Regular contributor

What does the G and C stand for on a mkii 512 GCL

Post by Z400ACDC » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:17 am

I figured the L for Lipsey.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:04 am

GC stands for Government Competition model. You must have forgotten that I had written that in an earlier post- http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... 5735#25735

R,
Bullseye

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:34 am

Bullseye wrote:GC stands for Government Competition model. You must have forgotten that I had written that in an earlier post- http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... 5735#25735

R,
Bullseye
Bullseye, it means Government competition, but does it make the gun any different than the same barrel and frame that is not marked GC?
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:07 pm

The original Competition Government Model was made of stainless steel, sports a 6 7/8 inch slab-sided barrel, target recessed crown, laminated thumb rest grips, has target grade adjustable sights, was factory drilled and tapped for a scope mount and special Ruger style rings (which were included with the pistol). Until 2004, only competition model pistols came with drilled an tapped receivers. After that Ruger announced that all of their target version .22 pistols, those with adjustable sights, would come from the factory with drilled and tapped receivers and Weaver style scope mounts.

The government models were 6 7/8" Bull barreled variations of target pistols that Ruger made for military contracts in 1986. Since the line was tooled-up for these pistols Ruger started offering similar variations to the civilian market to help recover some of the extra production costs for special equipment used to create these target grade pistols to satisfy stringent government contract specifications. These pistols had tighter chamber specifications, 1:15 RH twist rate, and each one was test sighted on a special laser fixture at the factory. The test proof target was provided with each pistol for acceptance at the military contract receiving point. The 1:15 twist rate was determined to be the best twist speed for accuracy with the 40 grain Winchester target grade .22 ammunition already in government supply stocks at the time.

There were some special edition models made exclusively for distributors like Lipseys and Davidson's these Competition Government models were blued finish with 5 1/2" slab sided barrels and other specialized cosmetic components.

R,
Bullseye

Z400ACDC
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Z400ACDC » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:14 pm

Thanks for the info!!! I could not find what the GC ment on the other post, and I thought my disability was being a congential double amputee :D Thank again for all you do! I know I can come over here to get GOOD advise. God Bless!!!!

greener

Post by greener » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:27 pm

GC's are nice shooters. A friend's son fired my MKII GC yesterday. His comment was "bullets follow each other to the same spot."

Z400ACDC
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Z400ACDC » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:23 pm

greener wrote:GC's are nice shooters. A friend's son fired my MKII GC yesterday. His comment was "bullets follow each other to the same spot."
I can't wait to shoot it. I have a range behind my house. My daughters love it when I get out the marlin 60ss and the ruger mkiii target hunter. The Lipsey mkii is so nice, I will be more careful with it. 8)
Ruger mkiii hunter, Lipsey mkii Target, Sig 2022, S&W 1911, Kel-Tec p3at, Sig P250sc, Taurus Judge, Marlin 60ss & 883ss

greener

Post by greener » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:51 am

Can't think of much better than an outing with the kids. The Marlin and Hunter are great for kids of all ages.