Mark II frame cleaning

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

mwwilkew

Mark II frame cleaning

Post by mwwilkew » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:03 pm

I shoot a fair amount of rounds through my MkII with a suppressor attached. After a few hundred rounds, the inside of the frame is pretty well coated with "gunk" that would normally blow out the muzzle. I do a complete teardown a couple times a year but am looking for an easier, quicker, and more thorough way to clean out the frame in between teardowns. Does anyone use an areosol cleaner to clean the inside of their frame and blow out the gunk?

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Cleaning

Post by arizona-hermit » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:01 am

Many years ago I used to dunk a Standard model in a bucket of degreaser and then use a commercial air hose to 'blow it all out'. I would then dunk it in a bucket of old motor oil and repeat the blowout.

Only thing I did was remove the upper and the grips. I was very lucky I never lost any springs or pins I reckon.

Did that for several years, until I moved away from the garage I used to frequent. Never had any ill effects and the pistol kept on spitting lead like a champ.

Now, being a lazy ole fart, I just shoot 'em til they stop firing and then clean 'em.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:38 am

Some use brake cleaner since it's cheap. I prefer a gun cleaner since they have additives to prevent rust. Could use the cheap stuff first followed with Gun Scrubber. May want to look in to one of the dunk tanks systems.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:48 pm

+1 for gunscrubber or the other stuff like it. make sure you have good ventilation and something to catch the drippings.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:19 pm

Gunscrubber followed with a CLP wipedown works pretty good.
Now, being a lazy ole fart, I just shoot 'em til they stop firing and then clean 'em.
A while back I was cleaning them after every trip, no I'm pretty close to your frequency. :lol:

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:19 am

they usually get wiped down and lubed after aeach trip but only get cleaned after 500 rounds or so

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:33 am

Brake cleaner will work very well. It cleans good and evaporates quickly. Just be sure to lubricate afterwards because it will wash away any lube or oil.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:10 pm

smokey wrote:Brake cleaner will work very well. It cleans good and evaporates quickly. Just be sure to lubricate afterwards because it will wash away any lube or oil.
Don't forget to remove the grips before cleaning.....
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

mwwilkew

Post by mwwilkew » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:19 pm

Thanks for the responses.

glockeyed

Post by glockeyed » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:59 pm

blue68f100 wrote:
smokey wrote:Brake cleaner will work very well. It cleans good and evaporates quickly. Just be sure to lubricate afterwards because it will wash away any lube or oil.
Don't forget to remove the grips before cleaning.....

hehehe i bought the metal hogues to skip this step but found out the emblems didn't like the brake cleaner. :lol: