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:03 am

I own a MKIII and can say that the LCI does not seem to affect the way the pistol functions. I don't really like it, it is not needed, and diminishes the look or the pistol in my opinion. Most people prefer the mkii because it does not have the lci, and the mag safety. The MKIII is still a great gun and very accurate. Also I really like that the MKIII has magazine release up in the grip frame near the trigger guard, and that they come drilled and tapped with a scope mount. One problem Bullseye shooters have is if they remove any of the factory safety's, witch most do, the guns are illegal in certain matches.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:48 am

Some folks have had feeding issues with the LCI. Once it was removed the pistols fed normally. However this problem could also be attributed to a combination of factors some that center around the fit and operation of the extractor.

R,
Bullseye

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:49 am

After you install the oversize Mark ll hammer bushing in your Mark lll, and removed the LCI, you are basically left with a Mark ll with a mag release upgrade.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:03 pm

On my MK-III the mags eject far enough to get ahold of them and the LCI hasn't been a problem yet. I due have a Clark bushing ready to put in it if needed.

Now on my MK-III 22/45 the mags were a pain to get out so I put a Clark bushing in it and got a little better trigger pull to boot. I sarted to have stovepipes and FTE. I took the metal piece out of the LCI and put it back. No more problems.

Both my MK's now run very good and have been for about 3 months now. :D

CharlieBee

Post by CharlieBee » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:10 pm

Bullseye wrote:Some folks have had feeding issues with the LCI. Once it was removed the pistols fed normally. However this problem could also be attributed to a combination of factors some that center around the fit and operation of the extractor.

R,
Bullseye
I have four MKIII's. One of them (22/45) had feeding issues that I attributed to the LCI. Two of them had extraction issues. I removed the metal pieces from each LCI (thanks Bullseye) and replaced the extractors with their VQ counterparts. Voila. After many rounds from different manufacturers I have had no feed or extraction issues. Of course I get occasional FTF's because of the cheap bulk ammo I practice with, but that's another story.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:22 am

The Mark IIs weakness is the heel mag release latch. The newer Mark IIIs have the additional safety features like the LCI and the mag disconnect safety device. Removing the LCI and Mag safety provides better reliability and mags that drop free when released, plus now the three has the 1911 style thumb magazine release button up on the side of the frame.

R,
Bullseye

Z400ACDC
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Z400ACDC » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:09 am

Bullseye wrote:The Mark IIs weakness is the heel mag release latch. The newer Mark IIIs have the additional safety features like the LCI and the mag disconnect safety device. Removing the LCI and Mag safety provides better reliability and mags that drop free when released, plus now the three has the 1911 style thumb magazine release button up on the side of the frame.

R,
Bullseye
My LCI and mag safety has not given me any trouble, but I would like the mag to fall out. Do you have a link that show me how to do that?
Ruger mkiii hunter, Lipsey mkii Target, Sig 2022, S&W 1911, Kel-Tec p3at, Sig P250sc, Taurus Judge, Marlin 60ss & 883ss

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:16 am

If you can detail strip/clean your gun you can install a Clark MKII Bushing. It's that simple but some of the bushing fits the hammer pretty tight and needs some assistance in going on. The bushing has some other advantages too like removing most all of the creep, and mag disconnect is now MIA. :D

Here is the link to service section of this site. www.guntalk-online.com/service.html
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911