SIG Trailside

Discuss .22 pistols.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jambie

Post by jambie » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:56 am

Yes the spent cases are a pain in the face! Got a couple of them hit me right onthe safety glasses a couple of times. A baseball cap is de rigeur with this gun.
One other thing to get used to with this gun and that is if you shoot bullseye competition. In rapid fire you need to let go of the trigger all the way or it will not reset. Had a heck of a time tonight with this. I had to remind myself to let the trigger go once the shot was fired.
I also agree that the stock grips are not quite up to snuff. I would like to put a set of anatomical grips but they are not yet available at larrysguns.com
What did you think of the trigger?

JimK

Post by JimK » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:51 pm

Hey Jambie, A couple guy's I shoot with called this morning and we went to the range for a couple hours. I took the MKIII, 22A1 and the Trailside and you know....., although the Trailside functioned flawlessly with no FTF/FTE's on WM Federals and impressed my buddies with it's accuracy and reliability.... I'm realy not sure I like the gun. It just isn't as fun to shoot for some reason and I can't put my finger on it. The trigger is nice and I personally have no problems with rapid firing the gun.
In the first place, it's not near as comfortable in my hand and those shells bouncing off my facd and glasses and flying everywhere frustrate the hell out of me. I hate those cheap plastic magazines and they're a pain in the ass to load and then to top it off I heard they were discontinuing making the Sig Trailside and that really pissed me off.
Obviously I'm down on the gun right now so forgive me if I'm being unfair. Maybe after I get a scope on it and see that it will work ok without the shells beating the hell out of it my attitude will change, BUT in the meantime~~~~.
Today all three of us had Ruger MKIII SS Hunters with 67/8" fluted barrels and then we all had one or two of the following: a S&W 22A1, Bretta Nero, Browning Buckmark Sig Trailside and a Walther P22. The Rugers, 22a, Buckmark and Sig had no FTF/FTE's and did very well. The others had little problems once in a while, but nothing big except the Nero and it's a PS (I don't know if it ever made it back to it's house...ha~). The P22 was the least accurate then the Nero. The Browning owner didn't like having to remove the rear sight to clean the gun, I didn't like the Trailside, but we all loved the MK's eventhough we l new the Ruger was a pain in the ass to clean so it was a wash as far as likes and dislikes go.
I love that little 22a and before the day was over I think S&W might have sold a couple of those little jewels.
Anyway Jambie forgive me for rambling on, but in answer to you question.....the trigger was great.
Cheers,
Jim

jambie

Post by jambie » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:11 am

Well, Jim, that is why there are so many different 22's out there. I do like my mark III, but I do have some problems with it. In particular I dont like the feel of the trigger after I shoot a lot. It feels gritty. I have a tigger guard for it, and that helps a bit, but the sear is exposed to all the dirt. The Trailside does have an advantage in that the sear is at least better sealed from all the grime.
I have had no problems with the magazines but when I load them I tend to drop the rounds rather than push them in. I think this may extend their life. And yes, they are pricey. Fifty dollars at the range where I shoot, but I have seen them for about 30 dollars in gunbroker.com
True that they have been discontinued, but their twin, the xesse, a european model, is still being produced and larrysguns may carry them in the future. Parts are still available so I would stock up on things like firing pins and springs.
I am not one to leave my guns to my grandchildren. I plan to wear them out. Figure 100,000 rounds on the Trailside and I will have gotten my money's worth :D Come to think of it, 100,000 rounds at about 200 dollars/5000 rounds comes out to 4000 dollars woth of ammo. The expense of the gun is the least thing to worry about.
Still hunting around for a digital camera

JimK

Post by JimK » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:52 pm

:D Jambie, I got lucky today. I was telling a neighbor (retired FBI)about my disatisification with the Trailside even though if functioned flawlessy and he ask to take a look at it. He's quite an outdoorsman and he and his wife are avid campers and travel everywhere in their RV. Anyway he wanted to get a small caliber pistor he could teach his wife to shoot and they could take it with them on their trips and while hiking or camping out.
We ran over to the range and he liked it and bought it for what I paid + the extra mag. Got lucky... huh?
I then went to the gunshop and picked up a Ruger P512 Target, 22/45 stailless 5" bull barrel for $299. I think I'll tinker with this one and see how jazzed up I can get it. Trigger job first for sure and then grips and then...???????ha! Pic's to follow.
Jim

jambie

Post by jambie » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:06 pm

Jim:
Congratulations on your new Ruger :D They are great guns.
Too bad the Trailside did not work out for you but that is the nature of the beast. Like shoes, gloves and women, they have to fit or they are a real pain.
I am shootig the Trailside just about everyday and am shooting more acurately the more I use it. Now if I could only shoot as good in competition as I do in practice.

JimK

Post by JimK » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:54 am

:D Thanks Jambie, I know I'll be much happier with the Ruger KP412. Your going to do just fine in competition buddy. I'll be anxious to hear how you do when you decide to give her a go.
For me, I go to hell in a handbasket inside, but do much better outside. Can't figure that one out. Anyway, Can't wait to see the pic's of your Trailside with the Ultradot on it and as soon as I get the new Ultradot4D from Larry'sguns can mounted on the 512 'll take and post them.
Jim