My new toy

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

darwin-t

My new toy

Post by darwin-t » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:55 pm

MK II - 10" barrel. Red dot scope

I have some extra magazines from my MK III 22/45. Can't I just change the baseplates to use them in this? I tried switching baseplates on one and the rounds cycled through by hand alright.

Also, I want to shoot this at 50 yards - possibly even 100 yards - from a rest,of course. What might be some good ammo to try? Would the cheap bulk stuff from Walmart do it?

Alas, the custom grips are useless to me - I'm left handed. Does anyone want to make a deal to swap me for some stock grips and some $$? They look like wood, but I'd have to take them off to be sure.

This thing is so tight I can't remove the receiver. I DON'T want to smack it with a rubber mallet, especially with the scope. Any other ideas?

How many of these did they make?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:46 pm

I can answer some of your questions.

First you can use your 22/45 magazines with the baseplates swapped out with regular Mark II/III plastic bottom block baseplates. You might find that the magazines may drag a little when the locking bump passes through the bottom of the grip frame, but this is just a very minor difference and will not affect the operation of the magazines in your pistol.

Next, try all kinds of ammo. Cheap, more pricey, to expensive but try them all to see which performs best in your new pistol. Ammo performance varies greatly in individual guns, even between different weapons of the same model.

I see you've got a problem with grips. Hogue makes some nice left-handed thumbrest grips in the soft rubber contour. They are inexpensive, around $20, and feel real nice in your hands. Offer up your custom grips on one of the auction sites or even in the market place below in this forum. You'll likely make enough to cover the cost of a set of new Hogues and have a few coins extra too.

Fortunately your barrel is long enough where you can tap the rubber hammer on the frame in front of the trigger guard to separate the receiver and frame. If you have a tight receiver then your options are limited. I see that your scope sits way back so using the front of the pistol for a tapping point is your best option. Grasp the barrel in one hand and tap the front with the other. Just be sure to use a well padded surface to catch the frame as to not damage it after separation.

I don't do model production numbers or value quotes. Maybe someone else has the answers you seek for these questions.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye